• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 RMK 2009 Body Panel Conversion

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
900 RMK to 2009 Body Panels: Converted

I got this 2009 Conversion kit from Fastrax Motor Sports.
They have the best price, that I'm aware of, and a great snowmobile business.
I just finished this up yesterday so I thought I'd let everyone know how it went.

This really was quite an easy conversion! The hard part was everything else I did like replacing my intake boots, exhaust gaskets, etc.. and cleaning everything.

Ran into three minor issues and that's all:
1.The air plenum did not properly fit with the new nose cone. This was easily remedied with a heat gun and some shaping of the body piece. (I ended up using a FNI air plenum off set kit for easier adjustability to get the plenum where I needed it to be)

2.If you have an aftermarket pulley cover, like the FNI one I have, you have work some magic and move it's mounting point back because the plastics end to end in the clutch area is about 1/2" less than on the 2006.

3.Also, obviously, the exhaust exits in a different location than the one that comes cut out on the new piece. so you'll have to do something here.
Other than that you have to drill some new rivet holes the 09 has that the older panels didn't

I got new side panels and have decided NOT to vent them. I bent mine up all the time so they just looked bad by the end. Plus I was able to put FNI's High Flow Shock Tower Vents on now, so I should be fine.

some pics:...

Last edited:

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Pics

First make your sled look like this:

Which just requires drilling out a bunch of rivets and some pulling to break the silicone.

I thought this view was quite interesting:
P6070678.jpg

And when you're done it looks like this:
P7080849.jpg

P7080847.jpg

Last edited:

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I'm quite happy!
SO thanks to FastTrax Motorsports and Fire 'n Ice for the awesome parts!

High Flow S.T. Vents (I added some prefilter for extra assurance.)
P7080854.jpg

Lets hear your Questions/ Comments!

S

schmitt

Mar 27, 2008
WI
looks good. What's the reason you would change over to the 09 style if you already had the TCP bumper kit?? I would think that would be stronger?? Just asking.. I like those shock tower vents

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I am changing my 07 to the 09 style also. Two reasons, one, the tunnel/bulkhead is being replaced, so why not put the new style on since they are going to have everything off anyways, second reason, I do not plan on buying a new sled for at least two more years, so for a minimum amount of money, I can make my 07 look the new ones.

Got my kit from Fastrax Motorsports also!

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
looks good. What's the reason you would change over to the 09 style if you already had the TCP bumper kit?? I would think that would be stronger??

Because I was going to have to replace all of the plastics one way or another and this design is far superior and is 3 pieces as opposed to 2, so if I break one in the future it's less work and less $ to replace.

Yes, the TCP was strong as could be, but quite possibly was designed by a third grader. The mounting tabs broke and the install was beyond a pain in the ***! I'm happy to be done with it.

Also, I will be adding an after market extension to the bumper (not yet available) to make it like, say ,the CoBe bumper that wraps around the nose cone offering better protection.

Last edited:

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I should mention.
I am Selling my TCP bumper.
If you're thinking about getting one
this is the way to save some $.

PM me if interested!

If you want to sell your old TCP bumper, I am interested........

Aaron

Replied

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Got my sled on the lift now and doing this today.. I had same damage to one side and it was a no brainer to upgrade since had damage. My Poo dealer sold me the kit for 396 bux...sad part there was a guy on here that listed a kit on Ebay and he let it go for 146 bux!!! whata steal!

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Has anyone done this and used the stock airbox??
Wondering if there is any possible problems with that?

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
LP, that came out nice-you are the only customer we've had do that conversion on a 900-we never even tried it since we figured there wouldn't be enough 900 owners interested-go figure!Glad it worked out for you.

curt

Haha, Now you know!

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
LP, that came out nice-you are the only customer we've had do that conversion on a 900-we never even tried it since we figured there wouldn't be enough 900 owners interested-go figure!Glad it worked out for you.

curt

Add one more to the list ! I am going to do the same!

Premium Features