• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Winter Wildland Alliance response

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I wrote WWA and thought I'd share what their response was.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Winter Wildlands Alliance and your views on snowmobilers and skiers on public lands.

First I’d like to tell you that WWA does not advocate at all for the removal of snowmobiles from public land either publicly or privately. Simply put, we are the only organization that specifically represents quiet, human-powered winter enthusiasts and their values to public land managers and elected officials on the national level. We do try to work with snowmobilers on many levels where we can and where we can have productive conversations about how to fairly share our public lands in a way that provides a quality experience for the majority of Americans who value non-motorized winter recreation opportunities. In fact many of our grassroots member groups are in ongoing collaborations with snowmobile groups to do just that and to negotiate balanced winter recreation management plans that accommodate motorized and non-motorized recreation fairly. Your suggestion of designating areas close to parking lots that are off limits to snowmobiles has been implemented in some areas and works in some cases when properly enforced and agreed upon by all user groups. One local area in our neck of the woods has a gentleman’s agreement to that effect, but people don’t always know about it or care so skiers often get fed up and don’t go there. Closing just a few slopes doesn’t always meet the needs of a huge population of folks that seek peace and quiet in winter wildlands. Non-motorized areas need to be large enough to provide that sound buffer to allow for the kind of experience many people are looking for.

You are also right that today’s snowmobiles are much more powerful, and thus capable, of getting further into the backcountry and on much steeper terrain; places that historically skiers have pretty much had to themselves because snowmobiles couldn’t go there. The growth of snowmobiling and the ability of the machines to reach deeper into the backcountry have created a lot of conflict in high use areas and those are the issues we typically deal with or focus on. Shared use in many areas simply does not work for people who go out into the woods to get away from machines, noise and people zooming around them.

I know snowmobilers are very passionate about their sport and I have several friends and acquaintances (mostly from growing up) who are avid riders. Some are more extreme in their views than others and unfortunately the extreme ones tend to be the ones that get heard the most. The stance of many snowmobile clubs and advocacy groups that makes it difficult to have productive relationships with is the “No Net Loss” stance, which basically says there shouldn’t be any land off limits to snowmobiles more than there is currently. The fact is that many quiet enthusiasts seek experiences away from snowmobiles for several reasons and typically will not recreate in areas with heavy snowmobile use, effectively taking their access away from that particular piece of public land. I personally don’t have a problem with occasionally bumping into a snowmobile in the backcountry, but that’s not the problem. The problem is when you can’t have easy access to areas that aren’t overrun by the machines to find the quality experience that you seek.

We are not enviro-zealots as you suggest and we don’t represent enviro-zealots, although just as in the case of snowmobilers with extreme views there are those skiers who are extreme in their views as well. In fact we are a reasonable organization that advocates for balanced management of public lands and winter recreation. We could probably go on forever talking about what is “balanced management” and perhaps we would still come out on different sides of the issue, but from our perspective the way our public lands are being managed currently heavily favors motorized use on public lands in winter. We try not to be one-sided and welcome conversations and debates about the issues with snowmobilers.

Thanks again for your comments and feel free to share your views with us again.

Charlie Woodruff

Can you believe he said heavily favors motorized use on public lands. These people are clearly blind.
I said that it seems like their mission is to erraticate snowmobiles and that letter was the response to it. I also said there is plenty of non-motorized areas and there starting to get greedy. With a comment like public lands favor motorized use they are clearly greedy.

Last edited:
A

aadougie

Nov 26, 2007
Bigfork, Montana
Thanks for posting. These guys are politicians - lots of talk, but never say anything... They will never admit the truth that they want to eradicate motorized recreation on all public lands.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
These guys have a formula. They go into a forest service area and convince the manager there is conflict, by creating a conflict log for skiers to fill out. They then hold a series of meeting with skiers, to convince them there is conflict, and teach them what to say to instigate action. (I got all of this from a skier that told me what they were promised.) The meer sound of a snowmobile counts as conflict, as well as a trench through a hillside. They then ask for compromise. You can guess who does the giving, and who does the taking in their form of compromise.

They negotiated a "comprimise" near Stanely Idaho, got a large section of snowmobile terrain closed for xcountry skiers, right next to a defacto wilderness area (Sawtooth NRA). They couldn't use the wilderness area, because of their damn machines (skate ski groomer). Yes their just as dependent on oil and gas as we are. I'm sure it doesn't make any noise.

