• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What am I missing? 93 Phazer help

S
Nov 26, 2007
OLYMPIA,WA
I am really getting pissed at this old sled.
It doesnt want to run,I have replaced the cables completley took apart the carbs and cleaned everything in them.
I can get it started but it doesnt want to idle.
I have adjusted them per yamahas spec's choke and throttle play are within range.
once it does start it seems real boggy under throttle til about 4500 rpms (on the jack stand).
Lost for ideas. anyone have any thoughts besides throwing the pos in the garbage.
Or a decent sled mechanic that knows how to work on these antiques in the south puget sound area.
The sled is for my 8yr old daughter otherwise it would be a ball of fire right now.

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Take some wd40 and spray it on the crank seal. If anything changes in idle, you might have a crank seal leak.
Those sleds have a diaphragm fuel pump I believe, and if there is a hole or a leak in on of the gaskets or layers, it might not be getting the fuel it need.

My et340 did this at one point, and the 480 had a lot of the same systems/

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
Things to check

1. A fouled plug
2. Throttle overide switch
3. Mouse nest in the muffler or some kind of restriction
4. Reed valves
5. Freeplay in oil pump cable, what kind of oil do you use? I've had problems with Phillips Injex mineral based oil.
6. Check compression, should be 85 or 120, can't remember for sure.
7. Take the head off and clean the carbon off, it makes big diiference in performance.

B
Sep 24, 2008
Western Slope. Colorado
any one had any success changing the carbs to mikuni flat slides?
these butterfly carbs are crap?

No need. I have a 93 and never had 1 problem with it.. Serious about the rubber plugs in the carbs though.. You put them over the holes that you wouldn't think.. As said before my buddy did this and it would hardley move itself. Fiddled with carbs, left boots off for a test run, RAN SCARY good, said welp... we fixed it. Put the boots back on same bogging. Did that about 4 times before we figured out the wrong holes were plugged.

O ya and make sure your oil lines are hooked up while your in there.. :eek:

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
any one had any success changing the carbs to mikuni flat slides?
these butterfly carbs are crap?

I know this is pretty obvious, but I had a screw come loose on a butterfly carb, and it ran like crap.. it was for linking both carb butterflies, so only one opened..
YOu should also test your stator, it could be acting up.. so many things .

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
OLYMPIA,WA
yep the plugs are in there correct as per manual, I pulled all the jets,needle valves,tubes you name it.cleaned them all
I was starting to think stator as well...how do you test it.
anybody have some flat slides they want to sell that will work?

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
yep the plugs are in there correct as per manual, I pulled all the jets,needle valves,tubes you name it.cleaned them all
I was starting to think stator as well...how do you test it.
anybody have some flat slides they want to sell that will work?

I tested my outboard motor stator with a fluke meter with a loop. It showed the pulses per minute on each spark plug wire, and one wire was not showing as high RPM. I know there is a better way, but that is how I figured it out.

C
Sep 18, 2003
Keenesburg CO
Another obvious question, how old is the gas? For some reason my son's phazer will not run worth a crud if the gas is over 4 months old...most sleds will run on older gas, but for some reason, his will not. Might sputter over, but won't run. Drain and replace, it will run fine. It's just sensitive I guess.

S
Nov 26, 2007
OLYMPIA,WA
nope gas is new, I think I am going to trash the Butterfly carbs and try some TM flat slides on it as soon as I find some for it at least.

Looking for a pair of Mikuni TM 36-38 mm Flat slides carbs..

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
No need. I have a 93 and never had 1 problem with it.. Serious about the rubber plugs in the carbs though.. You put them over the holes that you wouldn't think.. As said before my buddy did this and it would hardley move itself. Fiddled with carbs, left boots off for a test run, RAN SCARY good, said welp... we fixed it. Put the boots back on same bogging. Did that about 4 times before we figured out the wrong holes were plugged.

O ya and make sure your oil lines are hooked up while your in there.. :eek:

So which ones do you plug? Service manual shows the pilot jet open and the other 2 plugged but is it right?

B
Sep 24, 2008
Western Slope. Colorado
So which ones do you plug? Service manual shows the pilot jet open and the other 2 plugged but is it right?

Pretty sure it's the other way around. Pilot should be capped.. Let me go double check the Clymer manual..

BRB...

Yup pilot capped. I think thats what throws people off. You would think the opposite.

Heres the breakdown Part #15 is the pilot #27 is the cap. HTH

http://www.gvpowersports.com/fiche_...ry=Snowmobiles&make=Yamaha&year=1993&fveh=567

Well that didn't work... But just select carburator in the drop down box and it will give you the detail.

Last edited:
Premium Features