• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedometer/Odometer Reading Double

Jerry2star

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 25, 2021
You ever find the fix for this mine is currently doing this
Mine was doing this last month, didn't notice it until I finished the headlight delete, air temp relocate and added an LED bar.

Not sure if any of those caused it, as I hadn't started it in over a year due to the recoil starter blowing up on me.

I then installed a load resistor into the other headlight socket (high beam) and that fixed the resetting issue at higher rpms, if I switch to low beams (no load) it resets everytime I exceed 2000 rpm which leads me to believe its my voltage regulator needs replaced.

This is just a bandaid fix in my case but you could have an entirely different gremlin.

Have you checked your voltage output when idling vs higher RPM?

B
Jan 30, 2023
Canada
Mine was doing this last month, didn't notice it until I finished the headlight delete, air temp relocate and added an LED bar.

Not sure if any of those caused it, as I hadn't started it in over a year due to the recoil starter blowing up on me.

I then installed a load resistor into the other headlight socket (high beam) and that fixed the resetting issue at higher rpms, if I switch to low beams (no load) it resets everytime I exceed 2000 rpm which leads me to believe its my voltage regulator needs replaced.

This is just a bandaid fix in my case but you could have an entirely different gremlin.

Have you checked your voltage output when idling vs higher RPM?
Gunna check the voltage reg this week at idle it’s showing 14.5v, odo double the miles last ride I went on too and was showing double on the mph, gunna check the voltage regulator hopefully mid week, if it’s. It that I’ll be checking all the wires for a ground. I’ll post my findings once I get into it.

Jerry2star

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 25, 2021
Gunna check the voltage reg this week at idle it’s showing 14.5v, odo double the miles last ride I went on too and was showing double on the mph, gunna check the voltage regulator hopefully mid week, if it’s. It that I’ll be checking all the wires for a ground. I’ll post my findings once I get into it.
Took the sled out saturday, still does the same thing at higher rpms and when i come to a stop it works again, brought the guage into work today, no corrosion or anything out of place but a few of the solder joints were weak so i reflowed them on a heat table (I work at a radio repair shop). We will see if it made a difference but i dont think the guage is the issue. Ill be checking output voltage as well tonight.

B
Jan 30, 2023
Canada
Took the sled out saturday, still does the same thing at higher rpms and when i come to a stop it works again, brought the guage into work today, no corrosion or anything out of place but a few of the solder joints were weak so i reflowed them on a heat table (I work at a radio repair shop). We will see if it made a difference but i dont think the guage is the issue. I’ll be checking output voltage as well tonight.
Let me know if that changes anything, haven’t had a chance to dive into the self yet as I’ve been busy at work, planning on doing it this Monday, realized I switch my Speedo from mph to mph. That explains the jump on the odo switch it back to mph and it’s back to the same readings as before. Still resetting when I hit about 4000 rpms tho. Hopefully I’ll have an answer Monday soon as I find out I’ll let you know.

Jerry2star

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 25, 2021
Let me know if that changes anything, haven’t had a chance to dive into the self yet as I’ve been busy at work, planning on doing it this Monday, realized I switch my Speedo from mph to mph. That explains the jump on the odo switch it back to mph and it’s back to the same readings as before. Still resetting when I hit about 4000 rpms tho. Hopefully I’ll have an answer Monday soon as I find out I’ll let you know.
Ok so i made a bunch of jumpers at work to go in between the harness and gauge. Tried to match them with the diagram.20240216_204711.jpgThen I hooked them up between the guage and harness, checked voltage to the guage first between pin 1&2.20240216_204731.jpgNever exceeded 14.8V when revving past reset point.

Jerry2star

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 25, 2021
Then one by I removed a pin and revved till the guage reset, started high to low on pin number and it ended up being pin #3 Battery (+) red/wht. When disconnected the guage never reset and would rev past 4.5k without issue.

Jerry2star

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 25, 2021
Went on a ride today with pin #3 removed, no issues, no resettiing guages, and my speedo appears to be working again, tracked my miles this trip where before it didnt add any to the odometer.

B
Jan 30, 2023
Canada
Went on a ride today with pin #3 removed, no issues, no resettiing guages, and my speedo appears to be working again, tracked my miles this trip where before it didnt add any to the odometer.
Gunna try that tomorrow as the electric start was removed from my sled so I don’t have a battery either. Hope it works thanks for the info man will let you know in a few days!

Premium Features