• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1st snow 09!

Dec 4, 2007
pa
200811191752051.jpg

200811191735251.jpg

200811191741131.jpg

200811191744091.jpg

200811191748351.jpg

200811191752052.jpg

200811191754392.jpg

200811191756591.jpg

200811191734471.jpg

200811191758261.jpg

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
Aawwweeeeesooommmeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well i was there and my 503 ran like poopoo so i ran the 800 hawk 136" for a bit and was very impressed in the 2-3 foot of powder with wet heavy bottom to it.more impressive was the aprillia 550 with the EXPLORER on it!!!!i was skeptical at how the bikes would do but they flat out rip! even compared to the 800 hawk ,the bikes did extremely well. even the little ktm 250xcfw woods bike.i didnt ride the honda 450 but the others siad that was their first choice...when the funds are there i will have the kit on my bike!!! i was sold on the idea within minutes.i wont sell my hawk but i need an explorer kit!!!! as far as beginners go...way easier learning curve than the hawk....explorer rides just like a bike,light and nimble....mike dont home yet....another 12" is on the way by friday!!!!!

This will be long winded BECAUSE I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!!

1st Snow of the year was in Little Valley, NY on Jim and Dot Frentz's Dairy Farm! Thanks to them for the use of the property!!

Mike,

I would like to Thank You for allowing my sons and myself and a few friends too, for the chance to ride the Explorer kitted bike's WE HAD A BLAST!!!! and as a matter of fact you trailer is in my driveway NOT!! I HID IT SO YOU CAN'T LEAVE!!! LOL!!!

I was the 1st to ride the "BRANDNEW, NO Snowtime" kitted Aprilla 550 After getting Stuck more than once (mind you 28" of heavy powder). Mike came out on his 800 Snowhawk and helped me to get going we went back to the trailer and extended the ski all the way up and Moved the track ahead (this took less than 2 minute!!!!!!!) I was back off and running!! ALL I CAN SAY IS THE CHANGE WAS AMAZING!!! Although I love my 503F SNOWHAWK, I will be honest I was a bit skeptical ....... ALL I can say is WOW!! The learning curve was non existant for anyone who hoped on it including the kid who didn't want to get out of the truck cause he didn't want to get cold, LOL!!
or my youngest son (18 yrs old) who has less than 4 hours of time on a dirt bike since he was 5. He has called me 5 times last night and today already asking if Mike was still here becasue he loved the KTM 250 XCWF so much and wants to ride again today and Now wants sell his snowmobile and 4 wheeler to get one!! and He hates dirt bikes .. and had never ridden or even asked to ride my hawk, Go Figure! Now to oldest son (19 yrs old) He came home form College 2 hrs to check it out and ride one he races MX and rides my Hawk all the time. He was calling me at 7 am this morning asking When we can get one!! The learning curve was this ... if you can ride a motorcycle you can ride this and feel comfortable in less than 1 minutes HONEST!!! and it is more sure footed than in Loam of Unadilla oon a perfect day of motocross with brand new tires!! anyone who rides mx will know what i mean!!

I rode for almost 3 hrs on (on the KTM 250 XCFW, Honda CRF 450, and the Mighty Aprilla 550) Deep Powder and rutted up stuff and all I can say is wow I want to ride it on Groomed trail you will go faster and with more comfort than ever before. The nice thing about the Aprillia was the Head light / Taillight. but then mike brought out the Cyclops helmet headlight OMG that thing is incredible!

In my 25 yrs of racing Motocross / Harescrambles / TT, Snowcross
I think this kit was the coolest thing I have ever played on! it gives you the abilty to make your bike the ultimate playtoy and the kit is 1/3 the price new sled and less storage space ..... OK I'LL SHUT UP NOW!!

IF ANYONE WANTS ASK ME QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE

THANK YOU AGAIN MIKE !!!! LETS HIT THE TRAILS THIS WINTER!!!

STEVE MATHEWSON
SUSPENSION SYSTEMS
716-244-3842
I have parts in stock for your Snow Hawk forks and shocks
Oil changes, Seals, Valving

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
typical steve....................

man he can go on forever..... like my wife, and im not talking about in bed either...lol blah blah blah..lol hey i ***ured out my troubles...a torn air filter and they were both waterlogged! no wonder it wouldnt run!!! i hear another 12+ inches headed your way. we better call mike and tell him to turn around!!! i NEED another spin on the explorer...

