• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

6000 Mile Catalyst

R
Feb 26, 2008
I guess Im failing to understand why youre arguing. I was trying to point out multiple short tracks sleds were houred out before the demo rides were over.
The assembly line sleds were built over 90 days ago. Averaging 50 miles a day with dozens of riders and its your job to wear them out is not at all far fetched to me.

Z
Jan 26, 2011
I'm not failing to grasp anything...I'm aware that multiple people are riding them during demos. You just changed your statement and doubled the time to accumulate those miles to a more plausible number. I'm also aware that trail sleds are going to be ridden at high speeds comfortably. However, there are still corners and occasional stops. That brings the overall average speed down quick.

And we are not talking about a trail sled here. 6000 mountain miles if they are making their 200mile/day quota for durability testing at 5 days a week with no major breakdowns works out to 6 weeks. That is plausible for an assembly line sled produced in late February I suppose.
They were running the upcoming big bore motored sleds on Lake of the Woods 24 hours a day, two 12 hour shifts less than a month ago.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
sounds like they are doing some pretty good testing. Should have most of the kinks worked out.

That would be a first. A brand new motor in a brand new chassis = growing pains for sure. Hopefully nothing major though like Polaris endless recall stuff.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
hopefully theyre making sure belts on that big bore still last twice as long as doo's pressure cooker setup ? bet.

C

crossrider

Nov 16, 2013
I read in Sno West that AC had this chassis in prototype form a couple of years ago and because of covid and supply problems didn't come out with it until this year. If that's the case my hope is they had at least a year or two more to develop the chassis and 600 engine. Not coming out with an 800+ engine in the first year is definitely going to hurt sales, but if they come out with a reliable 600 this year and reliable and competitive 800+ next year that would go along way with the Cat crowd. Unfortunately AC cannot miss on this chassis or engine package as they have alienated a lot of Cat faithful and dealers.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
I read in Sno West that AC had this chassis in prototype form a couple of years ago and because of covid and supply problems didn't come out with it until this year. If that's the case my hope is they had at least a year or two more to develop the chassis and 600 engine. Not coming out with an 800+ engine in the first year is definitely going to hurt sales, but if they come out with a reliable 600 this year and reliable and competitive 800+ next year that would go along way with the Cat crowd. Unfortunately AC cannot miss on this chassis or engine package as they have alienated a lot of Cat faithful and dealers.
Hurt sales? They're not able to supply enough 600's for the demand let alone 800+.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I love it when flatlanders educate the public about mountain sleds ?
The worse thing is, the flat lander sled businesses are selling $600-800 mountain clutch kits. It’s like buying winter gloves in Arizona. If possible, buy from a business in your area that rides in your area. Word.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I'm not sure how AC tests their mountain sleds but I know part of what skidoo does is they have a midday switch in riders so those sleds are on the snow being ridden hard 12hrs/day. Rider one starts at like 6am and rides to noon and then takes it back down to fuel and oil up and hand it off to the afternoon rider who goes from noon til 6pm.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I am not sure how they test now but years back they had to get to a certain mileage per day. Weather that was cruising down a groomed trail or pounding over moguls. I was told for EPA testing they need to dyno @ 400 miles and again @ 4000 miles. The 858 made more power @ 4000 miles than it did @ 400.

C
Jan 14, 2020
I am not sure how they test now but years back they had to get to a certain mileage per day. Weather that was cruising down a groomed trail or pounding over moguls. I was told for EPA testing they need to dyno @ 400 miles and again @ 4000 miles. The 858 made more power @ 4000 miles than it did @ 400.
I'm smashing X for doubt and bullshart.

24,000,000 as in 24 MILLION rotations of the crank and the pistons are fitting better than at 400 miles? They better have corrected for air temp, barometric pressure, AFR, and have some standardized way to tare the dyno.

C
Jan 14, 2020
^first time out of the poo section?
Did I harass your pu55y too much while not even mentioning a single brand name?

No 2 stroke ****box motor is going to make more power at 4000 miles than 400. Just calling out ignorant bullshart.

If they made more power with that amount of mileage then every single racer and hillclimber would be looking for the highest mile sled to swap the engine into their machine. Pure stupidity.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I'm smashing X for doubt and bullshart.

24,000,000 as in 24 MILLION rotations of the crank and the pistons are fitting better than at 400 miles? They better have corrected for air temp, barometric pressure, AFR, and have some standardized way to tare the dyno.
Just going by the guy involved in the testing. He also stated that the 858 doesn’t fully break in until somewhere between 1000 and 2000 miles. But what would he know being in charge of the mountain division. I guarantee he ain’t smart like you. No need to loose your sh$t and go off the deep end.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
I have ridden with one of the test riders back in the day. What I remember it was at 5000 miles for the second EPA test. If snow allowed he would test 4 sleds per winter and it had to be -25f or above to ride.

Premium Features