• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 turbo needs strong Y-pipe

C
Jan 31, 2008
Running M8 with Boondocker turbo with stock Y-pipe and pipe will not stay together. Have had to brase several times. Has anyone had luck with a stronger aftermarket Y-pipe. Please advise thanks

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
l have stock and d@d and a speedwerx y pipe and looking at them i would say the stock is stronger...???..alot of m8 turbos out there...l havent seen posts of other guys having troubles..is the ypipe stressed when tightened..???

feetsbig

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
B.C.
brazing is not for use on exhaust components at all.You must steel weld,be it tig ,mig,or oxy/acet with mild steel rod.Brazing should not be used when you have heat or vibration,or a butt joint(like a crack)

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Maybe the springs are to heavy I did get stronger springs because they kept breaking maybe this sacrificed the Y-pipe.

try the stock springs again but as well jam them good with high heat silicone in and around the coils after installed...they should/may last ok then

C
Jan 31, 2008
I have another stock pipe but reluctant to install it. Stock springs last for no longer then a good rip across the field, at least 2 out of the 12 will break. What will the silicone do for the springs? Should the silicone be spread around the Dounut?. I will try it if it will help.
Sounds like there is not a stronger pipe out there.
Iam in Northern Alberta

D

Daniel Boondocker

Dec 1, 2007
Idaho Falls
Squeeze a bead of high temp silicone (usually orange silicone in copper colored tube in parts stores) from end to end along the top and down through the rings to help minimize vibration. Works pretty good, but their might be something else going on if they are breaking that quick. You can get clamps with bolts that are made to fit in place of the springs from someone like SLP. Maybe get a new doughnut seal from them too. 208-529-0244 There are others who make similar kits to replace the springs. Check with who you bought your turbo kit from and they may have a favorite.
There are also some aftermarket y pipes. Twisted turbo's uses one. Speedwerks I think. Push turbo's also. I think he makes his own. There is another one. Some say they are not needed. Just try something until you find what works. There is a good thread on this aftermarket y pipe for cat turbo's a few weeks back. They had a favorite.

Last edited:
S

schu

Nov 26, 2007
Houston, AK
You may try gas welding it. The tig focuses the heat in one spot and can make the metal around the weld brittle. Gas welding will heat up the entire thing which will make it softer. This is why most aircraft fuselages are gas welded, even today.

schu

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West
BD recommends using stock y pipe and pipe with all kits, anyone know if there are any after market companies making exaughast that make more than 200 hp on the m-8 pump gas kits?

C
Jan 31, 2008
BD only has one major flaw with there turbo kit, that is not providing a stronger Y-pipe. I can't see any M8 owner wanting to run pump gas on a 200hp Mod Sled. I would say there is no 200hp exhaust combo on pump gas, and you would not get there with pipes alone.

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West
I think i was misunderstood, i ment to say are there any aftermarket exhaust systems that can be used with the m8 pump gas turbo to get over the 200hp mark and still use 91 and not blow seams out?

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I usually keep some spares on hand just for this reason. I weld the seem on mine, but afer all the ones I have gone through, some seem to be welded better from Cat than others. The seem doesn't crack anymore, but the center of the Y-pipe, down in the "crotch" area, cracked like a spider web.

C
Jan 31, 2008
I usually keep some spares on hand just for this reason. I weld the seem on mine, but afer all the ones I have gone through, some seem to be welded better from Cat than others. The seem doesn't crack anymore, but the center of the Y-pipe, down in the "crotch" area, cracked like a spider web.

What type of welding have you done on the pipe? Have you tried any aftermarket pipes?

J
Nov 26, 2007
Cache Valley, Utah
Heres an example of my "crotch" problems on my TM8. I just got it sandblasted and noticed this fine little crack starting. I'm going to get it welded to keep it from spreading.

(Note: The discoloration on the pipe is from heat drying the pipe after they were cleaned. Got it a little hotter than I wanted.)

SD530001.jpg

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
We certainly experienced a fair bit of Y cracking on turbos last year. In testing, the thinner aftermarket Ys cracked worse, more, and sooner than the stock Y. This year as a precautionary measure we bead blast all turbo Ys then preheat them and gusset weld the known problem areas as well as all the seems, beed blast again, then paint and install. The Speedwerx TM8 exhaust will come with such a Y standard.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Cache Valley, Utah
For us rookie welders what exactly is bead blasting and whats the process. I hate welding thin metal I usually end up with a bigger mess than when I start. Thats why it pays to have friends that are good welders I guess...

Nov 27, 2007
calgary
I had trouble with breaking springs, had to radius the flange where the springs sit, I have not broke a spring since.

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
Glass bead blasting (like sand blasting) to clean and prep for proper welding then again to relieve surface tension when finished, also propagates mechanical adhesion of paint or ceramic coating. I use a TIG but a good MIG welder can do just as well.

Premium Features