• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2025 Timbersled

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Yup. I think many of us are also at the point where we are tired of paying $9000 for something with no engine or transmission. No electronics and only works slightly better if that than the kit we already own.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Wow that's a shock. I've been preaching that the riot has always been better but I thought the consensus was most people wanted an aro to climb big hills.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Wow that's a shock. I've been preaching that the riot has always been better but I thought the consensus was most people wanted an aro to climb big hills.
my understanding is with a limiter strap and/or TSS/QSL relocation bracket, the Riot kit can be either full Riot-ish or much more like an Aro. And hi to you, Eric you 650 Husaberg genius!! ).

scottbilt95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
golden, colorado
scottbiltracing.us
Yup. I think many of us are also at the point where we are tired of paying $9000 for something with no engine or transmission. No electronics and only works slightly better if that than the kit we already own.
from an inside source that had some internal knowledge at camso, snowbike track demand (and subsequent production) has been dropping significantly over the past few years. the thought why is what is quoted above. two of the original selling points of the original snowbike conversion kit was it's cost and that it was easily removable to allow use of the dirtbike all year long. regarding cost, as technology gained momentum, so did the price increases. as with any new concept that takes off, early improvements had big performance benefits but a new kit at $10K now doesn't perform twice as good as a used kit at $5K. i say this having a setup that i'm in currently just under $25K. regarding the conversion back to dirt, with all the add-ons that make the experience better, for me it's too much work and hence the purpose built machine, that's a kick in the a$$ to ride but collects dust next to the sled half of the year, is the norm. i love the sport but it is a very niche sport. i'll continue to ride regardless. to be clear, this isn't meant to bash any of the current manufacturers, their products, or their pricing; just my thoughts.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I wonder what percentage of people who post on this forum actually convert their Snowbikes back to a dirtbike. I don’t until I sell it. Everybody who asks me about snow biking who doesn’t snow bike always ask that question though. (Good job Timbersled marketing department!) Seasons in Utah overlap massively and I don’t want to ride a 450 race bike on the trails anyway.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I bought my first TS kit in 2012. Full stop it was fun as hell and I was hooked. It was also a complete POS and broke all the time. I switched it on and off my bike for 2 seasons and said enough of that and went dedicated. I've bought only brand new kits but all might bikes have been used, it's still is expensive. I don't see enough improvements in any new kit to make me sell my current kit, the cost benefit just isn't there.

Look at sled development over the last 5 years, it's been huge, and they are obscenely expensive too, but that's where the money is and that's where the development money is going to be spent. Snow biking is too niche.

Ride what you got and go have fun because a good rider on a crappy kit is going to kick your ass no matter how much money you spend.

M5

S

SnoWest007

Jan 12, 2019
my understanding is with a limiter strap and/or TSS/QSL relocation bracket, the Riot kit can be either full Riot-ish or much more like an Aro. And hi to you, Eric you 650 Husaberg genius!! ).
do you have any more information regarding the TSS/QSL relocation bracket? I've not heard of this yet.

T
I've been mountain biking for 20+ years. With no engine a good bike costs 8-10k (CAD) and a top of the line 13+k (some even higher for race machines). No engine. For a yz450f or similar it's 12k (+/-). There was a good video where two guys talk about why a mtn bike and a dirt bike cost the same. Mostly production costs and options. Dirt bike has 1 option, mtn bike - pick size, colour, components.

Anyway the point of "9k for something with no engine" just reminded me of the bike comparison. In snowbikes case it's number of units I suspect. As everyone points out it's niche. But like the snowbike kits people keep upgrading to, mtn bikers have been doing the same for years often for only small improvements (fairly common people get a new mtn bike every other year). Sure things are better now than when I started but it's a slow change.

The good thing is that as people keep upgrading it keeps the innovations going.

Revv Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2011
Revelstoke BC
www.revvup.net
I've been mountain biking for 20+ years. With no engine a good bike costs 8-10k (CAD) and a top of the line 13+k (some even higher for race machines). No engine. For a yz450f or similar it's 12k (+/-). There was a good video where two guys talk about why a mtn bike and a dirt bike cost the same. Mostly production costs and options. Dirt bike has 1 option, mtn bike - pick size, colour, components.

Anyway the point of "9k for something with no engine" just reminded me of the bike comparison. In snowbikes case it's number of units I suspect. As everyone points out it's niche. But like the snowbike kits people keep upgrading to, mtn bikers have been doing the same for years often for only small improvements (fairly common people get a new mtn bike every other year). Sure things are better now than when I started but it's a slow change.

The good thing is that as people keep upgrading it keeps the innovations going.
I believe this is the motorcycle cost vs bicycle you were referring to

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I believe this is the motorcycle cost vs bicycle you were referring to

Great video

I used to be a downhill MTB racer and had this discussion dozens of times over the years. My biggest point was the same one in the video: I can go race nationals at a pro level on my bike and you’d need to put 20k minimum into a brand new dirt bike to be competitive (SX and motocross I’m sure enduro is not at much)

Premium Features