• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 550 Classic -- first defense against burn down?

D
I was just gifted a 2006 550 Classic with 1217 miles on the odometer. It does not have the oil pump return kit or any extra heat shield or ducting installed.

The sled was a buddy's. He used it as a loaner and it was ridden mostly by inexperienced riders, so it has the usual bent rear bumper and broken front bumper from woods trails collisions, which I've received replacement parts for. Otherwise, it's in good shape. He maintained it carefully; everything has been done on schedule.

The oil tank neck is out of round making the cap hard to thread on or tighten and I've ordered an aluminum sleeve to hold it in shape. I also have the Polaris 2203889 oil pump return kit in my Partzilla shopping cart. I intend to make an aluminum heat shield to rivet in place between the resonator and cooling fan intake.

He gave another friend a 2009 Edge (also 550 fan). I noticed that it also lacks the oil pump return or any heat shield between the resonator and fan intake, but it does have an aluminum shield fitted over the entire tuned pipe. It has what looks like some threaded stand-offs on the resonator that make me think there is supposed to be a heat shield attached there.

I'm an old-school sledder... I started with an old '60s Arlberg wide-track, then a brand new 1972 Ski-Doo 335 Olympic, later purchased a new Ski-Doo Citation 4500 around 1981 and then a used Blizzard 5500. I intend to use this Polaris mostly as ice fishing transportation and maybe do a little bit of local riding.

What's the consensus on tips to keep it running?
What should I do first to prevent the infamous 550 fan burn down issue?

D
I also ordered the oil pump return kit. Does anyone have a link for installation instructions? I've read that changing out the original oil pump O-ring for the new gasket that's in the in kit changes the pump shaft end play and shimming will be required. I could use some guidance/instruction on that process...

D
I also ordered the oil pump return kit. Does anyone have a link for installation instructions? I've read that changing out the original oil pump O-ring for the new gasket that's in the in kit changes the pump shaft end play and shimming will be required. I could use some guidance/instruction on that process...

I'm also curious as to whether anyone might have a photo of the fan duct kit installed; especially of the hood where it's cut for the duct. I'd be really interested to see that...

Premium Features