• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

STOLEN STUFF

W

waynemags

Feb 28, 2013
I found this on a forum that im on. share this and just maybe someone out there can help these guys. heres the message,,,,,,
Stolen truck and sleds
Hey guys, ...came to revelstoke this weekend from saskatchewan and this morning at 5 in the morning our truck and trailer with 4 sleds was stolen from the best western hotel parking lot. One brand new green 2014 Arctic cat HCR 8000 team arctic decals with 60 miles on it, a 2014 orange m8000 sno pro with 50 miles on it, a 2013 Polaris pro rmk all blacked out no decals with 1300 miles on it and a 2011 arctic cat m8 ho limited edition lime green with 900 miles. The truck was a 2001 ford f250 diesel red color with a red 32 foot trailer with 'go deep' on the back door and a 'caterpillar' decal as well. Hard to miss unit. If anyone sees any of these units let me know! Call or text 13067957845 we are flying home tomorrow

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
WOW! That's a ****ty morning. I can't believe these huge thefts are still going on out there. Truck/trailer and 4 new sleds. 100k, gone!?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
That just sucks. Does the best western have any cameras?

If not it should be a noted to everyone that travels to revy. Don't stay their.

I think we stayed at the sandman and they had 24/7 parking lot cameras. not that we stayed up at night monitoring, but I think everyone knows the cameras are their and working.

Thunder

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
WOW! That's a ****ty morning. I can't believe these huge thefts are still going on out there. Truck/trailer and 4 new sleds. 100k, gone!?

3rd truck and trailer from revy this year i believe, also heard a super duty with a deck and two sleds taken from Valemount this weekend too.

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
For as many thefts as there are in rev think maybe the cops are in on it?
Or do they just suck?
Ideas?

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Or do they just suck?
Ideas?

They are starting bait sleds and trailers... there is speculation on buisness owners but why would you ruin tourism dollars. sledders spend big money out there.

revelstoke needs to do something about it cause its getting bad

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
that whole rig had to be loaded into a semi with trailer..willikers its a sad deal..

the hotels in such popular sledding spots should offer camera surveillance on their parking lots that the night time desk clerk can monitor

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
This bites!!

I found this on a forum that im on. share this and just maybe someone out there can help these guys. heres the message,,,,,,
Stolen truck and sleds
Hey guys, ...came to revelstoke this weekend from saskatchewan and this morning at 5 in the morning our truck and trailer with 4 sleds was stolen from the best western hotel parking lot. One brand new green 2014 Arctic cat HCR 8000 team arctic decals with 60 miles on it, a 2014 orange m8000 sno pro with 50 miles on it, a 2013 Polaris pro rmk all blacked out no decals with 1300 miles on it and a 2011 arctic cat m8 ho limited edition lime green with 900 miles. The truck was a 2001 ford f250 diesel red color with a red 32 foot trailer with 'go deep' on the back door and a 'caterpillar' decal as well. Hard to miss unit. If anyone sees any of these units let me know! Call or text 13067957845 we are flying home tomorrow

This bites for sure!! As I Revelstokian and a local business owner, I am sorry to hear of your misfortunes.

The thieves are professional! They know how to break into trucks and make their get-aways. They also seem to have an idea what sleds to target.

Unfortunately, from what I have heard, the Ford 350 series truck is one of the easiest to disarm, break into and get away with.

We all need to take every step to make the thieves move onto an easier target, be sure to use immobilizers such as steering system locks and/or engine disabling device.

Hope you get your sleds and rig back. The RCMP are starting up a Sled Bait Program very soon, hopefully it will have some deterrent effect, and perhaps catch some of these thieves.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I agree with capt ron....almost all truck thefts (involving sleds) you hear of are Ford Superduty's of the roughly 2000 - 2008 vintage. They are so easy to break in to. Might be worth an extra immobilizer or alarm system if you have one of those. Now, it can happy to anyone....but those just seem to be overly easy targets.

Problem in small town BC is....you are never more than a stone's throw away from being in very rural areas. One long driveway out of sight of the highway and you have unlimited time to store stuff, take apart, take off stickers, whatever. Cops say they are going to make a bigger push with the "bait program" with regards to sleds this winter, and I imagine revy would get the majority of the love. Hopefully they roast a few people real good.

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
Seriously??

Or do they just suck?
Ideas?

Seriously Blitzkrieg?? Give your head a shake!!

You can't come up with a better response than this?? Between the Sledders and skiers that come into town every weekend, our town's population is nearly doubled on some weekends.

