• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled won't rev past 7500rpm----> A solution

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
MY 2017 Axys 163 3".

Sled was running great, pulling 8300 rpm. Suddenly, sled only pulled 7500rpm.

Felt normal and pulled hard through the bottom (TRS clutching) and then went flat at 7500 rpm. No codes or check engine light.

My initial thought was broken E-VES cable. I rode it back to the truck running around 6500-7200 rpm.

Got home, pulled it apart and sure enough, E-VES cable was broken. I had a spare on the shelf and pulled the exhaust valves and re-installed new cable.

According to manual, I needed to perform a re-learn with Digital Wrench. The cables are a fixed length and there is no adjustment built into them. I fired it up, no codes. Took it for a rip and back to pulling 8300rpm. Next time I head down to the dealer, I will perform an exhaust valve re-learn just for good measure-- and to make sure they are fully opening.

IMG_1921.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
MY 2017 Axys 163 3".

Sled was running great, pulling 8300 rpm. Suddenly, sled only pulled 7500rpm.

Felt normal and pulled hard through the bottom (TRS clutching) and then went flat at 7500 rpm. No codes or check engine light.

My initial thought was broken E-VES cable. I rode it back to the truck running around 6500-7200 rpm.

Got home, pulled it apart and sure enough, E-VES cable was broken. I had a spare on the shelf and pulled the exhaust valves and re-installed new cable.

According to manual, I needed to perform a re-learn with Digital Wrench. The cables are a fixed length and there is no adjustment built into them. I fired it up, no codes. Took it for a rip and back to pulling 8300rpm. Next time I head down to the dealer, I will perform an exhaust valve re-learn just for good measure-- and to make sure they are fully opening.

How many miles on the sled?

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
How often are you cleaning the valves?

Typically, 600-1000 miles. Rotating between 3 Axys sleds, top ends, pre-season prep, and sometimes just because I am in there anyway. It doesn't take long to clean the valves and if you don't remove the cable from the tie bar there is no reason to do a re-learn. I periodically do exhaust valve re-learn on my sleds in case the cable has stretched so that I am sure I am getting a fully open exhaust port.

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I had the same symptoms- all of a sudden dropped to 6800-7400 RPM, no check engine light. VES cable was good, but the nut that threads on to the cable end to hold it in place on the VES assembly had worked it's way off and left. Took me the better part of a day to figure it out.

Premium Features