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
time and place?

when where and how many friends can we bring this time....ill bring some gas or some cash for another "test" ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! forecast is for another 12+ inches by friday!!!!!

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Nice to read such interesting comments from Snow-Hawk guys on the kit !

When I'll be back in Qc during christmas time, I'll probably go for a ride with the AD Boivin crew, Max invited me for a test ride.

Even though I'm very scheptical, I can't wait to see if the kit will outperform my 144" 800 ! Being an ex-motocross racer, i think I'll be able to ride it without too much problem and compare it to "the real thing" ! ... And actually come to my own conclusion !

Did you guys had problems with the brake line to freeze ? I had that problem when i was winter riding the motocross track near my parent's place back a few years ago... Of course in deep snow & with a track you don't need super-motard braking power !

You have to use your motocross boots for shifting right ? If the weather is cold, that's a problem as well.

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
i rode the dirt scooters with my snowboard boots on and didnt have too much trouble with the shifter...maybe that aprillia has a special shifter...lol
im in for saturday as long as my hawk runs, cleaned carbs, rigged the pod filter, fixed my leaky exhaust pipe. worst case ill have to bring 877 some local chicks, im sure steve can arrange something for your stay mike........

nice to read such interesting comments from snow-hawk guys on the kit !

When i'll be back in qc during christmas time, i'll probably go for a ride with the ad boivin crew, max invited me for a test ride.

Even though i'm very scheptical, i can't wait to see if the kit will outperform my 144" 800 ! Being an ex-motocross racer, i think i'll be able to ride it without too much problem and compare it to "the real thing" ! ... And actually come to my own conclusion !

Did you guys had problems with the brake line to freeze ? I had that problem when i was winter riding the motocross track near my parent's place back a few years ago... Of course in deep snow & with a track you don't need super-motard braking power !

You have to use your motocross boots for shifting right ? If the weather is cold, that's a problem as well.
just have to add my 2 cents .... Having raced motocross for 25 years i like you wwwaaaasssss very skeptickal!!!!

I personally only ride my hawk with mx boots, knee braces and chest protector and kneck role and 90% of the time with regular mx gloves and mx helmet with a balaclava (sp)! I do have moose heated grip tapes and cyrca bark busters but i have over 1000 miles last year dressed like that and i never get cold. If it is 10 degrees or less i wear ski gloves.

Chances are if your rear brake froze up you had moisture in the line and need to bleed them which is kinda common. Garantee if you ride it you will fall in love with it. I can't wait to ride it on groomed trail.

Try it you will love it!!!! Promise!!!!
Steve

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
fearthe ride!

how about saturday afternoon? we are supposed to get another 2 feet by saturday?????? i think 877 will still be up this way his dirtsnowbikesnowmobilemotocrossmachines....

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Holy snap another long reply from me... Sorry guys... !

just have to add my 2 cents .... Having raced motocross for 25 years i like you wwwaaaasssss very skeptickal!!!!

I personally only ride my hawk with mx boots, knee braces and chest protector and kneck role and 90% of the time with regular mx gloves and mx helmet with a balaclava (sp)! I do have moose heated grip tapes and cyrca bark busters but i have over 1000 miles last year dressed like that and i never get cold. If it is 10 degrees or less i wear ski gloves.

Chances are if your rear brake froze up you had moisture in the line and need to bleed them which is kinda common. Garantee if you ride it you will fall in love with it. I can't wait to ride it on groomed trail.

Try it you will love it!!!! Promise!!!!
Steve

Suspensionsystem,

I have no doubt that I will love it ! The question here is am I gonna love it more than my Hawk ? That's what I'm skeptical about ! I presonnaly turned page on motocross on the summer of '07. Just the idea of washing that freakin dirty filter almost every ride (because I loved riding sand tracks, the last year, that's the only thing I rode, Deschambealt Qc, don't know if you've heard of this track !!!) and all the damn cleaning & travelling around all that... It just didn't made any sense to me anymore to spend more time taking care of these babies than riding them... Now what I have in mind for summer is Jet Skiing and of course surfing, that's the way to go in summer if you've got an ocean not too far ! The girls, the ocean... doesn't compare with a mouthfull of sand, dirt & mud everywhere... i know motocross is not these 3 things but that's how I ended up seeing them... so I quit ! I must admit though that the mouthfull of sand was pretty cool when you're battling with one of your buddy... !

