• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Canadian Timbersled Buyers

D
Jan 23, 2011
Hey everyone, just looking to get a little feedback on what everyone plans on doing this fall with their winter plans.

First things first I don't want this to turn into a technical Timbersled VS Yeti discussion on which one is a better kit or not END OF STORY.

We all know each unit has their pros and their cons, whether you value lightweight or more proven or the TSS system or parts are closer to you or whatever. This discussion is assuming you like both kits.

A group of friends and myself(4 total) have snowchecked 2016 TS kits with TSS because we all felt they were the best value for the money, etc etc.

Now with the dollar going the other way or price has flucuated well over $1300 from when we put deposits down. We have all seriously started wondering if its the best decision, currently a short track with TSS is running 6400 USD, we snow checked so we get free shipping, convert that and add on our 5% GST here locally and also usually a little bit at the bank on conversion lets say 2% we are up to a whopping CAD total of $8939 out the door give or take 300 dollars depending, this also could get worse by the time we all actually go pay for our units.

just to confirm for anyone who may not know a 129" Yeti with aluminum rails and the titanium hardware(only way offered this year) is $10,000 clear taxes paid out the door.

Now I definitely know we are talking a $1000 difference here. My main concern is the value in a year or 2 from now, eventually we will be buying next generation kits and we all expect to take a hit on things we use but if the dollar raises back up in the next 3 years which I assume it will at-least marginally then we are really sitting in hot water on our timber sled kits. with our YETI they are only losing the usual value and will continue to hold that value no matter the dollar.

Just looking for peoples opinions on what they plan on doing? any other Canadian buyers on here? even USA guys what would you do?

Thanks
duggyb

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I called around here locally and a LT kit is 7500CDN plus fit kit and GST. With the strut shock kit u add 1400 plus GST for a whopping total of $9345 LOL. Thats pure nuts ! For Canadians the Yeti makes a lot of sense at the current 1.34 for a US dollar. At least for the extra grand u get some real innovation etc. 10 grand for a kit plus a newer KTM 450 will set you back 20 large. A far cry from what it started out as isn't it. The used kits sure seem attractive now i bet for some especially with so many guys losing their jobs here in Alberta. I bet there will be a lot of metal for sale this year.

Last edited:
P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
The Yeti looks real purdy in my garage.

No brainer for me. parts right down the road. they are super guys to deal with, no dealing with customs. a great attention to detail. the billet guard for the brake line is a work of art all by itself.

rode it once at the end of the season. it was slush so couldn't get a real comparison. it 'seemed' to go thru the gears quicker. the ski held much better. didnt lose the front end once and i was going way faster than i should have been.

for me, the exchange rate puts the icing on the cake

There will be some tinkering for sure. updates ect. but i call that progress.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The exchange rate is working seriously in Yeti's favor this year. That definitely changed the way the international competition/growth for both TS and Yeti is going to work out! Id say it gave a definite leg up to the boys up north for their first year into the market.

S
Oct 5, 2008
Okanagan
I sold my 2014 TS LT with the C3 upgraded 2.5 inch 129 track and mountain addiction gas can for 4000 at the end of last year,
Gives you an idea of what they go for used, it might have been a little cheap but if you look around on kijiji this fall I'm sure you'll find a similar deal.
I had is strapped to a new ktm 500 xcw and this sport really comes down to power to weight, being that you can only get so much power out of these bikes it comes down to a weight game.
I had fun on it but its more of an adventure type sport instead of adrenaline,
Even on my 500 the power lacked a bit, it was really heavy. I have pictures of my bike on a scale with the TS on it and it weights 328lbs, also have pictures of the exact same kit on a new 300 and it 290 lbs.
The E start was taken out of the 300 for the weigh in
I will get back into the sport, but will not get back into it until I can something that weighs around the 250-270 mark with at least 70 hp.
One of my riding partners is building a cr 500 right now with a completely done up motor and is hoping to strap a yeti to it, I can't wait to see the thing work, I think thats whats its going to take to my mojo going again for the sport
Just for a little more info the 300 would smoke my 500 in the deep powder, I couldn't follow his lines, you would have to shift the 300 allot more and the thing was screaming at the top of its lungs most of the time in the deep but man did it work.
There was a KTM 500, 300, and 2 Husaberg 650 in our group, the 300 owner is going to CR 500 and a yeti, I sold all my stuff as I need something thats way lighter with better performance so Im waiting for the right package to come around and the 2 husaberg 650 guys will ride them again this year,
For a extra 1000 dollars the yeti is a absolute no brainer, even for a extra 3000 its a no brainer, there so light its unreal, and that is what this sport comes down to to be fun, and the innovation on them is really nice, there great guys to deal with as well, I bought 2 of there upgraded tracks last year to put on our TS and they were really good to deal with,
Plus sounds like your from Alberta, so why not support a new local company

Just my opinion after riding all last year,

Yetiman

Lifetime Membership
Aug 23, 2015
Yeti availability

To be completely honest it's going to be a challenge to get your hands on a Yeti this year as the response for this years production has been over the top according to the manufacturer. Anyone who hopes to get one for this winter needs to tie one up soon.

Premium Features