how to adjust oil pump? - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum
For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

New Thread

Go Back   SnoWest Snowmobile Forum > Performance & Modifications > Ski-Doo > Ski-Doo: XP Sleds

SnoWest
Register Forums New Posts Classifieds Garages

Upgrade to Premium
Ski-Doo: XP Sleds 2007.5-current, all models in the XP, XT and XR chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Currently: Not set.

Skidoo83 has a reputation beyond reputeSkidoo83 has a reputation beyond reputeSkidoo83 has a reputation beyond reputeSkidoo83 has a reputation beyond reputeSkidoo83 has a reputation beyond reputeSkidoo83 has a reputation beyond reputeSkidoo83 has a reputation beyond reputeSkidoo83 has a reputation beyond reputeSkidoo83 has a reputation beyond reputeSkidoo83 has a reputation beyond reputeSkidoo83 has a reputation beyond repute
Default how to adjust oil pump?

Is there any special tool required to adjust the oil pump and how do you adjust it. the sled needs more oil.
Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 12-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Currently: Wants to ride

Ed Fast has a reputation beyond reputeEd Fast has a reputation beyond reputeEd Fast has a reputation beyond reputeEd Fast has a reputation beyond reputeEd Fast has a reputation beyond reputeEd Fast has a reputation beyond reputeEd Fast has a reputation beyond reputeEd Fast has a reputation beyond reputeEd Fast has a reputation beyond reputeEd Fast has a reputation beyond reputeEd Fast has a reputation beyond repute
Default oil pump

I have a 08 not sure but would assume the same on the rest. You take the black guard off on the pipe side. Directly behind that there is some black wire wrap looking stuff tied to the engine with sip ties. Cut the ties and peel back the stuff( sorry spacing the name) and adjust the nut in there, You want to make it longer. I know this was a bad discription but I hope it helps.
Ed
Old 12-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Basic Member

powdersnobb has a reputation beyond reputepowdersnobb has a reputation beyond reputepowdersnobb has a reputation beyond reputepowdersnobb has a reputation beyond reputepowdersnobb has a reputation beyond reputepowdersnobb has a reputation beyond reputepowdersnobb has a reputation beyond reputepowdersnobb has a reputation beyond reputepowdersnobb has a reputation beyond reputepowdersnobb has a reputation beyond reputepowdersnobb has a reputation beyond repute

Just remove it and do premix! Do some searching on dootalk. It's the way to go. So far so good for me.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:51 AM
Basic Member

djnatzz is an unknown quantity at this point

hate to sound like a retard but.. how would you be able to tell if it needed more oil?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Currently: Recovering from shoulder surgery

tpollon2 has a reputation beyond reputetpollon2 has a reputation beyond reputetpollon2 has a reputation beyond reputetpollon2 has a reputation beyond reputetpollon2 has a reputation beyond reputetpollon2 has a reputation beyond reputetpollon2 has a reputation beyond reputetpollon2 has a reputation beyond reputetpollon2 has a reputation beyond reputetpollon2 has a reputation beyond reputetpollon2 has a reputation beyond repute

Fill gas tank to the top, burp it and top it off. Mark your oil level before you ride. After ride measure how much oil you use to fill it back up to that mark. Fill your sled up with gas back to full, burp it and fill it some more to top it off at the gas staion. You will now have your fuel to oil ratio. It should be somewhere around 35 to 1 to be safe. Some guys lean it out to 40 to 1.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 PM

8alltheway has a reputation beyond repute8alltheway has a reputation beyond repute8alltheway has a reputation beyond repute8alltheway has a reputation beyond repute8alltheway has a reputation beyond repute8alltheway has a reputation beyond repute8alltheway has a reputation beyond repute8alltheway has a reputation beyond repute8alltheway has a reputation beyond repute8alltheway has a reputation beyond repute8alltheway has a reputation beyond repute

any idea what they're set at from the dealer? My 09 seems to drink a hell of alot of oil. I was gonna lean it out to save a few bucks on oil but since my motor warranty expired I mite think better of that idea and just leave it
Old 12-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Currently: Building sleds lighter

ak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond repute

16.5 mm is the measurment you want. That is ski doo spec.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:02 PM

snopro59 has a reputation beyond reputesnopro59 has a reputation beyond reputesnopro59 has a reputation beyond reputesnopro59 has a reputation beyond reputesnopro59 has a reputation beyond reputesnopro59 has a reputation beyond reputesnopro59 has a reputation beyond reputesnopro59 has a reputation beyond reputesnopro59 has a reputation beyond reputesnopro59 has a reputation beyond reputesnopro59 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak View Post
16.5 mm is the measurment you want. That is ski doo spec.
I have the manual and have mine set at 16.5 mm. It still is rich on oil and I would like to turn it down slightly.

