• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

its your gas tax money dont loose it

please read and respond.

Snowmobile Trail Funding
Riding snowmobiles has been a passion for many of us for many years, both on trails and in the back country. Much of the success of snowmobiling and snowmobile sales comes from the trail program. The snowmobile manufacturers say, “No Sales Without Trails”.
The trouble is that trails are expensive with the cost of groomers and everything else associated with trails. Many riders are probably not aware of where the money comes from. In Montana and other states the snowmobile program receives money returned to them from the over payment of gas taxes. Snowmobile users pay on road gas tax, but ride off road. Many years ago Montana started returning a portion of these funds to the grooming program administered by the Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks. This money has to be re-appropriated every two years and is always in danger of being discontinued, as well as being inadequate, especially for the more heavily used riding areas.
Each club must be accountable to Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks in the work they do and also account for everything financial.
For the clubs that these state funds are not adequate, they can apply for federal government gas tax funds. About one half of the money collected goes to non-motorized use with the rest to motorized users. This is good and bad for snowmobilers. The money is needed for snowmobiling, but without sharing the funds, we would lose the political clout of all the other non-motorized users.
The federal program is called the Recreational Trails Program and the program is in trouble with possible discontinuation. There is a bill in the senate from a senator from Utah at this very moment that would end the RTP program. Please contact your government officials and give you support of this program and the defeat of this bill.
Don Phillips

ATTENTION: RTP is in serious danger of being eliminated.

As you may recall, RTP is in the "Transportation Alternatives Program" portion of the Highway Funding Legislation.

Yesterday, Senator Mike Lee (R-Utah) filed an amendment (S.A. 2280) to the Senate transportation bill, the DRIVE Act. His amendment would ELIMINATE the Transportation Alternatives Program -- and RTP.

The Senate began consideration last night on the highway bill. At this point, it appears Sunday will be the earliest there will be any Amendments considered.

I have been waiting for clarity on the direction this legislation may be headed. Rather than wait, it is time for you -- and your clubs and members -- to contact Senator Lee's office.

Senator Lee: 202-224-5444

Let them know that you are very concerned with the impact his Amendment will have. It will eliminate RTP -- a program that every snowmobiler and OHV user pays into every time you fill your sled/ohv. It will have serious consequences to snowmobiling and other OHV programs, not only in Utah but across the country.

The Senate seems to be on track to pass a multiple year Highway Funding Bill. Once they pass the legislation, it will be sent to the House.

Both the Senate and House are on a fast track -- they are trying to get out of town for their August recess.
This is also a good time to call your 2 Senators with the same message. If you need their phone numbers, please contact me.
I am confident that we can get the attention of Senator Lee with your help....but it is going to take action from the grassroots. Make your phone calls!!
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact me. Thanks for your efforts!
~Christine
PS - You may get voice mail when you call Senator Lee's office. I did. Simply leave your message along with your contact info.

Premium Features