• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

23' 9R Brake Lever Excessive Travel?

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
So with all the talk about the brake recall on the 22/23's it seems mine has the opposite issue. With the stock lever, I have to move the brake lever to where with one finger grip, the lever hits my other fingers before it engages. There is at least 1" of travel it seems before the brake actually engages. This is completely opposite of my 22' boost I had, that thing you barely touched the brake and it was engaging.

I tried to bleed the brakes with no change. The only fix I have found is to swap levers to an adjustable 3D logic to get the lever far enough away from my hand to where I have enough room to squeeze the lever and not pinch my other fingers. But it still doesn't fix the issue with it being so long of a stroke. Once they're engaged, they bite good. Anyone else experiencing this or do I need to talk to my dealer and see if I have something up with my brakes?

Buchholz56

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2013
Dayton, MN
My 23 that just showed up is nearly the same, 3/4” of lever travel before brakes engage. Visually I’d swear it looks like the piston in the master doesn’t stick out as far as my brothers two 2022 sleds but I haven’t bothered to measure yet.

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
So odd, my buddies 9R is the same, it has a ton of travel compared to my 23 850????
It Seems as if this was a change on late builds, after the brake recall?
Mine has 0 travel, and a PITA for feel….

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I was not impressed with the brake issues so just bought a used master cylinder off a 2013 Pro that was being wrecked. $75 and it fits perfectly other than having to adapt the brake switch wire as it has a different connector. No flash, no aluminum cover needed and no worries. Why does Polaris feel they need to fix what is not broken?

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
The brake throw is all over the place. Mine is so tight the brake light is on always, others like yours take forever to engage the piston. Really not impressive tolerancing/quality.

D
Nov 17, 2008
My 9R was so tight that I broke the lever trying to set the brake. When I went to replace the lever the piston came out so far that I started to loose break fluid. New lever is the same and I have found the only way to be able to set the brake is give it 5 min or more to give the fluid time to cool down and allow enough stroke to get the brake set. Can not attemp it and not get it set because the next try is even farther from getting it set. So as to you guys problem I am guessing the piston is sticking and not coming all the way out so you are not getting a full stroke of the lever and piston. Is the piston pushing your lever all the way back to the lever stop. If not my guess is you have a sticking piston

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Grind down the the parking brake lever. I did this to get the junk Skinz brake levers to work. I have since switched to the 3D logic after going through a couple Skinz levers.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Grabbed a few 23s and they have wayyy more play. But it's a bunch of throw then thr instant grab. Not progressive at all. Just like someone starting changing thr lever spec at the factory.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Ok glad to see I am not the only one. I may throw the old style brake master cylinder I have a spare of on just to eliminate the excessive throw of the brake. I don't like it at all, very hard to ride aggressive with that much throw on the brakes.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
my '23 is the same. when i swapped to the the 3d Logik lever, the piston popped out as well. the seal was never set. My '22 lever was so tight, it was nearly impossible to set the parking brake

Buchholz56

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2013
Dayton, MN
The piston on my 23 is in contact with the lever at rest and does push the brake lever back to the same stop position as both of the 22’s we’ve got. Measured the depth of the piston with the lever in and is also the same on all three. Even swapped one of the 22 levers on mine and no difference in feel or travel before engagement on either of them. I’m stumped but at least can set the parking brake with one finger vs having to use two hands like the other two ?

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
My 22 is all over the place. Sometimes the brake engages quickly and feels "normal" and tight, and then other times the lever needs to be pulled back almost all the way to the bar for the brake to engage. I thought I lost the brake at one point because the lever was flopping around for a few minutes and then it just goes back to normal.

When I put a brake reservoir protector on, I lost a tiny amount of brake fluid through spillage. Maybe that's my specific issue.

StuckDownHill

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2019
I have a 23 and put on a TKI guard and lever Before I rode it. Small amount of fluid leaked out and throw was excessive, hitting fingers and difficult to ride with. Bled the brakes and moved the lever far left so that wouldn’t hit and it felt comfortable during my first trip with it. Still too much throw, I think I need to add a small amount of fluid. The brake should be like a button, on or off with barely any throw. Was going to get the brake flash done first and see if maybe I should keep a bit of throw in case I see issues with going into limp mode. Then maybe I should keep a bit of throw. Called to book the sled in and they said the parts are back ordered. How is software back ordered?? Turns out this recall has evolved a bit and there is now a cable associated with it. Couldn’t get exact details from the person I was on the phone with, just that they don’t have the parts until middle of the month. So I will let you know next year lol.

Premium Features