• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sound Regs--Up dated with new info.

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
According to the State of Colorado Department of Parks:

SAE-J-2567

-Test site either grass or snow
-No personnel, trees, buildings within 16' radius from the center of the machine
-Calibrate dB meter within 0.1 dB on the slow response A scale
-Record the ambient noise level
-Ambient noise should be at least 10 dB lower than sound level of tested machines
-Wind level no greater than 12 mph and area to be snow covered-avoid areas of bare ice.
-Operator sits on seat with feet on footrests.
-Machine warmed up.
-Attach RPM meter or use machines RPM meter
-Measure 157.5 inches from the centerline of the machine to a spot on the exhaust side. Meter must be on the same side as the exhaust outlet.
-Place sound meter on a tripod at 157.5 inch mark on exhaust side.
-Raise microphone to 48 inches above ground surface
-Operator should be advised to nod head when proper RPM speed is reached and maintained.
-Operator should be advised to hold RPM for at least 4 seconds.
CONDUCTING THE TEST
-Operator gradually increases RPM until reaching 4,000RPM +- 250*
-Maintain RPM for at least 4 seconds
-Test is repeated and the two results must be within 2 dB average.
-Average results above 88 dB=FAIL**

**fork over $100 fine
* testers not responsible for burning your belt-BYOB (bring your old belt)

So, there you have it. 88dB may be a problem for twin pipes and glass packs:eek:

BCB

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
The reality is where will we ever see this testing going on. It will have to be a very organized process with all of the parameters outlined. I could really only see this happening at a heavily used area like Vail or Grand Lake. Or at an organized ride like a club event or poker run.

Where I normally ride the chances of them coming out to test 10 or so sleds just will not happen. My sled would most pass, most likely anyway.

If anyone ever did get a ticket seems like a lot of possible loop holes to get out of it.

Thanks for posting up this info...reminds me I need to get my registration. lol I usually wait till the night before the first ride then pay online and print out a temporary. In fact last year I never put the sticker on just carried it, and it was never checked once.

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
According to the State, there will be 28 test units on the snow next year. They include: State Parks Officers, FS and possibly CSP.

It would be nice to have a State certification slip stating that a sled has passed the dB test but so far it is not in the cards.

And yes, it could make for a long day for a group at a popular trail heads like GL, RE, Cottonwood, Vail, Buffalo Park, Tincup, WP, Meadow Creek, Church Park, West Elk, Rifle, Dotsero, and any plowed parking lot that could have FS or State outhouses or groomed club trail systems.

BCB

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
I ride off trail so they can test me in a foot of powder, not on a hardpack trail;) With my tunnel dump can my twins are fairly quiet and the noise is directed away from the meter.

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I ride off trail so they can test me in a foot of powder, not on a hardpack trail;) With my tunnel dump can my twins are fairly quiet and the noise is directed away from the meter.

I was wondering how the tunnel dump can would affect the db level. I joined the AC ranks this year and was thinking about a new can, and thought about this type of system. Only thing is, once big brother learns about it they will find another way to test us. Kind of like everything else in this world, they make the rules and we find every way around them.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
While I agree with you on the fact that these a-holes will try and up the ante, they most likely will never be able to get a separate SAE procedure for a tunnel dump. They could lower the standard 88 DB level but the tunnel dump is simply another way to try and lower the sound level and keep your exhaust free flowing.

I am going to print that procedure off and laminate it on a card to carry with me. Also I will be requesting an autograph and badge # or ID every time I pass the sound test so if/when I fail it I will be taking that to the judge.

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
I was wondering how the tunnel dump can would affect the db level. I joined the AC ranks this year and was thinking about a new can, and thought about this type of system. Only thing is, once big brother learns about it they will find another way to test us. Kind of like everything else in this world, they make the rules and we find every way around them.

