• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to IQ Chassis.............. '06 RMK 700

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Hey Guys,

I'm just getting back into riding after 10 years, but rode for about 25 prior to that. The last sled I tore up the hill with was a 96 Indy 600 in 1999. I am an advanced rider, or at least I was until I got onto the new IQ Chassis, (06 RMK 700 159). I cant seem to get this sled to do what I want it to do. I'm told the suspension makes it ride alot different than the older sleds and its like learning to ride all over again. I'm starting to learn it a little better, after about 4 rides now. But it stills feel very foreign to me.

It feels like it dives to the outside on the corners and actually feels "outside heavy" This is partly, I'm sure, due to me learning the new center of gravity and getting used to the sled. But, I need to fix this, I have some thoughts.

Skis, Shocks, Swaybars

1. Get new skis, I'm thinking Powder Pro's, these stock skis are like turning in mashed potatoes.
2. New shocks, I'm looking at Fox Floats 2 to replace the spongy stock shocks on there now.
3. Remove the swaybar. None of the newer IQ chassis's even have it

Here's my question(s):

1. If I'm learning to ride this IQ chassis and I'm going to be taking the swaybar our when I put new shocks on in a few months, should I just take the swaybar out now, so I'm learning the new chassis without it, not with then without?

2. For those of you that went from Gen II or Edge Chassis's to the IQ, what tips or pointers can you give me to start to get more comfortable with the handling of this new sled.

3. Not to pat myself on the back, but I'm a great rider. I just dont feel like one anymore riding this chassis. Is this common for the switch to the IQ style chassis?

I mainly Boondock and sidehill with a little climbing. All my trail riding is to get me to the areas to boondock and sidehill. I do, of course, sidehill off the trail on the way up.

Thanks in advance for any and all input

F

Fast Freddie

Mar 1, 2009
Shoshone Idaho
Old to new riding

First off welcome back to sledding. All the new sleds with independent front ends feel like they dive to the out side. These new sleds you need to ride more like a dirt bike. Alot of standing up! & counter steering,AND PULLING THE SLED UP ON EDGE TO TURN once you get this a lot of fun to be had.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hapThis was the hardest thing for me to catch on to, but when i did my riding got 10 times better.
As far as parts ski powder pro's,shocks fox floats,a 8in big wheel two wheel kit a must for side hilling.
If you take the sway bar out it will really dive on the trails. But in the powder it will help you be able to pull it up on edge which is how you ride these new sleds.But it will also dive in to tree wells boondocking.So if you do take the sway bar out crank up the front shocks.
If you read the 900 forums it will help you out as far as what to do for parts on the 05/06 models the people on there are a lot of help.
Hope this helps & again welcome back, its like learning allover again.
I went from a 99 mm to a 05 rmk
FF:beer;:beer;

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Welcome to the club:D

Ya, as FF said, these things need to be ridden a lot differently than the sleds you were use to. A much higher center of gravity and much softer suspension take some getting used to. I am coming off an Edge chassis and this is a night and day difference.

If your finding right now that the sled is diving to the outside with the stock non adjustable front springs, DON'T remove the sway bar, that will REALLY make it roll over. Once you get some good shocks on there, Floats or Zero Pros, it will be a lot better and then you will be able to adjust them to your riding style and minimize the diving. One thing you can check in the mien time before you put shocks in it, is to make sure your ski stance is set all the way out, this will make a HUGE difference, believe it or not.

My first ride on my 900, I had already removed the sway bar and in the corners it dang near did barrel rolls, haha:eek: cranking up the ski pressure and widening the skis out from the center to the outside made a big difference.:D:D

Skis: Powder pros are good on this chassis, but if you wanna save some money, get a set of Grippers off a newer IQ, they are awesome and usually can be found cheaper.

General advice coming off an Edge, this thing is gonna wanna roll over on its side if you pull it around with your body like an edge while carving, a little less input is actually better with the higher center of gravity. Aside from that, just take some time to familiarize yourself with how the sled reacts, and keep practicing, it will come. Once you get used to how the sled reacts, it becomes very forgiving and very fun:D:beer;:beer;

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Those guys had some good info.

Don't take the sway bar off. All the IQ's have the sway bar except for the Assault. If you are not liking the tipsy IQ, then pulling the sway bar is the last thing you want. The IQ chassis likes to dive and rolls easy. It will feel awkward at first, but if you are the level of rider you say...you will catch on and then realize how well the IQ will react to your body movements. The only time I don't like my IQ chassis is when I'm hillclimbing in rough conditions. Then the sled is hard to keep in a straight line. Your sled is not the same as the new IQ Raw chassis in the Dragon and Assault, but there are some great information on here to help that sled out. Look to people like Mule, Mountainhorse and others on the 900/755 (your 700 is a 755) sleds.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Hey Guys,

I'm just getting back into riding after 10 years, but rode for about 25 prior to that. The last sled I tore up the hill with was a 96 Indy 600 in 1999. I am an advanced rider, or at least I was until I got onto the new IQ Chassis, (06 RMK 700 159). I cant seem to get this sled to do what I want it to do. I'm told the suspension makes it ride alot different than the older sleds and its like learning to ride all over again. I'm starting to learn it a little better, after about 4 rides now. But it stills feel very foreign to me.

It feels like it dives to the outside on the corners and actually feels "outside heavy" This is partly, I'm sure, due to me learning the new center of gravity and getting used to the sled. But, I need to fix this, I have some thoughts.

Skis, Shocks, Swaybars

1. Get new skis, I'm thinking Powder Pro's, these stock skis are like turning in mashed potatoes.
2. New shocks, I'm looking at Fox Floats 2 to replace the spongy stock shocks on there now.
3. Remove the swaybar. None of the newer IQ chassis's even have it

Here's my question(s):

1. If I'm learning to ride this IQ chassis and I'm going to be taking the swaybar our when I put new shocks on in a few months, should I just take the swaybar out now, so I'm learning the new chassis without it, not with then without?

2. For those of you that went from Gen II or Edge Chassis's to the IQ, what tips or pointers can you give me to start to get more comfortable with the handling of this new sled.

3. Not to pat myself on the back, but I'm a great rider. I just dont feel like one anymore riding this chassis. Is this common for the switch to the IQ style chassis?

I mainly Boondock and sidehill with a little climbing. All my trail riding is to get me to the areas to boondock and sidehill. I do, of course, sidehill off the trail on the way up.

Thanks in advance for any and all input

I have a 06 900 and had the same problem. I got rid of the sway bar and now it handles way better. You will need some new front shocks though. Not sure why Polaris would build a RMK without adjustible shock springs but they did. A heavier front track shock spring (225#)helps it a lot to.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
go with the gripper ski's..they are one of the best ski's on the snow regardless of cost....you might do a set of holz spindles..or 08 and newer spindles(they really improve the handling), you need to ride the IQ different then the edge/gen 2 chassis...for the most part you keep 1 foot on each running board and do very small movements to make it go where you want...I seldom have both feet on one running board and I am a smaller guy at 160....you need to be back a little more on this chassis as well ..if you get the bars a little too forward it becomes real squirrly especially climbing( a good starting point is the tips of the bars just behind the point where the side plastic meets the running board)...good luck...

Premium Features