• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project 2015/16 Arctic Cat M 8000 SnoPro Build, Part 4 Forum members priority list

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Update On Project 2015/16 Arctic Cat M 8000 SnoPro Build

Part 4—Forum members priority list

Published online: Apr 29, 2015 Arctic Cat Steve Janes Viewed 57 time(s)
Web Exclusive

(EDITOR’S NOTE: This is the fourth in a series of articles about converting a 2015 Arctic Cat M 8000 SnoPro into a SnoWest Forums 2016 Project Cat giveaway sled. Throughout the summer and fall we will be working with SnoWest Forum members to build the perfect snowmobile … and then we will give it away to a Forum member at the end of the build.)

Since our last installment, we’ve been busy on two fronts: first, analyzing the comments of forum members on what you would like to see on this Project Cat; and second, visiting with key Cat engineers on what direction they would like to see the project go.

Cat is still reviewing the comments of forum members and our suggestions for additional modifications … and we will likely get back to business within a few days after they give us their blessing on a few of our suggestions.

But just so you know where we stand, we’ve compiled a list of the top 25 suggestions from the first 10 pages of the forum posts (see chart below) that will offer some ideas on what we are considering.

First, the top suggestions were to do exactly what we’ve started—upgrade the 2015 Arctic Cat M 8000 SnoPro with 2016 parts. Second on the list were the suggestions to change the front and rear suspensions. Of course, by upgrading to 2016 parts, we’ve made vast improvements on the suspension. But still there were a lot of interest in looking at aftermarket suspensions such as KMod, Skinz or Tom’s.

Coming in at No. 3 are changes in the exhaust system. Although many of the suggestions were to add a lightweight can, others felt that specific exhaust systems from companies like Starting Line Products or Diamond S would be the best way to go.

Right behind the exhaust came the call to change the running boards … perhaps to either BDX, Skinz or Airframe.

Rounding out the top 5 suggestions was a strong call for the three-inch track.

From there the list goes on, including adding a belt drive system, lightweight parts, lightweight hood, custom wrap, clutching, etc.

The chart below shows in order (first column) the number of requests for this particular modification, (second column) type of modification and (third column) the specific brand names mentioned and how many times they were mentioned.

We’re sure Arctic Cat is closely reviewing this list as well, looking at what snowmobilers want and trying to figure out how they can improve their snowmobiles to meet these specific needs in the future.

As soon as we get the green light (pun intended) on our next session of modifications, we’ll start focusing on the important things … like what to call our project on what kind of custom wrap we should put on it.

Priority List
<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67">
Number
</td> <td valign="top" width="132">
Category
</td> <td valign="top" width="391">
Brand Names
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 77
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Arctic Cat
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> 2016 updates from Arctic Cat
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 62
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Suspension
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> KMod (9), Skinz (4), BDX (2), Tom’s (3)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 52
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Pipes
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> SLP(13), Diamond S Ti(9), Jaws (2)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 50
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Running Boards
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> BDX (9), Skinz (7), Airframe (6), CR Racing (2)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 46
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Track (3-inch)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 45
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Belt Drive
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> TKI (16), C3 (1)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 43
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Lightweight parts
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> Patrick Carbon (4). Complete Titatium (2)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 32
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Lightweight hood
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> BDX (6), Fire n Ice (3), C3 Fiber (3)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 31
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Wrap
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 30
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Clutching
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> Team (18)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 28
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Bumpers
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> Speedwerx (6),
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 26
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Vents
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> Skinz (5), Frogskin (3), BDX (2)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 24
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Skis
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> SLP (12)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 22
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Big Bore
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> BMP 940 kit (4)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 22
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Tether
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> Teth-Air (1), ProArmor (1)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 21
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Turbo
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> TSS (2), Boondocker (2)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 21
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Narrow it up
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 20
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Supercharger
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> Speedwerx (8)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 18
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Storage
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 16
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Seat
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> Skinz (4), WRP (3)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 16
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Steering
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> CFR Bars (2), C3 Post (1)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 13
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Fuel Tank
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> Oil Injection Delete (3), Mountain Addiction (2)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 9
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Powdercoating
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 7
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Handwarmers
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> RSI (4), Rox Ghost Handguards (2)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 4
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Gauges
</td> <td valign="top" width="391"> Next Stage (2)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 3
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> LED lights
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="67"> 3
</td> <td valign="top" width="132"> Skid Plate
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

G

gjp

Oct 29, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Thanks christopher. Your top 5 match my favorites:
2016 parts,
KMOD or 2016 skid with EVOs from the LE model,
Diamond S Can,
BDX or a/c boards,
3" Powerclaw track.
After that a lightweight hood and belt drive.

