• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pics of Skinz Protective Gear on Dragon 800

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
First the float plate. The pics aren't the best, I do appoligize. I will take more when I have time. You can see with the Polaris A-arm guards this creates a large surface area. The Skinz plate does overlap the A-arm guards a few inches.
PICT0144_edited.jpg
PICT0145_edited.jpg

Onto the new seat cover. Nice gripper material with well thought out patterning. I was extemely happy with this. You will also notice I added wire looms around the wires. Really cleaned things up around the bars.
PICT0153_edited.jpg
PICT0149_edited.jpg

Some added storage and a new rear bumper. This is the same one they have for the Fusion and bolts right up. Gives more area to get your hands in. The windshield bag is big enough for a trail map, camera or maybe an extra set of gloves. Use your imagination. The rear bag is bigger than last years model. You can stuff plenty of food and survival gear/ equipment in here. Last years model does actually fit under the seat, but you loose just a little space and convinience. The new model would also allow you to still use the Polaris underseat bag if you felt so inclined. The rear rack is perfect size and attaches with the T-slots.
PICT0151_edited.jpg
PICT0155_edited-1.jpg

This is the first off the line UltraQ silencer (the quiet version). Sounds piped, but not obnoxious. Fit and finish is perfect. Drops about 7lbs. Quality workmanship. Check their website for soundclips. http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/ They also make a SuperQ which is slightly louder.
PICT0158_edited.jpg
PICT0157_edited.jpg

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Due to photo limitations I had to make this a 2 part. The saga continues.....
I also had them ceramic coat my full exhaust. Take note that I helped my sparkplug wires escape the trap they were in as well as rerouted the throttle cable to remove the bends. I applied wire loom around that as well.
PICT0148_edited.jpg
PICT0147_edited.jpg

This is taken from the engine compartment looking up. Please check that your brake line isn't rubbing against the the aluminum braket. I applied wire loom to this as well. When I changed my gears (19/42), I noticed the pull rope was rubbing on a coolant hose so I loosened the clamp and shifted it slightly. Applied some foil tape. If you add a SLP torque stop. This will also help keep the hoses out of the way.
PICT0137_edited.jpg
PICT0150_edited.jpg

And lastly, for those of you curious about the headlight seal......Sorry I didn't take a more step by step. Photo one shows how far away the seal was. Get a wire wheel for your dremel to remove the old seal and some goo be gone or contact cleaner for any remaining residue. I went to Ace harware and purchased some closed cell foam weather strip and reapplied it directly next to the edge. You will see the countours in the headlight bezel where this should go. You will see how nice it now looks from the front. The side seal needs to go up the one screw shaft to seal properly, not how pic 2 shows it. That was my mistake. Sorry I didn't take any pics of the airbox shelf it needs some attention as well. I heard rumor that is may now be a recall so no worries. Keep your fingers crossed.
PICT0136_edited.jpg
PICT0139_edited.jpg
PICT0156_edited.jpg
PICT0143_edited-1.jpg

If you are looking to jazz up your sled some, take a look at the Skinz products. I'm very happy with everything. Professional craftsmanship and top notch people.
I'm tired, have a great night. Let me know if you have any questions. I will also try to get some pics soon of the complete sled. She's a knockout.

Last edited:

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
That float plate is sweet that and the tcp bumper ( bulletprooof ) this should fit an 06 900 I would assume ? I will be calling them today for mine.thanks for posting these pics Monte.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
No problem guys. The float plate is of the best design I've ever seen. You can always tell the quality of a product by the people designing and builing it. The people at Skinz are definite enthusiasts so they know what needs improving and how to improve it.
I will hopefully be doing some sealevel testing of the Heelclickers this weekend. The secondary is getting 3 delrin washers and a 160-280 spring. I will keep everyone posted of the complete setup.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
those are some awesome products! The float plate would sure cover up the front screen which allows powder to clog up in front of my SLP airbox. It also looks like it would block the airflow to the front of my airbox, which may not be so good. I guess it could be drilled out a bit or spaced away from the stock plastics??

Do you have any pictures of the float plate where it meets just below the factory bumper (looking down from above)?

Thanks, my sled is an 05 900 RMK not dragon

Last edited:
S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
Just an FYI, the A Arm guards are worthless. They just pack tons of snow up in the shock. I just haven't gotten around to taking them off mine.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Yeah, I figured those A-arm guards would do that. I'll try almost anything once. I will try to get a pic of the float plate by the bumper looking down. 410fortune, give me a day or so.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Yeah, you wouldn't run the Polaris skid plate with the Skinz float plate. Unfortunately, they were unable to come up with a way to strengthen the front bumper. I know they really wanted to do something with it. There just wasn't a feesable way to attach to it.

S
Jan 9, 2008
Oregon
Questions?

'Monte,

on the rear bag, I have the Polaris close-off shovel bag all the way to the rear, and the Polaris underseat bag. Looks like the Skinz bag will fit between them?

Also, which bag did you order: their "universal" bag, or one specific to the D800?

Thanks

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
The bag is a Dragon specific rear bag. I will try to get the part # for you as well as a price. I can't say for sure, but I agree that it looks like the Skinz bag should fit between the 2.

S
Jan 9, 2008
Oregon
Thanks, you don't need to get the part # . . .

I'm gonna call them monday anyway. I just didn't see a "dragon bag" on their site. I'm definitely gonna get that, the seat cover, float plate, and "handle bar holder" . . . so I can put the float plate on:)

Is the float plate riveted on?

Also, what do you think of their shock protectors to cover up the Walker Evans?

Thanks

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
The float plate is rivited on. I haven't tried their shock covers so can't give you and opinion on them. I'm sure the quality is as good as the rest of their products. Anyone over there will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Premium Features