• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avy Training in SE Minnesota

For all of you mountain riders from southern MN or northern IA who can't make any of the Avy training courses being offered - one is now being offered in Rochester. See the details below!

Four Hour Avalanche Class Specifically for snowmobilers

Learn: How to avoid the most common mistakes, what equipment works best, how to rescue effectively, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, analyze stability and increase your skills in the mountains.

Take the class with those you ride with.

Cost $45 payable the night of the course -Must sign up in advance-

To sign up: Call Mike Duffy 970-390-9433 or email duffyww1@aol.com

Date: December 10th

5327 East Frontage Rd NW (55th St Exit off of Hwy 52)
Rochester, MN 55901

Time: 6pm-10pm

To sign up: Email Mike Duffy: duffyww1@aol.com or call 970-390-9433.

Instructor: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader/avalanche mission coordinator Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Wiz what should we be expecting from the class.

Will it be a bit different for me having never been out west?

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Wiz what should we be expecting from the class.

Will it be a bit different for me having never been out west?

No, he teaches it from the stand point that there have been too many midwesterners that are killed every year, 'cause they had no knowledge whatever about avalanches, or how to avoid trouble areas.
There are several levels of avalanche courses, and this course is "Basic 101."

Briefly, the class is exactly what you need before going out west.

Towards the end of the session he will show and demonstrate some basic beacon locating techniques.

Sometimes a slope that looks tempting to climb with untracked snow may be a deadly avy waiting to slide. He will show many pics of what to look for in "reading" the snow.

The 4 hours moves along fast, and you will be wanting to learn more after its over.

Last edited:
Premium Features