• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Review and Install: Scala Rider G9 Communication system.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
This is a joint review and installation with "Christopher". As he mentioned before he had ordered a pair and I happened to install them for him and over the past three days we have ridden with them twice and here's how it worked!

Stage1Upgrade102.jpg

Here is the general overview of what this device can do.

General

Talk time: up to 13 hours
Standby time: 7 days
Charging time: 3 hours
Certificates: FCC, IC,CE, Bluetooth®
Bluetooth® version 2.1 class 1
Chip manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR)
Battery type: Rechargeable Li-Polymer
Digital Signal Processing (DSP) for advanced audio

Snowmobile Intercom

4-Way (2 riders and 2 passengers)
3-Way (3 separate snowmobiles)
2-Way (rider-to-rider or rider-to-passenger)
Mobile Phone Conference Mode (rider, passenger, outside caller)

GPS (requires headset profile)

Compatible with most major Bluetooth GPS devices
GPS voice instructions override music, FM Radio and Intercom calls

Supported Mobile Phone Profiles and Functions

Headset and Handsfree profiles
A2DP/AVRCP profile for wireless streaming stereo from MP3 player or other A2DP device
Voice Dial
Redial
Call Reject
Conference mode between outside caller, Driver and Passenger

Built-in FM Radio

87.5 MHz to 108 MHz FM receiver
RDS functionality (adjusts to best frequencies according to zones)
6-station memory with Search and Store functions
Automatic radio muting for incoming calls

Software Update

Software update-ready directly from PC (requires Windows® XP™, Vista™ or Windows 7 based PC)

MP3 / Music

Wireless MP3 music (A2DP) or through cable connected MP3 player

Mechanical / Functional Features

Fits virtually all snowmobile helmets
Quick-Release mechanism to detach Snowmobile Bluetooth headset from clamp
Glue-On Option included (in lieu of clamp attachment)
Corded microphone and two slim speakers fit even the tightest full-faced helmets
Multiple control buttons

Mobile phone
Channel to Rider A
Channel to Rider B
Volume Up
Volume Down
FM Radio
MP3 Player

Audio Features

Multi-Lingual Spoken Status Announcements
Specially Calibrated Noise Cancellation Microphone
AGC technology: automatic volume adjustment of audio signals according to riding speed and ambient noise (AGC covers audio from MP3 Player, Mobile Phone, Intercoms, GPS)
VOX technology: accept or reject calls by voice commands

Design

Flip-Up Antenna for intercom extended range of up to 1 mile
Fully rain and snow resistant
Rugged and streamlined design

Charger

110/240V 50/60Hz Universal Travel Charger
Charger unit uses USB cable that also serves as software download cable.

Compatible with entire scala rider product line**

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
So you open up the box and its going to contain two of everything. Since each is a set of two units that are already paired to each other. (that was a pleasant surprise)

Now this is what the one set of everything looks like
1-21-2014035.jpg

It comes with every little device you could think of. Along with two mics, a wired and a boom one. The mounting devices are either a stick on or a clamp.

Here we see all of the parts laid out for us
Scala-G9-02.jpg

Now the first difficulty for us was figuring out how to actually mount it to the helmet. We are using the KLIM F4 for our helmets.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Mounting

First and foremost, we decided to mount this device on the left side of the helmet so that it can be used without having to take ones hand off the throttle. We thought it was the best decision.

Alright attempt number 1 was pulling the cheek pad out and attaching it right to that and putting the cheek pad back into the helmet.

That was a NO go due to the fact you cant get the antenna out because the device is to far back into the helmet.
1-21-2014041.jpg

1-21-2014042.jpg

Attempt number 2

Was to attach it to the plastic inside liner of the helmet.
That was a NO go as well because it forced the device to angle inside the helmet and once again the antenna was trapped.

1-21-2014046.jpg

1-21-2014045.jpg

Last edited:

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Solution!

The solution to the mounting was to just clamp it almost all the way through. From the outside shell to underneath the cheek pad as seen below!

1-21-2014051.jpg

Here you are able to see that the antenna for the first time is able to stand up all the way free and clear. It also mounts very securely using the included allen key. The mounts where very secure and never once did i worry about loosing the device.

Another view

1-21-2014047.jpg

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Alright now to install the speakers and the mic.

Now what we found worked the best was to place each speaker right above where the helmet strap connects to the helmet. When the liner is placed inside the helmet it forms a hole there and each speaker fits in there perfectly and most importantly comfortably.

1-21-2014052.jpg

1-21-2014054.jpg

Each speaker is attached to the helmet via an included piece of sticky side Velcro and the Velcro that the speaker is enveloped in. Very stable once attached, no worry about these speakers coming un velcro'd.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Wiring,

Now we decided to run all of the wiring from the device underneath the cheek pad. Now I know its hard to see black on black but you can see all three cables, both speakers and the mic run together underneath the cheek pad.

1-21-2014053.jpg

Mic,

Now the mic really was the easiest part, if you ride with the winter insert in the front of your helmet like we do. The mic just velcros right onto the helmet and you bend the mic to form right into the space at the front of it. I never even noticed that the mic was there.

1-21-2014050.jpg

Here again with all the wires coming up the middle of the cheek pad, underneath it.

1-21-2014051.jpg

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Alright well with that all put together, the cords needed a little electrical tape and then putting the liner and cheek pads back in the helmet was ready.

So i went and got Mr. "Christopher" to come model his new helmet comm for all of you to see!