Welcome to Cat. The large can makes a noticeable improvement over the juice can I had before and the tunnel dump just helps that much more. It does add a fair amount of backpressure compared to the stinger can though. It's a small compromise for quieter operation. I put on the tunnel dump to help with some powder bogging issues and drop a few decibels. I can't say it made noticeable improvement on the powder bog though. That seems to be a simple matter of intake restriction is my take now. The belly pan intakes that last resort to underhood air are probably the right way to go when it gets over 2' deep. Don't know the flow specs, but it's a fairly wide open can. You do have to factor in a few bends and 8" more pipe to the tunnel but I'm sure it will flow more than stock and lose 5 or 6 pounds. May cause some tuning issues though and actually lose power if you don't have a box. That depends on your fuel map and how forgiving it is. I found the stock can to be tuned very well on the older M's and very quiet, just heavy as heck. Not to get off topic...

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
^^^^^ Thanks for the info. I think for now I am going to stick with the stock can and let other people do the testing on the cans. This way I shouldn't have to worry about sound tickets either.

B

Buff-fan

Dec 4, 2007
Lakewood, CO
Bob, where did you hear that the CSP may be involved with the testing? I don't think there is any truth to that rumor.

G
You can bet your arse Mike from the Gunnison office will be out with his test meter this winter. He was itching to do it last year before they passed the legislation. This guy is a real prick, if your significant other has an implant it better be registered along with your truck, trailer, sled, atv, MC & dog if you happen to have it with you.

So pack your anti prick pills you will need them if you want to leave the test site at all and not end up in the clink for the night. Then have to spend 1000's getting your entire rig out of impound yard.

88dbl is a joke there is going to be a lot of tickets issued and a lot of litigation to follow

Propeller plane flyover at 1000 ft = 88 dB
Food blender = 88 dB

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Higher registration fees, lots of areas closing, sound checks....

Is this the start of Kolorado????? Sure does mimic the heavy regulation that Kalifornia underwent in the mid-90's.....

N

nytro-r6

Dec 15, 2008
Des Moines, IA
When does/did this law take effect? Not from Colorado but coming out to ride this winter... Thought it would be good to know.

Thanks

G
Nov 30, 2007
While I agree with you on the fact that these a-holes will try and up the ante, they most likely will never be able to get a separate SAE procedure for a tunnel dump. They could lower the standard 88 DB level but the tunnel dump is simply another way to try and lower the sound level and keep your exhaust free flowing.

I am going to print that procedure off and laminate it on a card to carry with me. Also I will be requesting an autograph and badge # or ID every time I pass the sound test so if/when I fail it I will be taking that to the judge.

I want to do the same! The clowns of the forest circus already LOVE me!! :rolleyes:

J
Nov 26, 2007
Denver
Let the games begin. They were testing last year at Vail pass near the pay booth on the way out of the lot. I cut up hill from the end of the lot and skipped the whole mess.

rev*baron

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2009
This type of law is just the type of ammo that the tree huggers are wanting. They will use the statistics of how many riders there are and how many tickets issued. If we want to keep our riding areas open WE all need to try to meet this new requirement no matter how painful it is. Trust me it will be a whole lot more painful when they close down our riding all together.

Remember my favorite saying "Figures don't lie....but Liar's Figure!"

Hopefully some advancements can be made in noise reduction that won't cause us to lose power or gain weight. Maybe larger cans made from Carbon fiber to keep the weight down or "white noise" reduction systems that will cancel out some of the higher pitch levels.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
The thing that peevs me is that CSA SUPPORTED THIS!!!!

For all of the hard work they do to protect our riding areas, they rolled over handed the greenies a pre-sharpened knife to stab us with!

Grrr!

MD.

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Maybe the test results will show that a very small population of sleds are found to be non-compliant? Then the noise issue goes away:face-icon-small-hap

This is why the Mile-Hi club is testing our sleds in advance of the law so we can fix any problem and avoid a $100 fine.:cool:

BCB

Premium Features