• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So why do have so many groups-coalitions for bikes, sleds, 4x4s, etc?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
So why do have so many groups-coalitions for bikes, sleds, 4x4s, etc and not just one?
Wouldn’t it be more constructive to pool all the funds into a larger organization (like the NRA or TU) and have chapters for the perspective areas or states?
As we all have our select sport or multi-sport choices the sad fact is we are all lumped into the same use category by the government when it comes to being restricted from the land. By pooling our resources not only will we gain strength and empower the local areas who have the most current battle with more financial backing and member numbers but reduce redundant functions in administration.
Collectively is how the greenies do their work and if we have half a chance to fight back we need to take a page from them and use our numbers to get this done.

Trout Unlimited is a perfect example to employ, collectively if the manufactures can give to just one organization of power your chances of a larger donation increases. Now you get all the motor sports and gear manufacturers to donate along with memberships and local business to kick in we are starting to make ground.

Just my .02

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
Not sure, I think a lot may have to do with areas where different sports are more popular? I do agree though, we have some great organizations out there, some big some smaller.........why not group them together?

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
United we stand, divided we fall.... mmhmm.

I think that with things like NREPA/etc, more of these "coalitions" need to stand up for the common good, rather than bickering between each other. Snowmobilers, dirt bikers, mountain bikers, horseback riders, motorized and non-motorized, all these "groups" against the gov't programs would likely have more power if they stood as one.

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
It's a great idea but you would have to first get past the fighting over land use between the different groups.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Agreed.... pick the fights though. Wilderness = nobody gets it.

not so true >1% of the us does.
back to how uncle Sam puts all of us motorizes (horse back is the only user on two sides) users in the same group when it come to shutting us out. the overall good of collectively keeping it open is the goal!

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah USA
you have some legitimate points, 76.
this issue and idea has just recently been brought up by some peeps here in our area as well. i agree, i think we'd have a much stronger voice if all users across the board would ban together to fight a common cause. more numbers & consolidate funding instead of spreading it among dozens of groups.
a group like the BRC is a good start, now we need to raise awareness and involvement. that, to me, is a BIG problem.

solutions??????

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
I think the hardest part is trying to convince the existing groups to join forces. but a lot of political hoopla to get one to join the other. anybody have ideas?

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
OK, moco good lead-in.

Greenies aren't united. They have total different things they all stand for. Everything from Wilderness Freaks at all expense, to anti mining, to groups that just care about real pollution.

Take the Sierra Club, they want everything wilderness. But, they won't take on global population. About half their members almost quit over that. Huge war, but they now have $100 Million dollars in the bank, to fight us. They sold out. A lot of greenie groups are mad at them over that

Take BRC. They pick their fights. They don't fight for some places, but they fight hard for others. BRC also wears so many hats now adays, that eventually, their going to have to take sides.

SAWS, no more wilderness areas.

ISSA, compromise, but keep snowmobiling open, and fight for it.

A state snowmobile group that I shall not mention anymore, they just care about stupid trail riding in the mountains, not off trail riding, and will give it away in a heartbeat.

All the groups are run by people with different views.

Even the mountain bikers can't agree. Half are for making wilderness, even though they can't use it. Half are against more wilderness. And, there's rumors that they may sell out motorized, if they can get the right deal. Say, allowed to ride in all Roadless.

Horse people, some love wilderness. Some hate wilderness, because you can't get a helicopter in there, to rescue hurt riders, without a lot of red tape. Some horse riders would rather not ride than ride around moutain bikes.

It's complicated.

Premium Features