1-21-2014058.jpg

1-21-2014057.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You're going to really dig this setup!!
Not soo much.
We have had two full days of riding with this system now, and at best I would say we enjoyed VERY MIXED RESULTS.

In concept, this thing is FABULOUS.
When it works, it works GREAT and significantly ads to the overall enjoyment of riding.

I will let CBP go into all the details on the review.

But the core issue I encountered was transmission power over the BlueTooth Connection.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Alright now that the Scala Units have been installed, its time for the review.

Now we first tested this things just inside the house and the first red flag that I noticed was that if I was in the garage and the other person walked just around a gorilla rack in the garage the signal went instantly fuzzy and sometimes just died. They could be 30 feet away from me but just barely out of sight and I wouldnt be able to hear them.

Now take this out to the parking lot where we first really tried the system. What we noticed is that as Christopher drove away from me to about 200 yards, anything more than that and the signal would die and I wouldnt be able to hear him. Any time he drove behind anything the signal would become so distorted I would not be able to understand him.

To give you an example, we were in the parking lot and he drove about 150 yards from me and passed behind a single tree. Keep in mind I could see the front and back of his sled. But his head was behind a tree and instantly I couldnt understand him.

Now this pattern extended to bends in the trail, rises in the riding, any foliage, if I couldnt see his head clearly (While staying within 150 yards) then almost always I wouldnt be able to hear what he was saying.

So point number 1, the system is seriously under powered.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Point 2

Now the second part of this system that we struggled with was the voice activated system. Countless times I would jump something of be working on a side hill and give a little whoop when I make it. Or just say something to my self and the system would think I was asking it to turn on the radio, and then just static would play. This happened at least 30 times throughout the ride, it was very annoying. Multiple times I would just turn the system off to get the radio to go away.

The concept is really cool that it is voice activated, but it was really a nuisance for us.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Point 3

Now there were some good points about this system!

The biggest thing that we really liked about the system was that when it worked it was an absolute blast. As I was climbing something, sidehilling, or just rolling on the trail Christopher and I were able to chat, and laugh and banter back all day long.

He would just give me crap, or joke or anything. Any time that it was working, it really was enjoyable!

On top of that when we had a group it made it so much easier to keep track of people, and to make sure we stayed together.

One the most fun parts of it is that as we are going down the trail and trying to get in front of each other the system would give me a heads up when he went WOT so I would know to pick up speed so he couldnt pass me. It was very funny actually.

One top of that the battery life was wonderful, we ran it for 4 or 5 hours most of the time on open transmit and they didnt die on us or give a low battery warning.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Last point,

With the system we used the push to talk feature, so when we decided that he wanted to talk we would just press the A channel feature and it would open a channel between the two of us. That would stay open till we pressed the same button to close it.

We both liked that it would leave an open channel for us to chat and that when one pressed the A channel button it would automatically open it on the other. There was no pressing to accept or anything like that.

Also while riding in my light weight gloves i had no problem accessing the comm button to turn on or off the mic. It was very easy to get to and to operate.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Great write up and review!!

I've had good function with mine and the issues you have were not present in my unit. I also have an earlier software version.

I also believe, however, that for the mountains... it needs more power.

Have you contacted the Mfg about your concerns.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Final Impression,

1. This system seems to have been created for dedicated trail riders who plan to remain in sight of each other. When we where riding down the trail within close distance of each other the system performed great and it was a true joy to have.

2. The battery life on these things is wonderful, no fear of them dieing just after a few hours of use.

3. These are not meant to be used while playing in the trees or going anywhere, where you would not be in close proximity and direct line of sight to the other person.

4. I will use this system again when we ride, but I would not purchase it again I dont think if I had it to do over just because of how often the comm didnt work due to the fact that Christopher was just barely out of sight.

That brings the brief overview of the Scala Rider G9 Communication System (snowmobile edition) to a close.

QUESTIONS??

Christopher if I have left out or forgotten anything feel free to jump in here!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Great write up and review!!

I've had good function with mine and the issues you have were not present in my unit. I also have an earlier software version.

I also believe, however, that for the mountains... it needs more power.

Have you contacted the Mfg about your concerns.

So you had no problems with the voice activated system or with them cutting out often?

And no not yet, just starting down this path so far. But I would be happy to chat with them about the product if you have a contact point with them.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Comments.
It is my understanding that we can reprogram the voice activated radio feature OFF. So that talking will never trigger the empty radio channel to come on.

Even though this is by no means a perfect system, I have NO intention at all of removing it from my helmet! NONE !!

While the power is not high enough via the Blue Tooth transmission, it is still FAR FAR BETTER than the alternative of having NO comms.

When this unit is working properly within its capabilities, it is a TOTAL FREAKING BLAST to have on. I don't think most riders have any idea how much more fun riding is when you can talk to each other!

I don't know if it would be possible to mount an external blue tooth booster to the sled to overcome the power issues?? It might be, and if it worked, then this system would be GOLDEN in my opinion.!

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Aside from the transmission power issue, would this system be improved by a bar mounted remote PTT switch if one were available?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The VOX system works pretty darn well.
My sled is LOUD, and that will trigger the VOX from time to time.
Any normal sled would likely NOT see that as an issue.

Just to be clear.
We CONTINUE to use this system every week.

Make no mistake about it, while it has it's short comings, the upside of being able to talk to the other rider is PHENOMENAL!

Premium Features