• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

high alt clutch help

Nov 20, 2008
I have a 99 zr 500 with a clutch kit and it runs great at 0'-1000' and i know i have to change my weights and jetting but will i have to take out the clutch kit and run the stock springs. Ive herd if it runs good at my elevation just leave it and change the weights, and it should be good can anyone help me out i did change my gearing as well. i know clutching is complicated im just looking for some general info so its close enough to have fun out there and not have to be messing around all the time changing things around thanks

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
when you say high altitude...how much change are you talking about?....and are you going trail riding at high altitude or are you planning on off trail as well?....in general, using lighter weights will work if it's just trail riding...but if you plan any off trail riding, you will need a shallower helix (about 6 degrees) a little stiffer spring in the driven, and maybe in the drive clutch as well...maybe the best recommend would be to call a dealer in the vicinity of where you intend to ride and see what he suggests

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I have no idea what clutch setup was in the sled, as I sold it 2 yrs ago, but it was clutched to run at 8800-9000 rpms and the sled RIPPED for a 500. I had the clutching/jetting/gearing set up by Alpine Motorsports in Kremmling, CO and it was the best $400 I ever spent on a sled. It felt like it had more power at 9kft than it did in WI with factory clutching.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
^^ what he said. Or if you want to pop the hood and look at what the factory recommends. They'll be CLOSE but probably not perfect like a shop from the area could get you.

Premium Features