• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

At my wits end need help

bakininthesun

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Roy / StarValley Wyoming
I have a 2007 m8 That backfires all the time at high rpm. I have changed the stater and pick up coils,I have went over every inch of wiring, I have changed out the throttle bodies,tps and injectors. I have also disconnected the tss and the oil sensor thinking that the ecu went in to limp mode, there are no codes flashing on the dash. The sled runs great at low to med rpm but when you go to full throttle it starts to back fire until you let off the throttle and return to half throttle which led me to believe it was in limp mode. I live at 5000 feet and ride at 7 to 10,000 feet and it does the same thing no matter where I am at. I don't know if I could have a fuel pressure problem and haven't checked that yet but it seemed more electrical, There is plenty of fuel returning to the tank when running. I am running 88 non ethanol and amsoil. Plugs do not look lean at this point. I have disconnected the wiring to the hood and get the same thing. Now I am lost. Thanks for the help in advance.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Once I was riding in CO after 2 days of over the hood powder, sled never thawed out, on the 3rd day I tried to climb a power line and it would back fire at wot, eventually it went away, water in spark plug wires, it could be that just cutting and re-screwing the caps might solve issue, the other could be a voltage regulator that has in the past cause spark issues.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Water in the pluggs to the ecu will also do this When it starts missing does it do it steady or does it come out of it

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Did you check the tail light wiring?? I'm pretty sure on this year sleds, the wiring harness chaffed on the tunnel back there causing things to go hay wire. One thing to check out if you haven't already.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Defiantly check the power valves out. They are suppose to open around that 6900 rpm range. Only other thing I can think of would be a loose part in the exhaust that blocks the amount of flow needed at high rpm.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Crack in pipe or y pipe.

May not be able to see it without really inspecting it. Sucking in cold are and disrupting flow enough to drop rpm.

I would start there. If you are 100% sure its not a crack, silicone the exhaust donuts and make sure all springs are tights and absolutely no leaks anywhere.

Make sure the can isn't falling apart as well.

Premium Features