• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I took your advice on the Hyvo Chain on my KK

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
I had been reading posts on King Cats snapping their chains, so instead of waiting for it to happen; I took my fellow SnowWesters advice.

I installed a Hyvo chain and geared it down.

Went with 20 - 46, and a 74 link chain.

That SOB comes out of the hole like a raped ape. Raced a stock M8 and jumped out 4 sled lengths ahead of him. We were both very impressed.

From a rolling start he was slowly pulling away from me. I'm sure once we hit 70 he would have walked away.

Very Impressive mod. Thanks for the advise...

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Good to hear. The time for you to really thank us is about 3 years from now when it is still all in one piece. Without the hyvo, you would surely take out atleast 2 more chains by them!! Problem with this kind off "mod" is that it is no performance gain, just a longevitey thing and you tend to for get that you even did it!

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
defiantly worth the piece of mind. after the first chain i couldn't bring myself to put the stocker back on.

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
I didn’t get the hyvo gears. But I put the 20/46 gears in my old 900 a few years back and loved them. Great gear combo.

mp_2009

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Great Falls MT
where to shop

Hey i was wondering where u got thie gears and the chain and how much it will run me?

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Look at western power sports, they are listed under 3/4 wide gears which is a 13 wide chain. The bottom gear is the same as a Polaris, the upper is a AC specific 13 spline piece. The lower gear will come with a bronze washer that you don't use. Roughly 175.00+ which is an insurance policy because if the old one breaks it will most likely gather up at the bottom and break the chaincase.

Mike

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The Hyvo is a good setup, but just going to a 20 tooth top sprocket will solve the chain breakage for most guys. 20/43 w 72pitch chain is good. HYVO is better.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Sorry guys I thought this thread was deep 6'd

Where did you order the Hyvo setup from? edit: I saw that in another thread

How are you/others liking the 20:46 Hyvo setup?

I ordered them throught https://blairps.com/index.php The lower sprocket was on back order and took a while to get in, but they finally got the parts in, and they were the right parts.

Price: I'd have to get back to you on that specifically, but I can tell you this; It wasn't cheap.

Gears are great for boondocking and climbing, but I'm not breaking any speed records. If you want to go fast, then the 20 / 46 is not for you. I'd say my top speed is around 70 MPH.

Last edited:
M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Here ya go.

picture.php

One thing I might note is when I went to put the lower sprocket on, I thought they gave me the wrong part for a second because it didn't just slide right on. I took a second and patiently lined it up, and it went on smoothly.

Last edited:

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Did you see an increase in track speeds when climbing in powder? I would guess that gearing down like that would be more efficient on the clutches and you would possibly see an increase in track speeds.

mp_2009

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Great Falls MT
speed

70 mph sounds pretty good do u ever need to go any faster or does that work pretty good for ur riding?

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Track Speed:

The Previous Owner put a 49° helix, so it tended to shift up and down while climbing. I geared it down, and tightened the driven spring. It holds a pretty good track speed. As I noted previously; It jumps out of the hole and keeps pulling.

Top end:

I don't see a need to break any land speed records so it works perfect for me.

The reason that I committed to changing the chain and sprockets is that I didn't want to end up with a broken chain, in an area where I would need brakes. It was just a preventative maintenence measure, but I decided to gear it down after reading the previous posts on the topic.

I am very happy with the performance.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
put a 51 helix in it way better than the 49.

I noticed most went with the 51, and a couple went with the 49. I think I'll be running the 51 by next year, I'll change it when I do a complete clutch service this summer.

Fomoco
Got the rail in, and the shock rebuilt. The rear suspension feels good. I just need to take it out and test it now.
After talking to my brother (he deals with fox a lot on down hill mountain bikes) I deduced that the shock must have a positive, and a negative pressure side to it. The positive side must have had air in it, which created the negative side to effectively over-ride the positive side, and over-ride the spring tension, which allowed it to tank out to the ground.

Wierd ****. Hope I don't have that prob again.

Premium Features