• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cutting down rear axle?

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
i was talking to my buddy and he was telling me about how on their sno-cross mods they where cutting them down and using the stock wheels, ill get some more details and keep you guys updated.

D

dieseldog800

Nov 24, 2005
Bancroft, Nebraska
Just order a stock two wheel axle kit from smittys800 here on snowest. Awesome product and super cheap...$75 bucks I think. You could go through the hassle of cutting your stock shaft, but the way I looked at it was, I'll order smittys kit because I know that it will fit and look perfect when I install it and I still keep my stock shaft intact so when I trade my sled I can put the original back on and save my smittys axle. Give smitty a shot. His kits are top notch!!!! Whatever you do, the two wheel look fawking ROCK's!!!! Can't wait to try it out!

S
Dec 1, 2007
BC
here's what i did...

helps having a 08 M8 at my disposal. i took the 2 black inner wheels out of my M8 and put the 2 green outer wheels on the inside, cut the M8 axle about and inch and re taped the threads and thats done.

on the doo i took the 2-8" black M wheels and put them on the inside, you can use the M spacer to space the 2 wheels apart or just cut the stock doo spacer. then cut the axle somwhere around 9 inches and drill and tap the new hole (doo axles are solid) use 2 big aluminium washers on the outside. move the adjusters to the inside of the rails and use the stock doo adjusting blocks.

well its easyer to just look at the pics, took my about a half hour to do everything.

XRS 2 wheel 001.jpg XRS 2 wheel 002.jpg XRS 2 wheel 003.jpg XRS 2 wheel 004.jpg

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i did my own, it was really easy with a lathe, takes like an hour max and a little measuring, all you do is smotth the axle down so its the slightly thinner diameter so wheels can come in from both sides. then juts cut up the spacers to make the wheels sit in the right spot. for the outsides, i just cut down the the ends around an inch, because they stuck out a lot, and theres still enough thread left to just use the outside bolts, and cut the spacers, and she works great, fun to make your own stuff, its easy, and FREE, but if you descide not to, smittys stuff is top notch.

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
so i was hanging out in the garage today looking over my sled and decided to cut my axle down, i must say it was a pretty easy job, cut the axle to 8 7/8" then drill and tap one end. cut the spacer to 4 1/4" then i took some 2" aluminum flat bar and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the center for a washer on the outside of the rails, ill get some pics up in a day or so

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Many of you guys missed the question. He did not ask who had a good kit. If he did, then the Smitty reply would have been fine and he has a great kit. He is asking who has done it their self.

We did one cut axle on the Rev and it was not too hard. Hardest part was threading the axle

Last edited:
T
Dec 3, 2007
Idaho
so i was hanging out in the garage today looking over my sled and decided to cut my axle down, i must say it was a pretty easy job, cut the axle to 8 7/8" then drill and tap one end. cut the spacer to 4 1/4" then i took some 2" aluminum flat bar and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the center for a washer on the outside of the rails, ill get some pics up in a day or so

i just did mine tonight used those measurements and came out perfect 8 7/8 shaft and 4 1/4 on the spacer it is very easy looks good and was free.

Ephratafarmer

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ephrata, Wa

Thanks man, now thats what we were lookin for, thanks again---Ken

Premium Features