• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gearing for 2005 800 RMK 159"

Z
Nov 4, 2008
Wondering if anyone has any advice on how to set up gearing for riding in Togwotee, WY with a 2005 800 RMK with a 159" track. I just bought the sled and will heading out to Tog in March. Wondering if I should look into changing the gearing. Also wondering what I should be running for main jets and weights on the primary.

Thanks,
Craig

Z
Nov 4, 2008
The sled has a stock pipe. I have heard a lot of people say to go with the 19/43 gearing and the 74 chain. I think I am going to take that advise. Several have also mentioned powder skis.

Thanks

M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
If you are having trouble holding r's with gearing nice and low like that it's time to do some clutching my friend

That's a Doo for you. I had to drop to 19/46 with 10t drivers to keep the RPM's up. And my clutches are working great.

And it's not just me, there are a lot of Doo guys gearing like this. Sadly it seems to be the truth of the TRA primary clutch.

M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
I have 2 words for you doo guys.....Polaris p-85 primary. ok that wasn't exactly 2 words but you get the drift

The only problem with that is that the P-85 is so much lighter than the TRA that it loses the flywheel effect, and it's hard on cranks. Why it is alright for Poo's, and not Doo's I don't know. The fix for us seems to be a clutch made my Polar, but they are hard on spiders, so for now, I guess we have to swap our gears out for everything we want to do different.

Either way, for that sole reason, I envy you guys. LOL.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
I ride a 2002 Polaris Edge 159

Port the Track I hope, I ride a 19 -41 all the time. Cooke City is the real Test.
But at 8-9 K 19 -41 will do if the Clutch is set up. Put yellow springs in the VES valves.

Premium Features