That being said, riding around 10F is still something that can be done OK with mx boots & gloves. But I still think it's a problem to ride MX boot below 0F (-18C). And you gotta think about it: on a motocross, you won't have a belly pan protecting you from the wind, you're gonna have both of your feet & bottom of your legs fully exposed, and on trail riding at a decent speed, you're gonna have lot'sa wind !

It must be pretty cool to ride trails with these though ! I've done trail riding with Hawks and I just think it's a lost of time (don't get me wrong here, I think it's a TOTAL lost of time with a sled... !) I prefer backcountry riding.

Does the lugs on the explorer track have a dedicated shape for screwing on some ice racing screw like the 136 Hawk track ? Back east, you'll probably find ice spots on most corners... When I added the ice studs on my 503, I knew exactly when I was on ice, 110% traction !!!

Any customer installed it on a CR500AF 877SnowHawk ?
How's the power on a CR450F for example compared to your 800HO Hawk ? I know lots is lost in our clutch/pulley system and a ridiculous amount is probably getting to the track. On decently deep snow like the pictures you posted, did the 800 Hawk just smoked the bikes ? How's the autonomy with an 8 liter tank ? Honestly ? I know 2moto said somewhere that they were smooooking us big time. Can you validate that ? I mean, you know the answer ! (maybe not with the 2moto kit but you know the answer with the explorer kit !) The pictures are there to show it, there was a guy with an 800 Hawk there that must have tried them both ! Honest answer please !

PS : i'm not trying to bash on the kit here, my thing is mountain back country & powder riding and I think a Hawk will end up being a better machine for me than any MX with the kit... unless someone proves it to me ! I'm a super open minded guy ! If someone with an explorer kit just smokes me big time in 30" of bottomless pow at 5000' without cold feets & without running out of gas throughout the whole day, I'll sell my hawk and get one right there ! If I'd be in Quebec, I may think of buying one... but the deep snow is just too nice here in BC... !

Thanks !

Thierry

I
Jan 4, 2008
Palmer AK.
Hay guys is there any body bringing a explorer kit to Hawk fest? I to would like to compare the two on a side by side run. I have raced dirt dikes and ride street bikes. What scares me is a guy up here bought one and now has it up for sale. Now I don't know if it was a explorer kit or the other one and I also don't know his skill level.

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
explorer is crap...

hey tell that guy the explorer is a piece of crap and ill give him 750-800 for it and no more, they just arent worth it........ill give an extra 5-10 bucks if he has the right fit for a honda crf250x! lol. tell him to put it on ebay with no reserve for me.... ill never get rid of the hawk,but id sure like to have a kit on me bike! as for the steep and deep,id go with a hawk...but they were going better then my 503 that day....well compare again saturday if my hawk is running right. compared to the 800 hawk....not to far off that day.even the deep heavy snow made the 800 work!!! 877 should be putting up some video soon, i saw a camera rollin that day

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Buyers beware!!!!!

Just received my WR450 kit tonight. This makes the second time in a row that I have received a kit WITHOUT SNOW!!! I made it a point when I ordered from Mike to make sure he included snow with this one, but I guess you Western New Yorkers think you need it more than I do. (BTW...I lived in Franklinville until '77) Oh, and nice "Wide Right" Monday night! (GO BILLS!)

Anyway, assembled the kit and installed it in approx. 6.5 hrs from start to finish. I am very impressed with the quality of materials, instructions & ease assembly. All the parts just fit as they should.

The kit for her CRF250X has been out for a short test ride with minimal snow, not enough to give a good report, but she likes it so far.

PLEASE SEND SNOW

DSC01540.JPG DSC01548.JPG DSC01549.JPG DSC01550.JPG

Premium Features