Would I make it 17 mm or 16mm to lean the oil mixture?. The book doesn't talk about how lengthening or shortening effects the mixture. I don't want to go the wrong way.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Currently: Building sleds lighter

ak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond reputeak has a reputation beyond repute

the longer the measurement the less oil. The 600 sdi were set at 20 mm.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Currently: Pulling the trigger ;)

Hiterhard has a reputation beyond reputeHiterhard has a reputation beyond reputeHiterhard has a reputation beyond reputeHiterhard has a reputation beyond reputeHiterhard has a reputation beyond reputeHiterhard has a reputation beyond reputeHiterhard has a reputation beyond reputeHiterhard has a reputation beyond reputeHiterhard has a reputation beyond reputeHiterhard has a reputation beyond reputeHiterhard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollon2 View Post
Fill gas tank to the top, burp it and top it off. Mark your oil level before you ride. After ride measure how much oil you use to fill it back up to that mark. Fill your sled up with gas back to full, burp it and fill it some more to top it off at the gas staion. You will now have your fuel to oil ratio. It should be somewhere around 35 to 1 to be safe. Some guys lean it out to 40 to 1.
are the gains that you "may" get with the 40 to 1 vs. the 35 to 1 mix that great? Other than not having to go buy oil every ride what is the main benifit to running a little leaner mix? and does having a richer mix, (meaning I've never touched the oil pump , so I'm assuming I'm rich) hurt you on the potential performance of your sled?

2014 Summit XM 154". Trygstad 872!!! for me
2015 Summit XM 600 154" for the wife.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Currently: fixin broken chit

cjgodden has a reputation beyond reputecjgodden has a reputation beyond reputecjgodden has a reputation beyond reputecjgodden has a reputation beyond reputecjgodden has a reputation beyond reputecjgodden has a reputation beyond reputecjgodden has a reputation beyond reputecjgodden has a reputation beyond reputecjgodden has a reputation beyond reputecjgodden has a reputation beyond reputecjgodden has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

16.5 mm is the mineral oil setting, if your running a blend or full synthetic oil you can go 18.5 mm. I have set many 800r engine's at 18.5 and not had any issues.

Friendship is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel its true warmth. Thanks for being the pee in my pants.

I LIKE SLUTS
Old 12-28-2010, 06:31 PM

dooitinthesnow has a reputation beyond reputedooitinthesnow has a reputation beyond reputedooitinthesnow has a reputation beyond reputedooitinthesnow has a reputation beyond reputedooitinthesnow has a reputation beyond reputedooitinthesnow has a reputation beyond reputedooitinthesnow has a reputation beyond reputedooitinthesnow has a reputation beyond reputedooitinthesnow has a reputation beyond reputedooitinthesnow has a reputation beyond reputedooitinthesnow has a reputation beyond repute

I need to adjust mine! My sled keeps fouling plugs and running real boggy! It runs good at wide open, but if I put around it gets loaded up and have to run it wide open for a while till it cleans itself out. I thought it was my dpm solenoid, but i'm almost running out of oil before i run out of gas!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:57 AM

giddyup has a reputation beyond reputegiddyup has a reputation beyond reputegiddyup has a reputation beyond reputegiddyup has a reputation beyond reputegiddyup has a reputation beyond reputegiddyup has a reputation beyond reputegiddyup has a reputation beyond reputegiddyup has a reputation beyond reputegiddyup has a reputation beyond reputegiddyup has a reputation beyond reputegiddyup has a reputation beyond repute
Default oil

check your cable at the pump, many of them are fraying and will bind up holding the pump open. not easy to see but you can look with a light between the clutches and see the pump
good luck
giddyup
Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Currently: SHR 2013 SKi Doo XM
Basic Member

