• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Caving at Soapstone!

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Saturday was another adventurous ride in the Uintahs, six if us all headed into a favorite riding area Soapstone Basin. We crossed the majority of the basin before heading back to the truck later in the day, the snow was great and the sun was bright!! As we were heading back crossing an open meadow skirting around the Lightning Ridge cliff band and heading back west Dale (Modular man) decided he wanted to explore an open pit cave! Well not exactly, as we all crested this little hill coming out of a creek bottom I saw what appeared to be a nice drift to go busting through. Dale was several people back, I went first and saw that it was actually on open pit so I rode on by, my dad right behind me slowed to get a better look and saw how dangerous it would be to get too close and he turned around to wave the others off, Dale had approached from behind my dad and didn’t see his waving in time, Dale drove right into this hole and LUCKLY with the speed he had coming in the snowmobile wedged across the open hole and stopped, Dale fell off to the side onto the edge, we still cannot figure out how he did not fall off into this cave…miracle. By the pictures you can tell that we were very lucky in that nobody got hurt or that the sled didn’t get swallowed up in the cave opening. After 2 hours of digging out all the snow to the ground around the sled and with 2 ropes hooked up to the other sleds pulling we got that sled out of there and we were all able to have a great rest of the ride back to the truck, we got back just in time for the sun to go down so no big deal I guess. Enjoy the pictures!

(Little did we know the drama that was unfolding around the corner about .15 miles away from us with Rock Star and gang, two happy endings!)

We knew it was a cave and not a mine shaft because of the moist WARM air flowing up at us, also the entire circumference was iced over very hard, we figure that’s what kept the sled from breaking loose and falling in. The cave opening was about 5’ in diameter and dropped straight down to an unknown depth, we dropped stuff in there to see if we could hear the bottom, nope.

Those who are interested in finding or not finding this cave here are the GPS coordinates;

40 32 57.56 N.
110 55 40.26 W.

Snowcavepictures11-31-09.jpg

Snowcavepictures21-31-09.jpg

Snowcavepictures31-31-09.jpg

Snowcavepictures41-31-09.jpg

Snowcavepictures51-31-09.jpg

Snowcavepictures61-31-09.jpg

Snowcavepictures71-31-09.jpg

Snowcavepictures81-31-09.jpg

We tried to mark this hole so people wouldn't follow our tracks into it, kinda did a piss poor job at it I guess, Man can you imagine how useless this thread would be without pictures!

Last edited:
B

built4dtuff

Dec 17, 2002
Northern Utah
There is one of those up in Monte. I always see tracks around it but it scares me. Right out in the open. The one up to monte is about 12-15 feet wite and maybe 15 deep...All rock in the bottom. Someone would be seriously hurt if they went in!

That did look like a great drift to bust:)

G

girlpowder

K. I'm kind of scared to ride Soapstone right now.:rolleyes: Wonder why.:confused:

F
Jan 7, 2005
Greenville, NC
Good find, I remember last year watching/helping guys pull/winch
two sleds out of one of the SINKS up by beaver mtn.

Both sleds hit the hole(one after another) both riders, missed the hole.

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
Those who are interested in finding or not finding this cave here are the GPS coordinates;

42 32 57.56 N.
110 55 40.26 W.

you sure these coords are right? I entered them in topo and it put me north somewhere near the Idaho and Wyoming border... my Unit settings are Degrees, Minutes, and Seconds, NAD83/WGS84.

I wanna see how close we've come to this spot while previously riding soapstone. I also wonder why the forest service wouldn't drop a grate over the opening or something to minimize the hazzard.

B
Jan 8, 2009
There's more than one up at Monte. I can immediately think of 2 within a mile of each other, and neither is very far off the main trail. I don't have GPS coordinates, but the attached shows where they are in relation to the "Dairy Ridge" turnoff.

Monte sink holes.jpg

Premium Features