• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"MN Fouled Plug"

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Where were the deer?

LOL, One decent buck, a couple doe's and a couple yearlings have been hanging around my yard and the neighbor's yard since the season started.

I can walk out to the shed, and they just stand there about 50ft from me . They got this hunting "thing" figured out. :D

I'm surrounded by about 1-1/2 miles of undeveloped woods. so there are always deer hanging around here.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
nothing and I mean nothing not even tweety birds and squirrels was moving this weekend.

lots of buck sign and some nice pics on the trail cam in a undisclosed MN swamp.

T
Mar 3, 2008
burnsville mn
nothing and I mean nothing not even tweety birds and squirrels was moving this weekend.

lots of buck sign and some nice pics on the trail cam in a undisclosed MN swamp.

yup, i would sit right up to end of shooting and not see much of anything but a couple of does. Had about a three mile hike back to the truck in pitch black and was kicking deer out left and right. they must be waiting till dark to move. We hunt in SE Mn

T
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
Skunked

6 doe's in the buck only area. scrapes, and rub's everywhere but no buck's. The ****ty part is I have been bow hunting and let a 4 and 6 point go by so I could hunt with my family. Now if we get shanked again next weekend I'll have to try my bow area again,

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
I will second the nothing moving last weekend!!! 45 mph winds on saturday probably didn't help, Bro got a small fork that is about it! My brother in law's party (who always does well) again got some some nice bucks 3 8's, with one being very nice! Oh well i don't hunt second weekend so now its time for snow! Oh and its snowing in alexandria right now!

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Same story here. No deer moving. That wind was cold! We'll see what this weekend brings.

Borderstaff

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
St. Paul MN
My wife shot three bucks (a 14pt 8 pt and 4pt)- I shot two does. We limited the group out by 8 am Sunday morning. The 14pt should gross well over 150 before deductions - too bad the drop tine broke off of it would have been a 15pt. but he's still getting put on the wall. It was my wife's first buck in 9 years of hunting...well worth the wait in my book.

Attachments

• laurie deer.jpg
    laurie deer.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 65

Borderstaff

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
St. Paul MN
Her secret is that she's hunting from the stand I've used the last 15 years and always get a deer or two out of. She begged to be moved into the woods so she would see more deer than the edge of the field she used to hunt in. The number of maintained scrapes around her stand was crazy - I counted at least 15 within 150 yards of her. We have 200 acres north of Wadena MN that we use just for deer hunting - a deer this large is rare there though as all the bordering neighbors put stands on our property line. I counted 14 bordering stands last year. It does help that half the neighbors are terrible shots, unlike my wife who hit the heart on 2 of 3 deer (and double lunged the 3rd)- remind me to never piss her off!

M
Oct 15, 2001
Forest Lake, MN
Problem everyone isn't seeing deer as much this year, is because alot of areas still have corn standing. Deer are still in the corn fields.

Not much happening around my area.

I did manage to fill my tag with a small buck 8 minutes into the hunting season on saturday morning.

I thought it was one of the big does I have been trying to get with my bow. but when i walked up to it it was a 5 point. I hunt in a pine forest right 150 yards from our cabin and it was pretty hard to see even with legal shooting.

If I would have seen his rack I wouldn't have even shot him. I usually wait for the bigger guys if I shoot a buck.

But like the old man said, count it as the first deer/buck we have gotten on the new land.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
borderstaff get a good taxadermist. i had one that had a broken tine 150+ gross deer and he made a new tine and you can't even tell. he charged an extra $35. it heips i had a pictured of him before he broke it. pm me if you want his #. he charged $500.

Borderstaff

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
St. Paul MN
Blu Du, my wife's cousin has had about 28 deer mounted to date. 20 or so by John's Taxidermy south of Hastings MN. He's tried others but wasn't satisfied with their work. So, by recommendation from a very picky cousin, we used John's. I talked to her about adding a drop tine and she didn't want to as that wasn't how the deer looked when she shot it. The tine looks to have been broken off for quite some time now - and it was broken off in the 6 different trail cam pictures we have of the deer from more than a month prior to harvesting it. She dropped the deer off last Tuesday and we probably won't see it again until next October.

Premium Features