• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gas tank upgrade instructions

E
Feb 2, 2009
Bellaire, Michigan
can someone please post step by step instructions for upgrading my 503 to the bigger 8.5 gallon gas tank? I want to order it but need to know what I am getting into first, and have a good idea of what needs to be done. Basically I wanted to hear it from the experts on the site. Thanks guys!

S

sc freeride

Dec 2, 2007
There are two areas of minor surgery that need to be performed. One is a brace towards the front that braces the frame side to side. It isn't on the 600s, but it can't be removed completely, as the plastic attaches to it. I cut mine off immediately on the inside of the allen head screws, and ground it smooth. The next part requires a bit more time, as the integrated tool kit holder (???) needs to be cut out from the rear of the plastic. It's an L-shaped area that needs to be cut out flush with the base of the plastic, then a cover needs to be fabbed up to stiffen the area up again. I used a piece of aluminum and riveted it in place.

After that, it should fit (did on mine anyway), but you'll want to check it over really good to see where it rubs. Mine started to wear through on my aluminum patch panel. I added some heavy duty weatherstripping anywhere it may rub. Now my tank fits tight with no slop, so rubbing will hopefully be a non-issue. Total time for the work after figuring out everything you're trying to figure out was a realistic 2-3 hrs, including running around getting things. Oh, you'll also need to drill a couple new holes and get a longer tarp strap.

Good luck!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Can't be said any better.

Just need some pics from both of you showing before and after, then we can cut and paste in "Things to look for" topic.

Maybe one of you 503F guys who purchased your tank as an upgrade kit can scan a copy of the instructions that came with it, Im sure amongst us there's that guy who saves everything?:)

Things to look for topic.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46947

Last edited:
E
Feb 2, 2009
Bellaire, Michigan
hey freeride, can you pop off your rear module and take some pictures for me and post them? id like to see the support area you are talking about as well as how you covered the plastic up with your aluminum. thanks.

S

sc freeride

Dec 2, 2007
I can try to, but it will be a bit, as we're heading out for a trip tomorrow. If I don't contact you with pics, remind me in a week or two via pm.

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
pics

can someone please post step by step instructions for upgrading my 503 to the bigger 8.5 gallon gas tank? I want to order it but need to know what I am getting into first, and have a good idea of what needs to be done. Basically I wanted to hear it from the experts on the site. Thanks guys!

putting taller seat on fri. will have seat/tank off and take some pics. how much did you pay for the tank? new?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Shhhhhh!

bought from dealer in CT. he sold an 07 top gun 800 on ebay and buyer wanted 12 gal tank, so it is basically brand new. will be paying about 300 with shipping.

That was a secret!:D
http://snowhawkadventure.com/inventory.aspx

How many views??:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l118fKX3-xk

REDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDREDRED, gasp, wheez, huff!

Last edited:

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
pics

hey freeride, can you pop off your rear module and take some pictures for me and post them? id like to see the support area you are talking about as well as how you covered the plastic up with your aluminum. thanks.

hope this helps

3-21 002.jpg 3-21 003.jpg 3-21 004.jpg

E
Feb 2, 2009
Bellaire, Michigan
thanks roo! that should help.

Tony... u bought that thing? good work. is your inventory of used hawks up to date on your webpage? might be looking to get another one as soon as i can secure a summer job. thanks everybody.

E
Feb 2, 2009
Bellaire, Michigan
where must new holes be drilled? and for what? still waiting on the tank to get here. getting everything cut and ready though. please post pic of modified brace where plastic attaches. thanks.

wait till you see the new pics of my hawk....

roo

Premium Member
May 12, 2008
sedro woolley WA
plastic?

where must new holes be drilled? and for what? still waiting on the tank to get here. getting everything cut and ready though. please post pic of modified brace where plastic attaches. thanks.

wait till you see the new pics of my hawk....

you will have to get someone else on that one not sure what has to be done there. the two brace mods in the pics on my machine were moving front crossbar back for 550 motor and bracket for back seat bolts, not running plastic!

Premium Features