• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bother setting up for MN

M
Sep 4, 2007
Minnesota
I go out west 2-3 times a year. Own a 08 D7 155. I don't even bother changing my weights to ride around here. If it snows like it did in 96-97 I'm sure I would but it's pretty much a waste of time and risk of stripping a bolt. Curious to see how many others have given up on MN winters. Live in west central MN near Alexandria.

T
Mar 3, 2008
burnsville mn
haven't rode around here for about six years. used to go to the U.P. or eagle river, wi every once in a while, but haven't done that in a couple years either. it just doesn't compare, plus i dont want to trash my sled ditch bangin here and cost myself a trip west

Last edited:
M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
Hey Mad,
I'm in alexandria and sold my custom IQR 136 660 conversion at haydays and will be borrowing a sled this year (06 fusion shorty) and renting when i go out west. I will be buying a true mountain sled next year. Heck i rode two weekends around this area last year! Last five years maybe a hand full of times i could drive from my garage without having to trailer north or west! if it wasn't for the wife and kids riding on marginal snow just to get them out it would have been less!!!!!

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
Haven't changed sleds back for MN riding since 1997, most years take sleds out west and leave them or buy new out there and leave it. Have some old beaters back here to run around on.

M
Sep 4, 2007
Minnesota
My sled is on the trailer waiting for the first trip out to West Yellowstone. Don't leave til Jan. 11th. Just leaving it out there this year between trips (if I don't need to bring it home to fix anything). I'm sure I'll get the itch to take it out on the lake here for a lap if it snows. Seems like I do it every year. Just have to watch the RPMs with the light weights in.
Man I wish it was Jan. 11th!

N
Apr 7, 2008
Litchfield, MN
Yea...Im with you. My M is set-up for out west only. If we get any snow here I will test & tune it here only to get it ready. Otherwise Im riding an old 79 leafer to have a little fun with the daughter here. We will be out in Island Park on Jan. 17th just west of ya. Have fun & be safe. Litchfield, MN here neighbor.

F
Nov 8, 2008
Lowry, Minnesota
Damn, I'm from the Alexandria area too. I'm north of Lowry. I bought an '09 Summit 800x 154 for going out west. I haven't really done any riding around here in four or five years. But I'd like to get some miles on this sled before I head out to Cooke City on January 17th.

davidhahn15

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2008
Fargo ND
When i lived in warroad mn i didnt think the winters were that bad, we take the long trackers out and ride the lakeshore which is really fun, other than that trails i thought were decent. Although the last 2 years i havent bothered changin the sled over as i live in grand forks now. Just sit and wait until the next trip out west, as all flatlanders know.. its worse than waiting to open christmas presents!:D First trip this year dec. 30 to jan 4 in cooke city, anyone else going to be there?

M
Sep 4, 2007
Minnesota
Damn, I'm from the Alexandria area too. I'm north of Lowry. I bought an '09 Summit 800x 154 for going out west. I haven't really done any riding around here in four or five years. But I'd like to get some miles on this sled before I head out to Cooke City on January 17th.

Haha, I'm 5 miles north of Lowry.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Have a 2005 summit with 2000 miles and 175 miles are from riding in MN. Most of the MN miles are from the 1st year I bought it just cause I wanted it broke in before going out west. I think I put 12 miles on in MN last season. Just like a lot of other people I gave up on riding in this state.

S
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, MN
For a D7 just go to heaver weights and run it around here if we get deep enough snow. I usually make 1 or 2 trips to devils track to find a little pow. Most of the time I leave it ready for out west. All the MN mtn riders need to meet up for a ride sometime in MN.

W
May 14, 2008
Iron Range
Switched to an Assault from my 136 Pro-x. Most of my buddies and I are all riding Moutian sled to and can't wait for winter to rider, with swaps, ditches, power line and the knowledge of some old guy's that can show you the place they use to ride be for were even being talked about, I hope to put 2000 mile on my sled alone just around here and were out as much hyfax as I can.

Summer Sux

J
Dec 24, 2007
I live in Duluth and switch my sled every time. I'm from Finland , Isabella area and there is snow there every year. Last year we had a long drought up there but december gave us waist deep snow to get us through till it snowed again. It is only 60 miles from duluth but well worth it because after december you can usually ride up there.

I ride in minnesota and put on about 2000 miles every year. Probably because i live in northern minnesota and we do get a fair amount of snow every year. I love riding in minnesota, and i've been out west, but i guess the really deep snow doesn't really matter to me. I just love to get out and rip the lakes, ditches, swaps, power lines and trails. Its a part of my life i guess, i used to take my snowmobile to school and work in the winter.

S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca
I have my '09 D8 RMK set for MN. I want to get the sled broke in before I head out west. I will do a fair amount of riding in the U.P. and McGregor if there is snow..

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
I have my '09 D8 RMK set for MN. I want to get the sled broke in before I head out west. I will do a fair amount of riding in the U.P. and McGregor if there is snow..

B you know there's no snow in McGregor.....all though once 2 or 3 years ago we had enough to explore and damnit if we ever see 3-4 feet on the ground again.....well you and jonce may want to drive up and come play with me. I found some spots that have hints of the UP too them.

And not many folks know about them.

But like I say, the riding around McGregor and on Minnewawa is totally lame and really really sucks and is boring;)

Premium Features