Love the project. Summer is too long. This will help get me though it. Cheers!!:beer;:beer;:beer;

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The kmod titanium would take care of 2
Also if you go 3" with slp pipe, Diamond S can, you will want the kmod. Especially when you add a hood, belt drive. Losing weight with a properly setup 3" makes it a wheelie monster. Although fun it depends on rider style. (I'm going to try toms out and see what I think and how it compares for style)

I'm running the fire and ice hood and it's great but not bullet proof, although I thrash trees and am not scared to roll it I'm interested in Patrick's stuff, but a cheap mountain fit my be my best option for abuse.

Get the narrowest boards you can!

I'm looking into building some like the burandt boards for the cat.

If you would like a steering am to add steering, I'll give you one.

As many know I won 2 classes in the bcra event and there is no way possible if it wasn't for burandts boats and added steering on my 2016 in stock class and 14 in mod class (no engine mods, just light weight, 3", clutch right, geared up)

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
...yup...weight loss !

-boards... BDX/Cat/Skinz
-belt drive... TKI
-exhaust... Diamond S Ti, SLP full exhaust
-rear bumper/tunnel stiffener... Cat
-suspension/shocks...BDX,Cat,Fox Kashima Evol R,
-Bars...CFR Boondocker 2.0
-track...3" PC
-wrap it...Toyskinz
-name it....Project M16

Done....Ride it hard

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
...yup...weight loss !

-boards... BDX/Cat/Skinz
-belt drive... TKI
-exhaust... Diamond S Ti, SLP full exhaust
-rear bumper/tunnel stiffener... Cat
-suspension/shocks...BDX,Cat,Fox Kashima Evol R,
-Bars...CFR Boondocker 2.0
-track...3" PC
-wrap it...Toyskinz
-name it....Project M16

Done....Ride it hard

Don't put the CFR bars on it. They are too narrow for me. I'll just have to take them off when I win the sled. :face-icon-small-win

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
If this is the full on snowest project sled for next year I would love to see the full patrick custom carbon body kit. Hood, intake plenum, side panels, dash, hood wing deals ect...

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
I'm curious as to what's more reliable, Turbo, or big bore. Also which one is lighter. It seems to me that the big bore would give it plenty of power and be lighter than the turbo. I've never owned either, so I could be wrong. I've owned the Poo 900 and it was a kick for power, just way to heavy. Now I'm ridding a 10 M8 and love it.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If cat really is watching for what people want,,,,

Why don't they just ask the people riding polaris and doo, what would it take for you to ride a cat? Sorry out the brand loyal part and doo the rest.

It would be something like this.

Drop at least 25lbs
At least Copy the axys on width (panel and boards) and height of boards and panels.

Narrow the seat so it doesn't push your leg off the sled if you have to lay it way over.

Lower the T on the steering post as low as possible so we have more options. ( I cut mine down 2" and added a summit x riser. Now all the way up is stock height but I can go down 2")

Bump the hp +5

Add steering, (if setup right is no harder to steer)

Build a wide keel ski and offset it to the outside 3/4". This will let the sled roll on the keel before the outer edge hits, you would be surprised what it does for backcountry handling.

To start with what we have is way harder to build into this, but if we had this it would be easy for anyone to add to, like wider boards, less steering, even taller bars, add weight, reduce hp, chitty skis. That would be easy. But in all reality only a few would change one thing and that's a maybe. I'd rather have a 30lb lighter sled that may need a brace here or there than spend on average $100 per pound lost.
Just rename it the backcountry-pro as a sub model of the pro climb.

Just sayin ;) and I could say more, lol

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
I agree with WYO on many levels. Cat if you are listening it's time to design the sled around the 2 stroke market and modify the chassis to make it tighter to the motor. I have narrowed mine up, within an inch of WYO's and it makes a HUGE difference with the stock 14 I ride with and mine is a 12. The market is changing and I feel like Cat is behind the times and not leading it. Take the time to get outside the box and bring some of these customers back!

