• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tell me about West Yellowstone

M
Nov 29, 2007
WI/MN/WY
A group of four of us are looking at possible riding destinations for around Dec. 28 to January 7 or somewhere in there. How are the snow conditions for West Yellowstone at that time usually? Where are the cheap places to stay? How are the local dealers, specifically the Cat and Polaris dealers? Is this a fairly busy time of the year to come? Thanks for any info.

D
Mar 6, 2003
MN
A group of four of us are looking at possible riding destinations for around Dec. 28 to January 7 or somewhere in there. How are the snow conditions for West Yellowstone at that time usually? Where are the cheap places to stay? How are the local dealers, specifically the Cat and Polaris dealers? Is this a fairly busy time of the year to come? Thanks for any info.

See the "Inviting all Snowmobilers to West Yellowstone" thread. The guys there will take care of you. West has full blown dealers for both Cat and Polaris. There is also a nice hardware store just down the road from the dealer if you need misc stuff.

M
Feb 7, 2008
Bozeman,MT
If you are looking for on trail and off trail riding, west is the place for you. If you are interested in more back country riding i would suggest heading to Cooke City, the riding is pretty mellow to extreme. The whole setting in Cooke is pretty amazing. You will have a great time in either location.

800Cat

Nov 27, 2007
Montana
Like said before West and Cooke are both pretty amazing. If your looking to do extreme rideing then head to cooke for that. Not much for a trail system at Cooke either. West you can have pretty much any type of riding you would like. You have trails, powder, and some great all round riding. West has more to offer as far as hotels and restraunts go. If you are taking the laidies with i would suggest West. No matter what you pick you'll have a great time. Good luck!

M
Nov 29, 2007
WI/MN/WY
Thanks for the replies. Is West fairly similar to Togwotee? I've been there three times and have really enjoyed that mix of riding. I'd consider Cooke but there isn't much there for lodging. We won't be doing much trial riding, probably just enough to get to some play areas. I'll be taking a bunch of rookies with so West is sounding pretty good. How is the snow around New Years? When we were at Tog. last year over new years it was fluffy and bottomless. Should I expect the same at West?

J
Jan 5, 2008
MN
West yellowstone, you can't go wrong

Went to TOG last winter for the first time, it was alright. Dosen't compare to services available in West Yellowstone. If you choose west, book your lodging with the Golden West . They have hotel rooms and many condos to choose from, plus if you have any sled problems Kurt would be willing to set you up with the right conections to get things fixed.:cool:

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
One thing west has over Tog is everything is about half the price. Crowds are dropping ever year and the nite life is the best of anywhere I have ever been out west!!!! I rode there the last 12 years over New Years and it is a amazing how the storms almost always hit during this time frame.

M
Nov 29, 2007
WI/MN/WY
What is the best route to get to West from Minneapolis? Which roads are closed during the winter? Would we have to go down through South Dakota into Wyoming and then up into Montana? Or is it possible to get there by going across North Dakota and then through Montana and down? Also approximately how long does it take? Thanks.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Kurt at goldenwest is great people, knwos the riding areas like the back of his hand...and if you buy him a beer, will even ride with you...and he has a killer shop to work on your tragedy events...

the Polaris dealer is really strong (Darren or Jarod? cant remember the guys name) but have friends taht had their whole sled rebuilt overnight, and they had them on the snow the next day..., cant say I know enough about the cat dealer...

LOADS of places to ride right from town, personally prefer a little out of town, like the cabin creek, tee pee creek, Jefferson, Lions head, Taylors Fork, buck creek, etc. etc.
but if you want to stay in town, you can ride from Kurts and burn all the gas you can dream of!!!

here are a few pics...from...April...LATE april last year...

TaylorsFork.jpg

TaylorsForkMtn.jpg

SunlightBasin.jpg

mikesnorkelling.jpg

jerbustin.jpg

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
IMO its the best place to snowmobile. The services are fantastic and the riding is even better. You gotta try the pizza @ Wild West Pizza. To die for. Those pics look like taylor fork?

M-Ate, West has it all; Snow, mountains, snow, endless meadows to play in, snow, lots of boondocking, snow, plenty of restaurants, snow, lots of lodging, snow, miles of groomed trails, snow, gift shops and imax, snow....well maybe we don't have a bittie tar but we do have snow! Look Kurt up, he has a nice place. If he's booked up we'd be glad to help you find something that'll work for you guys.

M
Nov 29, 2007
WI/MN/WY
Thanks to everyone that replied to my thread. I've taken your advice and have a trip planned for the end of December into early January. As recommended we will be staying at the Golden West. Would anyone be interested in riding with us or giving me some advice on some good spots to ride?

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Thanks to everyone that replied to my thread. I've taken your advice and have a trip planned for the end of December into early January. As recommended we will be staying at the Golden West. Would anyone be interested in riding with us or giving me some advice on some good spots to ride?

Kurt will MORE than hook you up!!!!(he and Shell own GoldenWest) he generally rides with his hotel guests...and if not, PM me, I will be in the area, and can either point you in the right direction or possibly hook up...

I usually dont ride right in West but outside it...So might require trailering to a locale...I will have my kidlets with me and it will be their first ride ever (sleds are Christmas present)

Go (to) West M-Ate

Absolutely go to West and Absolutely check in with Kurt and Shell at Goldenwest. Your rookies will get all they want with the variety of riding that's there. Great views from the trails, and anywhere from easy to very challenging off-trail stuff, backcountry, boondocking. The North Dakota Sled Dogs usually go out the first week in Jan. and have never been disappointed. West just has a great feel to it and it's very exciting to be around there in the winter. If you need night life, you can find it, but Kurt's condos are nice and it's great to crank up a fire and drink 'til you're all smart right at home! Watch out for that shop guys are telling you about at Kurt's. It gets pretty drunk there!!!!!!:beer;

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT

I will probably be in Big Sky around that time. I snowmobile around west often and would show you a place or two.

Thanks for the reservation and "we" will make sure you have a GREAT trip.....

Premium Features