• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FNG with a burned down 800 Mountain Cat

O
Dec 1, 2008
Bozeman, MT
First of all, I apologize if this is too basic a question but searching never yielded quite what I was looking for. :eek:

I quit riding a few years ago and just got bribed back by a friend who found me way too good of a deal on a burned down 01 800 Mountain Cat w/ a 16" wide 159"

The motor has a stock pipe and can, 3 degree key, and head is shaved .030"

The sled supposedly burned down because one of the coolant hoses had a small hole and leaked out all the coolant, I suspect it may have something to do with the shaved head, timing key, and pump gas (91)

The sled has 2300 miles and I'm weighing my options for the rebuild, either way the cylinders need to be re nik'd and new pistons.

I am trying to build a reliable pump gas sled to get back into things but as we all know, stock isn't fun for long. Any build advice would be greatly appreciated (some harassment is deserved to for ever stopping riding :D)

Rumor has it 900 jugs and pistons are a bolt on affair, requiring only a set of 900 heads and pipe to complete it.

I've also heard rumors of boring it even further for m1000 pistons.

Should I just take out the timing key, put stock heads on it, and rebuild it to stock to start?

Could you guys shed a little light on my options for a reliable and affordable rebuild? The sled was $800 so I'm trying to keep this a fairly low buck affair but I also want to do it right and sometimes the upgrade is the same cost as a basic rebuild.

Thanks for any and all help :beer;

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
You can bore your 800 cylinders and use stock 900 pistons. I wouldn't bore 800's any farther than that because the bridge between the main exhaust port and the two smaller exhaust ports gets pretty thin and can crack. You can bore 900 cylinders and put M1000 pistons in. This gives you about 975 cc because the 800 and 900 engines have a shorter stroke. You have to put a shim under the cylinder though because the M1000 piston is about 0.100" taller from wrist pin to top of piston. I have had some shims made from 050 aluminum and put an 020 base gasket on either side to bring it up close or you can stack base gaskets. I have three of these running all last year with no problems except some detonation on the first one because of too high compression and not enough squish band clearance. I am just down the hill in Ashton, Idaho if you would like to talk. PM or email jkned@ida.net

O
Dec 1, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Idcatman1, thanks for the response. I would assume I have to go to 900 powervalves to match the 900 pistons? Also, what is pipe compatability? If I put twin pipes on the 800 will they also work on the 900 or 975?

Thanks again for the help!

Premium Features