• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mototrax for my 06' KTM 300 xc-w or New bike +Timbersled

M
Jan 14, 2004
Been down the cr500 at altitude... Fun and exciting bike but the gears are just to short... In my experience it is easier to climb higher an go faster on a modern mx... What you explain a turbo will be up your alley with the ability to pull every gear...that being g Sai you can still have plenty of fun with out a turbo... Jethro450 on YouTube does some great comparisons...on YouTube...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I understand your gearing comment. The tight nature of the CR500 tranny ratios are exactly what make it work. I just kept gearing mine up in the kit until I found the happy spot in fact I think I could even go a bit taller. My motor is basically stock and I can lug it around just as well as I could my KTM 520 BB, a stock CR500 has plenty enough bottom end torque. There are never any gaps like a wide ratio bike which is basically impossible to get right via the kit. The downside to any MX tranny is that the longer first gear forces you to clutch the bike a bit more so you can't be as lazy as on a wide ratio bike but that's no big deal.

M5

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Can rent both sleds and bikes in Summit County. Might not be a bad idea to spend a day on both and see what you think.

C
Nov 24, 2014
Can rent both sleds and bikes in Summit County. Might not be a bad idea to spend a day on both and see what you think.

Wow, you're right. I didn't think for a minute that anyone was renting snowbikes.

Looks like RMAR rents out 2016 KTM 500 XCW and the 2017 KTM 450 SXF, with timebersled tracks. They also rent out the RMK 800 pros. $350 a day, but money well spent.

Being able to demo both a 450 and 500 and RMK 800 would be ideal.

Thanks for the heads up!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I'm not sure I understand your gearing comment. The tight nature of the CR500 tranny ratios are exactly what make it work. I just kept gearing mine up in the kit until I found the happy spot in fact I think I could even go a bit taller. My motor is basically stock and I can lug it around just as well as I could my KTM 520 BB, a stock CR500 has plenty enough bottom end torque. There are never any gaps like a wide ratio bike which is basically impossible to get right via the kit. The downside to any MX tranny is that the longer first gear forces you to clutch the bike a bit more so you can't be as lazy as on a wide ratio bike but that's no big deal.

M5
Sorry let me be more specific... I am about 250 with my gear... Start at 10,000 feet... I would not want a wide ratio trans I would want another 3000 or so rpm range... I found the mx 4 banger bikes gave you a long spread of usable power.... On my cr you had really between 4000 to 9000... And really for me 7 to 9 was the sweet spot... Yes it was a blast but you lost a 4000 rpm spread.... I road last year my cr, many KTM sxf 13,16,15 , kawi 2015 450, CRF 450, KTM 300 so I think I got a good take on the different machines.. 2 stroke more fun and reliable but mx 450 seams to be more usable.... Trust me I am a 2 stroke guy through and through it hurts me to say it. I will still have a beta 300 in the line up though...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

C
Nov 24, 2014
Bumping up this thread for an update.

I've though long and hard about this one and I've decided to get a sled.

For these reasons.

1) When out snowshoeing I saw new signs were up, and they are now closing 1/2 of my local trails from Jan 1 to May 15. These would have been perfect for snowbikes... **** the land grabbing greenies :face-icon-small-sad

2) New bike +track+ turbo = $20K

3) Wife said if I get a sled, she might too. That opens up lots of winter activities for the whole family. Camping, snowshoeing, ice fishing and skiing with the kids and wife would be great (when I'm not going real sledding).

4) Easier to find buddies to ride with.

5) I've watched too many vids of those turbo sleds pulling up the steep and deep on the track with the ski's at 11 o'clock.

6) I can still get a track for my 06' if I want to mix it up and see what snowbikes are all about.

Once again thanks a ton for all the help!

Looking at a 17' Pro RMK 800. Not sure on track size. Will hold off on the turbo till I get some experience/skills. So stoked right now!!! Pray for snow.

Premium Features