• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cutler 950

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Picked up a used 950 topend and going to get nicasil redone and new pistons. Any one know if the 950 BDX pistons will work with Cutlers cylinders? Cutler has not responded to emails and get put on forever hold when I call them. BDX seems to still want to do business. Anyone have any real world experience with this kit? Any tips for tuning and pipe recommendation would be great. I am not a noob to bigbores and will figure it out but open to others input and suggestions as well. Thanks in advance.

Lunna

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2022
Umeå
Ask BDX what size their pistons are and tell the company thats putting nicasil in the cylinders to hone the cylinders to your predetermined size = Piston diameter + piston to bore clearence.
Then you know the pistons will work with the cylinders.
Thats how I did with my custom 900BB

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I don't think it's totally size dependent. Something is telling me a forged piston like a Wiseco that expands more needs more clearance than a cast piston. The company providing the piston should be able to tell you the bore specs needed. Get the ring gap specs as well.

J
Jul 21, 2022
USA
Picked up a used 950 topend and going to get nicasil redone and new pistons. Any one know if the 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 950 BDX pistons will work with Cutlers cylinders? Cutler has not responded to emails and get put on forever hold when I call them. BDX seems to still want to do business. Anyone have any real world experience with this kit? Any tips for tuning and pipe recommendation would be great. I am not a noob to bigbores and will figure it out but open to others input and suggestions as well. Thanks in advance.
Can you share some photos ?

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Finally got hold of Dale Cutler and found out only about 10 of these kits were ever produced and no replacement pistons available. Anyone know of anyone that got one of the other 8-9 or so kits? I have one and Dale has one. The engine was designed to be turbocharged which is what I was wanting to do with this one. The only other way I can go with this is to buy the BDX pistons and put a cylinder spacer under these. Dale runs his turbo 950 at 5-6 lbs on pump gas and that was my plan as well.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
At least you know the port height and setup will be correct for what you are looking to accomplish! I'm no turbo expert, but I remember reading years ago that a set of "turbo ported" cylinders do not work right on a N/A motor, but obviously N/A cylinders still work with boost.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Did you try taking to Dave Forsyth at Powder lites? I was in his shop a few years ago and there was a cutler 950 in there they were working on. Can’t remember if they were going to turbo it or what it was they were up to that day.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
If you're willing to spend the money, there should be options for custom pistons. I can't speak to snowmobiles, but in researching piston options for my Porsche 924 turbo, it seems the best new replacement option is custom made pistons - seems like JE and Diamond are the go-to's there - they've been out of production for decades, so very pricey if you find a NOS set. If you could get ahold of Dale Cutler again, maybe he still has and would be willing to share the specifications. My wild guess is you're talking in the range of $500 per piston.

Premium Features