• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

looking for info on atv/bike riding in the hills

B
Nov 24, 2008
flatties of MN
I've always wanted to take the fam out there riding 4 wheelers and bikes, i was just looking for some info, to do's and not to do's.....I know it's a whole different world than sledding as to trails and stuff......any info would be appreciated! thanks!:):beer;:rockon:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The US Forest Service manages the use of ATV trails in the Black Hills as compaired to the State of SD who manages Snowmobile trails in the Black Hills. I do not get involved with the enforcement and management of ATV trails like I do for snowmobile trails but I will give you what I do know. Maps are available through Forest Service offices throughout the hills. One map covers the South half and the other covers the North half. Absolutely do not use snowmobile trail maps for ATV use. Most of the ATV trails follow open Forest Service roads and logging trails. The Forest Service requires a $25 permit for each ATV and most of the major gravel roads require the ATV's to be licensed for the street with licensed drivers operating the ATV. If you venture into Wyoming you will need a Wyoming state atv permit. I do not know what that would cost. There are Forest Service offices in Rapid City, Hill City, Hot Springs, Spearfish and Custer.

Premium Features