• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for specs on a custom clutch set up

B
Apr 5, 2023
Idaho
Hey guys, I have a nice low miles 1999 yamaha mountain max 700 with bender triple pipes. The rest of the sled appears to be stock. The clutch engages way too early. I am new to sleds. I have no idea what I’m doing. Just know that a clutch shouldn’t allow the track to turn until more like 5,500 rpm. Mine hits at 1800-2000. It’s a boggy dog. Anyone happen to know what springs and what not I should run for optimal performance on this machine with triple pipes riding in areas from 5,000-8,000 feet elevation?

ultimax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Washington State
Hey guys, I have a nice low miles 1999 yamaha mountain max 700 with bender triple pipes. The rest of the sled appears to be stock. The clutch engages way too early. I am new to sleds. I have no idea what I’m doing. Just know that a clutch shouldn’t allow the track to turn until more like 5,500 rpm. Mine hits at 1800-2000. It’s a boggy dog. Anyone happen to know what springs and what not I should run for optimal performance on this machine with triple pipes riding in areas from 5,000-8,000 feet elevation?
Here is what I found worked best for my MMax triple with Bender pipes. The engine RPM at full throttle should be 8500 rpm. Engagement rpm should be between 4500-5000 rpm. The "Totally Yamaha" website also has numerous specs that are posted for users. Lot's of great information on that site as well.
  • Primary weights – stock clutch arms 8cr / 38 grams
  • Inner rivet hole – 3.6g
  • Outer rivet hole – 2.4g
  • Primary clutch spring – Yellow/White/Yellow
  • Secondary clutch spring – green @ 80 degrees wrap
  • Stock secondary ramp
  • Main jets 136.3 all three carbs.
  • Pilot jets 57.5 all three carbs.
  • Stock jet needle clip #2 position
  • Pilot fuel screws / 2 turns out

B
Apr 5, 2023
Idaho
I will give it all a try. Very detailed! I’ll trust that. Thank you. Much appreciated. This thing is already fun. Going to be a real blast once it’s dialed. Might even throw vforce reeds in it

Premium Features