The RCMP are a Professional Force! As a Canadian and a Revelstokian, I am proud of the Heritage of the RCMP, I know they work hard and diligently.
I take Objection with your statement.

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
Speculation??

They are starting bait sleds and trailers... there is speculation on buisness owners but why would you ruin tourism dollars. sledders spend big money out there.

revelstoke needs to do something about it cause its getting bad

Sheesh!!!

I understand people being upset about these thefts, as we should all be! These thieves are organized, trained and experienced. Not to mention very Ballsy! The trucks and trailers are usually found several days later, and often hundreds of miles away from Revy. Please do not insult the good people of our town, or our business's by making such a damning statement!

These thefts are most unfortunate for sure, we, (Revelstokians and Business owners) would all be happy to not have our town labelled with this type of criminal activity, you can be sure of that!

It would be beneficial for Sledders to start policing ourselves better. Focus on deterring the thieves with immobilizing your trucks, locking out the steering systems, etc. Also be alert for criminal or suspicious activities, "Watch out for each other". Report suspicious activities to the RCMP.

Beyond the thieves that are directly involved, ...what about the people in our society that are willing to purchase the stolen sleds, and or parts. If you should hear of stolen sleds, or suspiciously good deals that are just to good to be true, report them, as they probably are to good to be true. We are a large demographic of people, if or when you hear of something that just doesnt sound right, get involved and do the right thing. We can all help by shutting down the market for the stolen goods.

I apologize for my rant here this morning. However, rest assured the thefts are not associated with any local business's. IMO

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I wish the police wouldn't announce a bait program...

I would rather have it kept quite and the thieves feeling comfortable and catching them instead of scaring them off..

A bedbug is better dead then hiding in the mattress..

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Seriously Blitzkrieg?? Give your head a shake!!

You can't come up with a better response than this?? Between the Sledders and skiers that come into town every weekend, our town's population is nearly doubled on some weekends.

The RCMP are a Professional Force! As a Canadian and a Revelstokian, I am proud of the Heritage of the RCMP, I know they work hard and diligently.
I take Objection with your statement.

I dunno, I think that it has some credence. Theft in Revy has been rampant for years and still, Revy is famous for it. I live hundreds of miles away, in a different country and know how bad Revy's reputation is. So, are the police really on it, or is it just business as usual?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
they already have a good idea where the sleds are going,they have been turning up allot of them in the prince George area.but unless they catch them red handed they cant touch them.the big prob with revy unfortunately is everybody knows how popular it is for sledding, so where should a thief go hmm where there is the biggest selection of out of town sledders.way easier to steal a truck or truck & trailer than a sled from someones garage.

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
Cpt.Ron I agree that no business in rev would be aiding this corruption thus losing business but that doesn't mean their employees aren't. It's easy $ for a front desk person to give a tip on a truck. This happened in Billings MT in the late 90s at the C'mon Inn.
As for the Police, there can be bad ones in any branch. Obviously theft is an ongoing problem so some are either in on it or they need to change their methods of enforcement.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Unfortunately there are a lot of crimes in a lot of places worldwide that are ongoing and difficult to solve or successfully combat....

Yes Revelstoke is known for high-profile sled thefts - but it is also THE destination for high-profile high-dollar truck/sled/trailer setups. You could steal every enclosed sled trailer in my town (which is 3 hours down the road from Revelstoke and twice the size), and not add up to 1/2 the enclosed sled trailers that come to Revelstoke from Alberta in one weekend. You couldn't steal a $200,000 sledding rig here because...well, because no one has one. There is enough of a selection there that the thieves can pick and choose what they feel is an easy target and/or has a worthwhile payoff.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for high-intensity 24 hour police surveillance for your (our) special-interest problem, I can't think of any small interior-BC cities/towns that have the budget for that. These are small towns that simply don't always have the tax base to support public services to a level that might be "the norm" in larger centers. Revelstoke has a population of like 7,000. A 7,000 person town in BC generally has fairly comprehensive services/stores/etc, because the communities are fairly isolated. Elsewhere in the world, a 7,000 person town would be lucky to have more than one gas station, pub, or motel....let alone a full-time full-service police detachment. It's a unique situation for sure.

I would take a lot of precautions to leave my sledding setup sitting overnight relatively exposed, regardless of what city/country it may be in. Not saying that people haven't done that....sometimes crappy stuff happens even with the best planning.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
How does Canadia law enforcement feel about vigilantism?

About the same as your legal system and any other law....works great if ya don't get caught. Personally....it sounds great at first thought, but in the real world not worth the risk for a bunch of insured metal and plastic.

Premium Features