• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Aid/Survival Kits for sleds?

B
Dec 31, 2007
Lolo, MT
What has anyone found for first aid/survival kits that they use on their sled?

At our monthly club meeting Tuesday we had a guy who used to volunteer for S&R speak and he told us all the stuff we need to take with us. The avalanche.org site has a HUGE list of items you should carry with you.

Has anyone found a kit with most this stuff in it that'll fit in a tunnel bag and backpack? There are thousands of choices. Amazon had some waterproof ones in different sizes, but didn't say specifically what was in each size and the dimensions were all tweaked. The Aerie Backcountry Emergency Medicine site had kits that were twice the money as the Amazon ones for the same thing.

http://www.avalanche.org/~nac/slideguide/new_slides_2/slide3.html

D
Nov 30, 2007
Bozeman MT
I think the comercially available ones are pretty overpriced for the stuff they come with. Maybe a group of you from your club could buy the equipment in quantity (i.e. 10 gauze pads per box) and split it up. I buy from here http://www.boundtree.com/ for my work not sure if they'd sell to the public or not. http://www2.mooremedical.com/index.cfm would also be an option. My personal kit fits in an approx. 4"x8"x3" zipper bag and contains. 4x4 gauze pads, triangle bandages, tape, some 5x9's, Latex gloves, a pocket mask (small), some tongue depressors, ace wraps, gauze rolls, EMT shears, and I have a scalpel and various BIG IV needles, steri strips and some small bandaids. Travis

Q
Nov 28, 2007
Island Park, Id
Tunnel Bag
Personal Items:
Goggles and Towel Bag
Gloves
Balacalava
Toilet Paper
HotPot (Lunch or Melt Snow)
Lunch
Survival Kit (Sealed in a Vacume Seal Bag):
Emergency Blanket
Fire Starter
Matches in Waterproof Holder
Candle
Wire Saw
Signaling Mirror
Whistle
Pencil Flares

Sled Tools:
Shovel
Snobunje Rattler
Tow Strap
Flashlight (self charging)
1/4" Surgical Tubing

Sled Repair Kit:
Duct Tape
Zip Ties
Parachute cord
Tie Wire

Handlebar Bag
Energy Food and Snacks
Cell phone
GPS
Camera
Shamwow towel
Sunglasses
Water
Firstaid Kit
Leatherman
Heat Packs

G
Oct 10, 2008
I think everybody's setup is a little different but i carry mine in a welding rod tube it is waterproof and you can wrap string, duct tape and electrical tape around it so your not carying big rolls . i also have an aluminum cup taped too the lid to melt snow i do have a few items that don't fit like a saw and mirror but for the most part it is cheap and works great. it also fits all our tunnel bags and ATV bags perfectly

T
Jan 19, 2008
Hinton
Those snobunje survival kits are pretty cool. I just don't think I would ever be able to get all that stuff back into the case if I opened it.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Sheridan WY
I have been involved with EMS since the early 90's, used to carry lots of med gear with me. I guess I couldn't stand the idea of doing things different then I would out of an ambulance. Found that is a lot of stuff to carry.

EMS shears and duct tape will fix most fixable problems in the back country. Use what ever the injured party has to bandage, splint, etc before you dig into your own gear. Extra clothes, avy shovels/probes and backpacks can splint about anything. Extra clothes bandage stuff. Nothing wrong with a pocket mask.

I do not carry IV supplies since I have no way to keep the fluid warm enough that I wouldn't be risking further temp loss to the injured lying in the snow.

This is only my opinion for the area I ride in. We are a minimum of 60 minutes away from an ambulance showing up(if you are fortunate enough to get hurt in a lodge parking lot) normally it is 90+ minutes.

I would recommend BEC or EMT classes for anyone who goes into the backcountry. I have taught classes in improvised splinting at The Big Horn Mountain Trauma Conference. Some education, experience and confidence go a long way with limited supplies to work with. Anyone who is in the medical field can take a Wilderness Advanced Life support class and come away with lots of ideas for the backcountry emergency.

After a lot of rambling here is I carry less but try to carry things that have multiple uses.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help someone else in the backcountry.

J
Jan 31, 2008
my favorite list/kit

Survival kit contents from Dr. Strangelove (Movie):

1 .45 automatic.
2 boxes of ammunition.
4 days' concentrated emergency rations.
1 drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills.
1 miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible.
100 dollars in rubles.
100 dollars in gold.
9 packs of chewing gum.
1 issue of prophylactics.
3 lipsticks.
3 pairs of nylon stockings. --2

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB

Survival kit contents from Dr. Strangelove (Movie):

1 .45 automatic.
2 boxes of ammunition.
4 days' concentrated emergency rations.
1 drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills.
1 miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible.
100 dollars in rubles.
100 dollars in gold.
9 packs of chewing gum.
1 issue of prophylactics.
3 lipsticks.
3 pairs of nylon stockings. --2

Dude, are you sleddin or trollin on the otherside of the tracks, on second thought this is not good?

Premium Features