1- narrower body work and boards with better openings

2- Need to cut weight from the sled... 25 lbs WHILE keeping the can would do, but with the new axys with a can we are 40+ pounds behind at the same level of mods... making body work narrower, rethinking the intake system, lighter drive system are all places to start. I also feel that all little things add up. Carbon over-structure, redesigned bulkhead, shorter tunnel, better fitting panels. If you can make this sled in the 430's so that a can and removing foam, etc could cut another 20-25 pounds easily that would be amazing.

3- Need better post options. As has been stated, getting the post TALLER is easy, no so much to take it down.

With the mods on my sled I have no problem tearing up the mountain and keeping up with any Pro, and I don't feel any more or less confident on the Pro, but I've also put a ton of work into mine. I really do enjoy this chassis and think with the new front-end and skid it's going to be amazing and is something I plan on upgrading this summer/fall, but in my opinion this is how the sled should have been during the 13 or 14 model year, slight small changes that make it that much better. You guys did this with the m chassis and that is why it is still a popular sled today, time to step outside the comfort zone and take this chassis to the next stage for the back-country market.

If cat really is watching for what people want,,,,

Why don't they just ask the people riding polaris and doo, what would it take for you to ride a cat? Sorry out the brand loyal part and doo the rest.

It would be something like this.

Drop at least 25lbs
At least Copy the axys on width (panel and boards) and height of boards and panels.

Narrow the seat so it doesn't push your leg off the sled if you have to lay it way over.

Lower the T on the steering post as low as possible so we have more options. ( I cut mine down 2" and added a summit x riser. Now all the way up is stock height but I can go down 2")

Bump the hp +5

Add steering, (if setup right is no harder to steer)

Build a wide keel ski and offset it to the outside 3/4". This will let the sled roll on the keel before the outer edge hits, you would be surprised what it does for backcountry handling.

To start with what we have is way harder to build into this, but if we had this it would be easy for anyone to add to, like wider boards, less steering, even taller bars, add weight, reduce hp, chitty skis. That would be easy. But in all reality only a few would change one thing and that's a maybe. I'd rather have a 30lb lighter sled that may need a brace here or there than spend on average $100 per pound lost.
Just rename it the backcountry-pro as a sub model of the pro climb.

Just sayin ;) and I could say more, lol

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
I agree with WYO on many levels. Cat if you are listening it's time to design the sled around the 2 stroke market and modify the chassis to make it tighter to the motor. I have narrowed mine up, within an inch of WYO's and it makes a HUGE difference with the stock 14 I ride with and mine is a 12. The market is changing and I feel like Cat is behind the times and not leading it. Take the time to get outside the box and bring some of these customers back!

1- narrower body work and boards with better openings

2- Need to cut weight from the sled... 25 lbs WHILE keeping the can would do, but with the new axys with a can we are 40+ pounds behind at the same level of mods... making body work narrower, rethinking the intake system, lighter drive system are all places to start. I also feel that all little things add up. Carbon over-structure, redesigned bulkhead, shorter tunnel, better fitting panels. If you can make this sled in the 430's so that a can and removing foam, etc could cut another 20-25 pounds easily that would be amazing.

3- Need better post options. As has been stated, getting the post TALLER is easy, no so much to take it down.

With the mods on my sled I have no problem tearing up the mountain and keeping up with any Pro, and I don't feel any more or less confident on the Pro, but I've also put a ton of work into mine. I really do enjoy this chassis and think with the new front-end and skid it's going to be amazing and is something I plan on upgrading this summer/fall, but in my opinion this is how the sled should have been during the 13 or 14 model year, slight small changes that make it that much better. You guys did this with the m chassis and that is why it is still a popular sled today, time to step outside the comfort zone and take this chassis to the next stage for the back-country market.

Yup !!!

M
Jan 28, 2008
NW Montana
Yes weight loss is important but do we know where cat sits on the scale? I know they have lost weight over the past few years but what does a153, 800 weight? Riding a 15 last year felt fairly light and nimble great power and its width did not seem to hinder its ability in the snow, but with that said I would love to see Cat keep their chassis for the 4 strokes but narrow the plastic up for the 2017 - 2 strokes with a weight goal of 430-440, Cat is such a great company and I would love to see more of them on the snow. ( I still have my 03 1/2 900 MC which is raised 2" front and rear to fit a timber sled rear skid and narrowed to 36". I love the 900, lots of torque and clutching is simple and belts are cheap.)

Premium Features