SWEETXPBEATCH has a reputation beyond reputeSWEETXPBEATCH has a reputation beyond reputeSWEETXPBEATCH has a reputation beyond reputeSWEETXPBEATCH has a reputation beyond reputeSWEETXPBEATCH has a reputation beyond reputeSWEETXPBEATCH has a reputation beyond reputeSWEETXPBEATCH has a reputation beyond reputeSWEETXPBEATCH has a reputation beyond reputeSWEETXPBEATCH has a reputation beyond reputeSWEETXPBEATCH has a reputation beyond reputeSWEETXPBEATCH has a reputation beyond repute
Default You may want to leave it where it is

I have had two 08's. Both gulp oil and my most current 08', oil res leaks at the cap. There was a thread on DT about this topic two years ago. A great number of members felt that the minimal amount of oil saved wasn't worth the risk of losing a crank/motor. The 08's crank/bearing tolerances are awful and was suggested that the extra oil was to attempt to avoid losing the crank prematurely.
IMO, check it, leave it rich rather than lean.

Does anyone have a picture or up on Fische to demo what needs to be adjusted/inspected?

Last edited by SWEETXPBEATCH; 12-30-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Currently: Taking orders for T3's

pyxle has a reputation beyond reputepyxle has a reputation beyond reputepyxle has a reputation beyond reputepyxle has a reputation beyond reputepyxle has a reputation beyond reputepyxle has a reputation beyond reputepyxle has a reputation beyond reputepyxle has a reputation beyond reputepyxle has a reputation beyond reputepyxle has a reputation beyond reputepyxle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oil pump adjustment

Here is an image I made a few years ago to help with the adjustment.
You need to wedge the throttle to take up any freeplay before measuring the oil pump cable gap.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pyxle For This Useful Post:
fredw (02-22-2012), High Voltage (01-01-2011), Skidoo83 (01-03-2011), Spike38 (03-03-2011), SWEETXPBEATCH (12-30-2010)
Old 02-22-2012, 02:59 AM
Currently: now to dial it in on nitrous
Basic Member

fredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond repute

18.5mm with full syn
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Basic Member

gman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredw View Post
18.5mm with full syn
Agreed. I have 5 years on an 800R and can tell you that any more (oil) will foul plugs.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited by gman086; 02-25-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Currently: now to dial it in on nitrous
Basic Member

fredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond reputefredw has a reputation beyond repute

why i brought this up is because i seen others running 14.5mm and no issues in years with the good oil, even others down a 12.5mm

in the past with the regular oil i would use 1/4 tank of oil to a full tank of fuel, so you would think with the better oil it could even be 1/3 better than that
Old 02-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Currently: waiting for snow
Basic Member

evaldave has a reputation beyond reputeevaldave has a reputation beyond reputeevaldave has a reputation beyond reputeevaldave has a reputation beyond reputeevaldave has a reputation beyond reputeevaldave has a reputation beyond reputeevaldave has a reputation beyond reputeevaldave has a reputation beyond reputeevaldave has a reputation beyond reputeevaldave has a reputation beyond reputeevaldave has a reputation beyond repute

So now I'm confused. I thought the more slack you have in your cable the lower the ratio or less oil consumed? I have an 08 and over the summer I installed a new cable and I am using a ton of oil per ride almost half tank and still have fuel. I am out of adjustment and I can barely get 16 or less of slack. I was thinking i got the wrong cable and need to install yet another one so I have adjustment. Or I could be totally off base and just need to take out the slack. Any thoughts?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Basic Member

gman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond reputegman086 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldave View Post
So now I'm confused. I thought the more slack you have in your cable the lower the ratio or less oil consumed? I have an 08 and over the summer I installed a new cable and I am using a ton of oil per ride almost half tank and still have fuel. I am out of adjustment and I can barely get 16 or less of slack. I was thinking i got the wrong cable and need to install yet another one so I have adjustment. Or I could be totally off base and just need to take out the slack. Any thoughts?
Correct - more slack = less oil. What part confused you? If you're referring to my post where I state "any more will foul plugs" I mean any more OIL, not cable free play. Noted in my post now.

Have FUN!

G MAN
The Following User Says Thank You to gman086 For This Useful Post:
evaldave (02-25-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Basic Member

morganotley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oil ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollon2 View Post
what do you measure each gas and oil in. (gallons or oz's) (ml's or ?)