• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for an entry level civil engineer position

cat rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairmont, MN
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to help my girlfriend find a job. I took a water resources engineer position in southern MN and my girlfriend moved with me. She just graduated from school in May from South Dakota School of Mines and Technology with a BS in Civil Engineering. We have been looking for jobs since mid may. We have been looking from Sioux Falls , SD to Rochester, MN and from Mason City, IA north to the Twin Cities. She has applied for near 100 jobs and was interviewed only about 4-5 times. Always giving her the we decided not to hire or there were many very qualified applicants excuse. If anyone on here has any leads to possible job openings anywhere in southern mn, the twin cities, northern ia, or sioux falls area I would greatly appreciate it. I'm currently working in Fairmont, MN and would like her job to be 2 hours or less away so we can split the drive in half, living between locations. THANKS!!!!!!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
That's rough. All I can say is keep trying! I'll talk to a friend of mine. I go to school with his son and he owns a civil engineering company in Sioux Falls.

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
An engineering degree opens up A LOT of doors, maybe there is something she can find less dirrectly related to civil engineering that can keep her busy for a few years while she keeps her eyes open for a civil engineering position if she still wants to get into that field. I have a mechanical eng BS and never really "used" (never was a designer) my degree. I got into manufacturing with a manufacturing engineer position right out of college and love what i do and have advanced multiple times with multiple opportunities to advance even more. Here in Sioux Falls we can't find enough good engineers! The last quality engineer we hired was the best of the litter we interviewed and the dips**t cant even use Microsoft Outlook.

Premium Features