The gentleman's agreement he referred too, is Pilots Peak. It started out as a meeting with 10 snowmobilers, and 40 skiers, they made a huge list of hills to close. Then we got on here, and started screaming, and about 200 PO'ed snowmobilers and 30 skiers showed up to the second meeting. They made the mistake of claiming that no one discussed closing anything, but I had a copy of "their" minutes from the previous meeting. So, it was obvious, they were lairs. Things went down hill from there (for them). About, 100 snowmobilers and a 30 skiers showed up, the forest manager clearly just wanted to be done with it at this point. Funny, but they actually brought security to the last meeting.

What they wanted was for us to move our parking lot down the mountain towards Idaho City, give them the parking lot at Mores Creek summit, close all hills around Mores Creek, and have us trail through. Mind you, we paid for that parking lot, pay to have it plowed ($18,000 a year), and pay for grooming the trail. When asked, they assumed we would continue to pay for grooming the trail, that we now couldn't use, to their new parking lot. And, they had no intention of paying to plow the lot either. And, we had to take trail mileage out of our system somewhere, to make a new trail down to the low level parking lot. Pay for a new environmental impact study to install a new bathroom and lot. Oh, by the way, there are two other lots in the area, that are skier only lots (Gold Fork and Banner Ridge) and they don't pay to plow them either, the transportation department does it for free. Anyway, they lost and got only a gentleman's agreement to stay off one hill. the hill dumps back onto the road, and is nearly impossible to climb, by the average snowmobiler. Most skiers I've talked to were happy with the agreement. And, a they all still use the area. There's actually a write up about it in BRC mag.

WinterWildlands also has a media manipulation class every year, where greenies can learn to "deal" with the media. They are tightly affiliated with Snowlands out of Tahoe. Share several cross board members. And, several of their members are on the Sierra Club board also. They also have college credit assignments, where you can volunteer to help them, and get credit. They have recently began getting government grants to teach children the joys of human powered recreation. Last time I checked they had about 10 full time paid positions.

If you really want to ruffle his feathers. Ask him why his group doesn't concentrate on developing access to wilderness areas already in existence, rather than take snowmobiler access away. His answer is standard, the wilderness is to far to drive too, and they don't have any money to plow roads and parking lots, and bathrooms, and environmental impact studies. And, you can't have a skate ski trail in the wilderness. There's 1.5 million acres of wilderness close to Mores Creek parking lot, but their too important to drive over there, and to cheap to develop parking and access. That's why we call it McWilderness.

Edit: One more thing I ran into. They consider supporting snowmobiles to mean "trail riding only". The ones I've run into want to ban all off trail riding, but will talk about "supporting snowmobiling". I always tell them a trail is only good for getting to the "snowmobiling". :)

Last edited:

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
Just ask any one of them why they have never supported an opening of an area currently closed to snowmobiling. Yeah it seems like a dead end conversation, but once you mention that the snowmobile community has supported certain closures in the past, Charlie's letter below reveals itself as the pile of garbage that it is.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Here's my response to his email.

The fact that you said that public land heavily favors motorized use proves your organization is just greedy. My old mother from the Midwest who hasn't a clue on what's going on out here in the west with public land use laughed when I quoted that from you.
Over 50% of Montana's public land is Wilderness which doesn't count the de-facto areas, study areas and other areas where motorized users aren't allowed BUT they haven't officially been kicked out yet even though the Forest Service will and have ticketed them for being in.

Sounds fair and a sounds like a motorized favored place to me.

Haven't gotten a response yet and it's been over a week.
Wonder if he just doesn't want to deal with me anymore or if he's gotten nothing to say now.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I know they were monitoring this website during the McCall Travel Planning. It's a good bet they already read this thread.

:eek: I wonder if that is good or bad for us?

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Well, I've talked with our local political consultant here (a very highly respected snowmobile rights warrior), and the consensus is let them read it. Informing the public works for us. Way I look at it, where the ones telling the truth, the worst we could do is expose lies.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
snob, send the entire converstation between the two of you to a local paper or talk radio show. That will get attention. I have done this on several matters and gotten if nothing else a letter back to the paper attacking me. But it gets peopel talking and that's what we need.

Folks start thinking, "man they have this much motor free land all ready, and now they want to take away ohter lands, yet still have the old users pay for it". It may take time, but deep down, I think every person at some time gets sick of a group telling others what they can and can't do. I sight the American Revolution or the Scotish revolution as examples.

Premium Features