• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Fox QS3 Shocks Delivered - Covered in Oil

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
Like the title says. Just purchased a full set of Fox QS3 Evol shocks for next year because they were on sale. These are brand new. When I opened the box I noticed the right front shock had an excessive amount of green oil covering it in the sealed bag. I'm assuming this is either excess shock oil or assembly oil. Either way it seemed like more than it should be. I wiped them down and left them on paper towels to see if they continue to leak. Is this normal for these air shocks to be delivered this way or should I be concerned? I do not recall my mountain bike fox float shocks being covered in oil.

Attachments

• 20240507_174505.jpg
    20240507_174505.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240507_174823.jpg
    20240507_174823.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240507_182002.jpg
    20240507_182002.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 24

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
That seems excessive to me as well. I have had a few sets of these over the years and never had one with that much oil. They are brandnew I know a return is a hassle it might be good to have fox have a look at it and replace seals if need be. They are brandnew so it should be free to have Fox Shock Service center go through that one and make sure it is right before you mount it up for next season.

Just my 2 cents..............I have had them leak before in use and that oil looks like the oil used winthin the shock. New out of the box I have had some shocks with light assembly lube that is yellow almost like a grease around the seal area but I have never had that much blue oil in the bag with them.

I am sorry it's a bummer to get brandnew shocks and have one that puked the oil............the upside is that it is fixable and should be done for free. It's just the hassle of sending it off and paying shipping when it's not your fault.

Dave

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
That seems excessive to me as well. I have had a few sets of these over the years and never had one with that much oil. They are brandnew I know a return is a hassle it might be good to have fox have a look at it and replace seals if need be. They are brandnew so it should be free to have Fox Shock Service center go through that one and make sure it is right before you mount it up for next season.

Just my 2 cents..............I have had them leak before in use and that oil looks like the oil used winthin the shock. New out of the box I have had some shocks with light assembly lube that is yellow almost like a grease around the seal area but I have never had that much blue oil in the bag with them.

I am sorry it's a bummer to get brandnew shocks and have one that puked the oil............the upside is that it is fixable and should be done for free. It's just the hassle of sending it off and paying shipping when it's not your fault.

Dave
Thanks for the reply. It was an alarming amount of oil in the package but so far after cleaning everything off its dry. Not enough oil I'd be concerned with performance unless they blowout or something. I'm wondering if pressure changes from sitting on the shelf for a long time had anything to do with it. If it doesn't leak on the bench now I wonder if it's just a fluke. Do you think there is a way to test them other then sending them back to the factory?

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
I am not certain of a way to test without mounting it up using it and seeing how it performs. Maybe an easy check would be to send those pictures along to a Fox Service Center via email and ask the experts the question??? Might be good for piece of mind.

I do think about pressure changes sitting on the shelf but also in transit. If they were flown as air freight in non-pressurized cargo hold then that would be a dramatic pressure difference. Maybe others will chime in with a better way to check / evaluate them. But a few minutes and and email to Fox to foward along your pictures could go a long ways to making you feel better if they say they are fine. I have never had one apart so hard to know how much oil is actually in them.

Dave

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
I am not certain of a way to test without mounting it up using it and seeing how it performs. Maybe an easy check would be to send those pictures along to a Fox Service Center via email and ask the experts the question??? Might be good for piece of mind.

I do think about pressure changes sitting on the shelf but also in transit. If they were flown as air freight in non-pressurized cargo hold then that would be a dramatic pressure difference. Maybe others will chime in with a better way to check / evaluate them. But a few minutes and and email to Fox to foward along your pictures could go a long ways to making you feel better if they say they are fine. I have never had one apart so hard to know how much oil is actually in them.

Dave
Fox service department already reached put to me after I emailed the seller. Thanks!

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
Nice! I hope they help resolve the issue or at the least put you at ease! Let us know what they say or find when if you have the chance.

D
Like the title says. Just purchased a full set of Fox QS3 Evol shocks for next year because they were on sale. These are brand new. When I opened the box I noticed the right front shock had an excessive amount of green oil covering it in the sealed bag. I'm assuming this is either excess shock oil or assembly oil. Either way it seemed like more than it should be. I wiped them down and left them on paper towels to see if they continue to leak. Is this normal for these air shocks to be delivered this way or should I be concerned? I do not recall my mountain bike fox float shocks being covered in oil.
I bought mine from Tom’s snowmobile last year and they were the same way. Just wipe them off and you will be good. Mine never leaked after cleaning them off. You’re gonna love those things. Good luck to ya!💪🤘👍

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
That blue/green is the "Float Fluid" that they put in around the main air seal. If they put too much on the outside of the air seal it can burp out of the blue wiper seal when the shock fully extends. I'm guessing that is what happened, and after it cycles a few times shouldn't do it any more. That being said glad they are going to check them out for you.

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
That blue/green is the "Float Fluid" that they put in around the main air seal. If they put too much on the outside of the air seal it can burp out of the blue wiper seal when the shock fully extends. I'm guessing that is what happened, and after it cycles a few times shouldn't do it any more. That being said glad they are going to check them out for you.
Hope it's that simple. This was a lot of fluid though. Like a ton. What color is the shock oil then if in fact this is float fluid?

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
Update for those following or for future reference. FOX isn't screwing around. The rep reached out to me immediately after I reported this to BBA. They are sending a whole new set of shocks and no cost return call. Impressive customer service!!!

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
Update for those following or for future reference. FOX isn't screwing around. The rep reached out to me immediately after I reported this to BBA. They are sending a whole new set of shocks and no cost return call. Impressive customer service!!!
That is awesome!! Nice to see them take care of ya like that!!

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
I bought some and installed about 1 month ago. Same issue. Oil on one of the shocks. I still installed and they have been working very well. I am happy with the shocks. The only thing I did Not like is it said a 20 pound weight savings. maybe 10 pounds at the most. But the shocks work great. Very fast and easy to change the settings and it makes a noticeable difference in the handling.

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
I bought some and installed about 1 month ago. Same issue. Oil on one of the shocks. I still installed and they have been working very well. I am happy with the shocks. The only thing I did Not like is it said a 20 pound weight savings. maybe 10 pounds at the most. But the shocks work great. Very fast and easy to change the settings and it makes a noticeable difference in the handling.
Looking forward to these next season for sure!

Premium Features