• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1988 Indy 400 Caliber Replace

C
Feb 5, 2020
Hello. I Just recently bought my first snowmobile. I am experienced with working on old motorcycles and such, but have little experience except for what ive done to this 1988 indy 400 lc (jack shaft bearing and a couple maintenance odds and ends). Anyway, during some aggressive riding today I lost my brakes about a mile or two from home (not too unusual), but then started smelling something weird and realized the brake was dragging. When I was pulling into my yard POW with a puff of smoke. The brake line melted off, melted through the pull start cord, and melted a hole in the fuel filter!

One of the pads is completely done, and I dont really trust the seals in the caliper given how hot it got (Plus I broke the brake fitting off trying to remove the melted line) Now, I have ordered the parts I need - Caliper, brake line, fuel filter (metal), pull cord, and water pump belt while im in there.

I need some advice getting the chaincase off. On my model the chaincase needs to come off to remove the caliper. I have been inside and know how to remove the circlips and all that, but do I need to loosen the track or do anything to pull it off? Should I wail on it with a hammer if I have trouble? Should I remove the other end of the jackshaft?

If anyone has done brakes on these please let me know! Thank you!

Premium Features