• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

700 SxViper , anyone that had the same problem?

Y
Feb 15, 2010
Hello,

i been riding my 2003 Yamaha SX Viper 700 for 8 times this season,it got the Bender tripple pipes and the engine has been completely rebuilt at the beginning of the year.

When i am sledding on powder or thick snow sometime the sled does not want to go above 6000-7000 rpm like if the clutch was not gearing down but when i am on groomed trail the sled goes 9000 rpm no problem with a lot of juice !

This is a problem because with the bowls that we got over here i need at least 8000 rpm minimum to be sure to be able to came back up.

Friend of mine think that the clutch might be the problem but i also heard that it might be the 'power valve' ? It might be anything which is why i am here. If i do bring it to the shop to get it fixed i like to be more clear on what exactly is the problem to save some precious ...$$

Any help would be greatly appreciated

John

Squamish, BC

Last edited:
A
Oct 9, 2008
denver,co
that tripple take a lot of air
and that hood cuts out the air,
try propping the hood open and go riding in the deep to see if it helps
then get vents
if you are talking power valve as in the exhaust valves- since they move to full open on the trail then my guess is they are moving full open in the pow.
good luck

Y
Feb 15, 2010
Bender Clutch Chart

thank you for the reply. I am no sled geek but after reading few thread in this forum, i am thinking that it probably link with the clutch weight adjustment .
Anyone got bender tripple pipes with a 03 sxviper (clutch weight chart) made for powder aggressive riding?

whatryan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
lemars iowa
post this on totallyamaha u will get your help u need good info on this site. i have a viper to put vents and seal around the can hole

S

Scott1

Oct 7, 2009
Black Hills S.D.
I had a similar problem on my mountain max, When I hit powder it would hit the pipes and steam, the steam would cause the engine to bog. But I had pod filters on it. I covered the front vents with pet proof screen material and cured the problem.

D
Oct 12, 2009
Hey i have the same damn problem with my 04 viper but i cant get it to go above 5000. wont even pull it self along smokes like crazy and acts like it is flooden out. have tried about everything and it has the dash filters. just dont seem like it get enough air still .

M
Jan 23, 2009
Columbia Falls, MT
On TY thread it came down to two things. You must have the deflector in place for the exhaust to push snow away from the outlet and the second was blocking all incoming air to the motor off from under the hood and taking only cooled out side air in through additional modifications (snow enters engine area through screens, etc., hits hot triple pipes, turns to steam and is taken in causing engine to run poor).

M
Nov 27, 2021
Ontario
Sounds like throttle safety switch I had the same problem on my 2003 Yamaha viper I found the connector under the hood and u can bypass it by connecting the wires together to create the circuit it puts the sled into limp mode at about 6000 rpm

Premium Features