• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idle Issue due to elevation

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
Hi, I have a 2020 KTM 450 sx-f with a 2022 Riot 3S Pro that has developed an idle issue which I believe is due to elevation. To start I run a C3 Vortex ECU which required reflash due to hard starting issue with the C3 maps however I also had an issue with idle that hasn't go away. What was happening is once I got the bike to start in map 3 and idle set at approximately 2,400 RPM as I climbed up the hill to ride the idle would drop so I would adjust and when I got to the top of the hill the idle would require adjusting continuously because it was unstable. When I rode down at the end of the day the idle would go up and if I didn't adjust it on the way down it would be approximately 800 RPM higher or 3,200 RPM back at the truck. I started running on map 1 as it never had start up or idle issues.
I sent my ECU back to C3 for a reflash, got it back installed it, and it started and idle was good, recalibrated the TPS and on Tuesday we go to one of local ride areas and unload at approximately 2000 ft., start the bike, I'm in map 3, let it warm up to 150 F, idle is at 2,380 RPM (yes I have a tach) and we start out. About 3 miles up I stop, maybe 4,000 ft., idle is down to 1,760 RPM, temp is 162 F, switch to map 1, idle comes back up to 2,260 RPM. finished the ride in map 1.
Got home and went through every wire connector, opened up, cleaned, electrolytic grease and plugged back together. Checked for any faults, none found. checked all wires etc.
bottom line it seems the C3 maps on the Vortex ECU, in my case, drop idle speed as I go up in elevation. Is there a sensor or something that is creating this issue that anyone knows of? I've asked C3 these questions but have received no response back.
thanks in advance. Cheers

G

gorillam

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 28, 2017
Diagnostic process as above, make sure your bike is running right first. stock ecu see if it drops if it does your map sensor is buggered.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
Diagnostic process as above, make sure your bike is running right first. stock ecu see if it drops if it does your map sensor is buggered.
thought I'd up-date this thread, Tested the stock ECU and it worked fine with no issues. Tested Barometric sensor and it was good, installed a new one just in case it was intermittent and while I was at it I cleaned throttle body to ensure passage was clear. Tested C3 ECU on Map 3 and again lost RPM with elevation. Thing to note is that the RPM comes back when I switch the ECU to Map 1 which is a Vortex Map.
Can anyone recommend a knowledgable tuner that can reprogram my Vortex ECU? Thanks

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Try proven Moto. They used to be in Heber Utah, but have recently moved to St. George Utah. They might have a map that you could just send in your Vortx.

Premium Features