• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

*****MPI Viper Turbo Oil Fix*****

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Well I just put oil in it sure as heck it drops while you check it, using a turkey bayster to suck some out, warmed it up and it's high then ran it on the track stand and it got even higher. Filled it cold above the dip line thinking filter and turbo bearings but too much buy 3/8 above the stick. Hope my neighbor does not use for Turkey day next year:) used about 2.5 quarts to begin with and it's a bit much

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Well the fix seems to be working just fine. I have had it on both sides on steep side hills and carving around. I did have an issue getting the oil pump to prime after I was stuck at an odd angle for an extended period of time. The only time I lost any oil was when I went for a tumble into some trees and it was upside down for a couple of minutes.

Last edited:

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
The oil I lost was from the breather, and even when I had it upside down in a tree well a few days after my earlier post I didn't lose all that much oil. I'm not complaining, if my sled is losing oil then I've probably screwed up and ran out of talent.

That being said I do have a leak on the new brass fitting supplied in the fit kit. I used liquid pipe sealant per the directions but I think I needed to go in one more turn on the brass fitting or the sealant broke down. It should be a simple fix before next year, no biggie.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Put the MPI clutch kit in and SOB does it work, dropped RPM and hooked up for the very last ride for a total off 5 freaking rides this crappy year, summer needs to go away and let's try this again!!:face-icon-small-win

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
My clutching is close but hits the Rev limiter more than I like. If the snow is deep I'm good but spring conditions I could run a little more weight or try a different helix.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
That's what I was thinking.
Tar

no i'm serious, some guys have done it already. the sound is very obvious on the 1050 when oil pressure is low and when i'm climbing i would rather run low oil pressure for a couple of seconds than shut down and tumble into the rocks. unless a better solution comes up I will disable the sensor and run a low pressure warning light or tuck a small gauge away.

i'm not impressed with other "fixes" hence I gave my snowcheck turbo back to my dealer and another customer wanted it. even running my sled in tock form i've spent over 100 bucks in oil cause of the angles i pitch my sled at while boondocking.

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
What helix are you running? What weights? What elevation?
13.3 steel in the heel
13.3 aluminum in the tip
42/46 helix
Ride 6k plus in California and in McCall. Peak about 9k feet in a few spots.
I swapped springs as well but don't recall off the top of my head what colors they are.

Also if I remember right I couldn't get as much twist as I wanted on the secondary so I may need to tighten that up as well.

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
On hard pack I was hitting the Rev limiter pretty often so I want to bring it down just a touch.

I was kind of surprised that I topped out at 72 mph too. It was quick getting there but then it was like someone threw out an anchor.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
On hard pack I was hitting the Rev limiter pretty often so I want to bring it down just a touch.

I was kind of surprised that I topped out at 72 mph too. It was quick getting there but then it was like someone threw out an anchor.

are you still running the 8bu's?

Support@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2015
www.mountainperformance.com
13.3 steel in the heel
13.3 aluminum in the tip
42/46 helix
Ride 6k plus in California and in McCall. Peak about 9k feet in a few spots.
I swapped springs as well but don't recall off the top of my head what colors they are.

Also if I remember right I couldn't get as much twist as I wanted on the secondary so I may need to tighten that up as well.

Yeah those twists can be a pain sometimes. Your weights are perfect. If getting the right twist doesn't get you where it should be you should try a 47 helix. These things are geared like tractors.

Premium Features