• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Concept High Performance Front A-Arm Suspension by Skinz

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
From an engineering standpoint, it always makes me chuckle when these claims are made...

However, there's no substitution for the real world application, and the R&D that accompanies it.

I'm sure this design was thought out/tested pre-production to the AXYS release, but for whatever reason was not chosen as the platform for the masses.

I'm also sure that Burandt could probably ride an old IQ Dragon and lose 99% of riders in the back country...it looks like a great product, they're fabrication on most things seems top notch, but what improvement a select few riders saw regarding the change are probably not going to be realized by everybody.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I have the concept front end on my '16 Axys, with the Fox QS3's. I haven't found any situation where I've felt the combo to be worse than stock. The only situation where I experienced a real performance advantage was in Spring conditions while sidehilling downhill. My buddy had his stock spindle and arms with the same QS3's, Mohawk ski's and 163 track. I rode both sleds down the ravine and the front of his sled would wash out going down. I felt the added length in front gave my sled more stability while sidehilling down the steep hill.

When I bought mine I assumed there could be performance benefits but I was after a more rugged front end. I saw too many folded stock arms and broken tips on stock spindles and I wanted a setup that would take a harder hit. I bought mine based on the build quality and the fact that the concept front end was tested on the RMSHA circuit.
Strength was my #1 priority when looking for a new front end.

FWIW, my Utah buddy has a Zbros front end on his Axys and he loves it. Zbros makes some great product too. I've used Zbros arms and shocks on many sleds with zero complaints.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Well I got a chance to connect with Skinz and ask some questions around the Concept front suspension for the Axys. They work really hard and spend a lot of time measuring, designing, testing, obtaining feedback from the pro riders, dealers and themselves, then retesting before releasing a front suspension. They not only look at the front suspension but the relationship to rear suspension and weight distribution. Everyone knows the Axys rocks in stock form but Skinz also feels the perfect machine still does not exist. So that is what drives them. Their goal was to build a front end that allowed a more fluid and predictable riding style.

So I am told the outcome was excellent. “A plus forward front end allows the rider to do more, ride more, be less fatigued and perform at a higher lever on the machine. Better steep terrain control, improved turning capability, it removes the erratic behavior, holds a side hill better and on steeper terrain. We change almost everything. Caster angle, spindle location, A-Arm upper & lower spindle mount points. Our front ends have an adjustable steering mount to completely remove bump steer and dial it in. We have adjustments to make camber angle adjustments. Our front ends are the right strength for the machines”.

I know they sold a ton of there kits for the Nytro because of the way it transformed the sled. Now you see a lot of pros running this kit on their Axys. I see comments that its because they are given to them well that is not all true. They work together to make this front end as good as it is and if there wasn’t advantages in the behavior of the sled they would just go to the next aftermarket front end.

The materials used are 4130 CA and have fully boxed structure aluminum upper a-arm making them strong and lightweight. They also provide their own Fox shocks which the worked with fox to develop their own unique tune and set-up for and is branded with Skinz and Fox on the shock.

So these guys are making these products here in the US in their fully equipped shop. They have many capabilities and can process almost anything. This is not just a light weight A-arm set that are already available through other aftermarket companies. This is a total rethink and very well tested product designed to make a better handling sled.

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
Running with boost...if I **** canned their ARC from my skid...I probably wouldn't even need a front end, or skis.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Only looked on my phone but the drop down menu for choosing your model doesn't have the extreme setup for 16-17 AXYS like the pro does. Maybe it's my phone though.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Too much thinking for me but it seems to be a new fad created by the need from the trail based geometry of the Yamaha's and early PC's. Or maybe,,, it's just cause there is not too much NEEDED anymore.

I'm no pro, and am still trying to out do the old pro chassis to prove it, but here's something us old timers learned when all the sleds weren't better than all the riders.
When you get done dinking with the suspention to get it to move with your thumb the way you like, Think about moving your feet back or forth abit 'til you find the spot where the 33% of weight on the snow that moves easy feels best to you.
Once you get that spot, adjust the bars so you no longer have to think about it.

Voila, instant geometry change.

Premium Features