• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Phazer won't go!!

F
Nov 9, 2008
Anybody out there have any insight as to what might be goin on here. I just picked up an 07 Phazer MTX turbo'ed on Friday. Fired it up drove it around the shop to the ramp, loaded it up shut it down. Got home unloaded it, fired it up and backed it into the garage, let it run for abit and shut er down. Went out tonight tried to get it started just turns over, fires abit but won't start, now it doesn't even seem like its firing! Checked the fluids they all seem to be good, haven't checked the plugs yet, thinking fouled plugs are more of 2 stroke thing, starting to think injectors.

grimis99

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
i would check the plugs as phazers tend to foul them if you start them up and shut em off right away. something to do with fuel curve. may be from previous owner. may get more help over at www.ty4stroke.com, its specific for yamaha 4 strokes.

F
Nov 9, 2008
bang on the money, pulled the plugs and they were black as f@#k, Another question is the plugs I pulled out were stock, should the plugs for a turbo'ed engine be running a couple of steps colder??

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
replace your plugs, Next time dont shut the sled off until the warm up light on the digital readout has gone out. Phazers are notorious for this, Ty4stroke is where the turbo phazer crowd hangs out, and run stock plugs.:)

reed4rmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Clackamas, OR
You might check the gap. When I first got my apex turbo'd it ran like crap after the boost came on. Went through everything and checked it twice and it still didn't help. Someone on here suggested narrowing the gap on the plugs, Evidently as you increase your hp then your gap should be narrowed, or something like that. I googled it and there was quite a bit of confirmation. I pulled the plugs, decreased the gap, made a world of difference, sled ran great after that. Don't know if that's the same for all boosted sleds, worked for me though. Good luck.

C
Oct 20, 2006
cheyenne wyoming
You might check the gap. When I first got my apex turbo'd it ran like crap after the boost came on. Went through everything and checked it twice and it still didn't help. Someone on here suggested narrowing the gap on the plugs, Evidently as you increase your hp then your gap should be narrowed, or something like that. I googled it and there was quite a bit of confirmation. I pulled the plugs, decreased the gap, made a world of difference, sled ran great after that. Don't know if that's the same for all boosted sleds, worked for me though. Good luck.

i know on my tapex they need to be about 19 to 20 thousands

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007

Are you running a headshim are lowcompression pistons? Just wondering if that is why the plugs need less gap?

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Under boost, if the gap is too wide, the pressure makes it difficult for the electricity to jump (blows out the spark, sorta)

K
Is the fouling of the plugs only a problem on the Turbo Phazers?
I have a stock phazer that I just picked up this year and it takes forever to get it to fire when cold. My sled tech thought it may be valve adjustment or plugs:confused:

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Under boost, if the gap is too wide, the pressure makes it difficult for the electricity to jump (blows out the spark, sorta)

Thanks man thats good to know.:beer;

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Is the fouling of the plugs only a problem on the Turbo Phazers?
I have a stock phazer that I just picked up this year and it takes forever to get it to fire when cold. My sled tech thought it may be valve adjustment or plugs:confused:

o7 phazers turbo and non had problems starting when cold, there was a update for a new ecm and a different spring for the decompression valve, Ask your dealer about it. If you cycle the fuel twice (turn the key on and let the pump do its thing ) before a cold start it will help the sled start some when its cold.

grimis99

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
as far as i know just about all phazers have trouble fouling plugs. the 07's have a bad cold start problem but if u complain to dealer enough they can put on the cold start kit. it helps a bit. the kit is a recall of sorts, they will on install for free if you make it known to them that u need it, same as the rear suspension link on the 07 short tracks, had to break to get it fixed.

K
o7 phazers turbo and non had problems starting when cold, there was a update for a new ecm and a different spring for the decompression valve, Ask your dealer about it. If you cycle the fuel twice (turn the key on and let the pump do its thing ) before a cold start it will help the sled start some when its cold.

Thanks for the help guys!:beer;

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
X 2 Our 08 non turbo starts right up cold...if you let the fuel pump run till it quites then hit the starter. Dino

Premium Features