• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Georgetown Lake Area

A

addam27

Dec 9, 2008
There is enough snow to ride on the groomed trails. It gets better as you get higher. Off trails, just watch for bumps and you'll make it through. I don't know the area very well, it was my first time, but I wanted to put some information out there/let people know it is ride-able. We didn't get very high but there is definitely a lot to explore up and around.

Derick

A

addam27

Dec 9, 2008
Lindsey's Version of Georgetown Lake mobiling

We wanted to go to Cooke City. Who wouldn't? As the day would have it we slept in and stayed closer to home. Derick called Georgetown Lake and a woman answered, "yes, there is enough snow, the cat is grooming it right now." It was bound to be a good day. Derick without snowmobiling is a fish out of water.
At 11:30 we left Missoula for this snow playground. The cast included a beater suburban, a make-shift trailer with a twenty-year old sled, three dogs, a young, happy couple and a mishmash of gear.
The directions to get there go something like: "turn right before the ski area." It was vague but we followed the snow and there it was, a giant parking lot tucked into the woods with one other truck and signs of sled-life--tracks!
Derick didn't wait to bundle up or pass of instructions before climbing onto his toy and jetting around through the lot, up over the hills and back. I pulled out the camera quickly, still hiding from the cold in the back of the suburban, and took two pictures through the dirty windows.
I got dressed, no details necessary, and hopped on board. Trailed by three pups we found the cat path and went full throttle into wonderful, fresh white. After a few miles the retrievers were returned to the car. Lena, my princess pit cross would follow us for a total of twenty miles (her choice).
I can't recall it all for you, my eyes are recovering from the wind and my brain is a little high on the exhaust but IT WAS PERFECT. In the three hours we were out, we found nice stretches of pedal-to-the-metal, open areas for getting-stuck practice, hills of powder for some wild verticals, trees to weave, and a cool old guy and his crazy mobile being towed by the cat.
I noticed the headlight on the snow, signaling nightfall and Derick put a foot into a hidden creek so we returned to the vehicle REALLY satisfied. 52 miles of life done well!
A location-appropriate bar/restaurant just outside the park filled our bellies.
I'll end there... so pleased and ready to ride again.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
so where exactly did you go ride from?? what kinda elevations, and snow depths??

glad to hear there is snow, got some guys from over in butte gonna be riding there, so just like to hear some updates.

donaldej

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Corvallis Oregon
He would have gone up Red Lion. If there is enough snow and you always stay to the left you will get to Granite Ghost town which is just above Philipsburg. There is some good riding up there but you either need to stay on the trails or have good snow. It's a lot like Butte in that it has Granite rocks (boulders) everywhere. About 7-10 miles up the road from the parking lot there are some fallen down cabins on your right, use to be the town of Red Lion. Ran in the late 1800's for about 20 years with around 200 people. The mine's are up the hill behind the cabins. Lots of history up in that area.

Word of advise WATCH OUT FOR MINES !!!!! Most are marked or have steel grates covering them and you can usually see the pile of tailing's around them. I've never had a problem with any but it's just something to keep in mind. This is true of course ANYWHERE around Butte. I have many years of my life in and around this area.

Since I'm stuck in Oregon i have only been able to keep up with the snow conditions at the ski area, glad to hear there is at least enough to groom. I will be up with the sleds on the 20th for several weeks. Hoping for more snow.

The Gables (the bar where you turn and go up to red lion) usually has snowmobile maps and GREAT Chicken. There is usually a New Years poker run from the Gables if anyone is interested.

DJ

Dec 10, 2008
The snow is ok up redlion for this time of year, can get off the trail a little would be pretty careful though couple more dumps should be good to go the poker run is up there on sat the 3rd of Jan registration is at the brown derby this year. grand prize is two nights lodging in cooke city with some spending money should be a good time as always.

Premium Features