• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 dragon frt bumper/plastic upgrade

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
hey guys I updated my frt bumper/plastic with the factory kit..figured I would post a few pics for those interested..also did some other mods including, holz rear skid, with carls valved floats,float-2 frt. ski shocks(on my frt shocks I had to grind the upper mnts back a bit to clear the float body(see pic),Vf-3 reeds,Slp powder valves, as well as some more Slp vents(I used the right side shock vent on both sides(bigger),and the polaris projector beam headlite kit, and I still have a gravity works throttle kit and some new clutch stuff to do...
Picture071-1.jpg

IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/Picture056.jpg[/IMG]
Picture065.jpg

Picture070-1.jpg

Picture077.jpg

Picture081.jpg

Picture039.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
polaris suggested retail is 500.00 I got a deal on mine...I like it, it drops 6 pds and polaris says it cuts thru the snow much better then the older front end...plus a real bumper to boot..

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
makes me wanna get down to the garage and finish up my sled.....I's almost done. :) You riding tomorrow?

Sled looks real nice! Looks like it was a lot of work?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
thanks Andrew, actually it was pretty simple...everything lined right up and all holes were drilled but 5-6...biggest pain was getting the frt floats to not hit the mnts...thats why in the first pics they were body down..as for tomorrow..no riding for me.. my son is bad sick so am being dad nurse....next weekend I hope... besides still have some things left to do including cleaning that dirty thing up...lol

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
How long did it take for you to do the swap? Looks nice, considering doing it to mine.

I did it in about 4 hrs(but 30 yrs turning wrenches everyday) but the average rider/wrencher should easily do it in a weekend. there is not more then a half dozen holes to drill(uses almost all the original holes)the kit comes with everything but a small tube of silicone(for resealing the plastic to the bulkhead)and the fit and finish is much better then the 08 plastic..

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Nice job Mike, now maybe it'll snow. What kind of mod to the A Arm, notice some bare metal....not rock hunting?
Did you weigh your stock suspension? The 2009 155" weighs 49.5, estimating the 2009 163 at 51 so yours maybe about 53-54?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Nice job Mike, now maybe it'll snow. What kind of mod to the A Arm, notice some bare metal....not rock hunting?
Did you weigh your stock suspension? The 2009 155" weighs 49.5, estimating the 2009 163 at 51 so yours maybe about 53-54?

no rock hunting..just lost the powder coating last season...need to touch that up but was figuring to get holz's frt 09 arms(just released)since everything else is 09 up frt....yea forgot to put weight in there complete stock skid was just over 53 pds...question for you to ron, did you do anything with the gap between the hood and the bellypan right behind the bumper? was thinking about glueing some flowrite material to the inside of the bellypan then duct taping it to the inside of the hood .(so you could remove the hood if needed).and the mod to the mount wasn't on the a-arm but on the bulkhead mount(installed shocks body down until I ground the brackets back)the float body diameter is big enough to make it hit hard on the inner part of the mount..ended up grinding it back almost a 1/4 in. as marked in the first pic...

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
no rock hunting..just lost the powder coating last season...need to touch that up but was figuring to get holz's frt 09 arms(just released)since everything else is 09 up frt....yea forgot to put weight in there complete stock skid was just over 53 pds...question for you to ron, did you do anything with the gap between the hood and the bellypan right behind the bumper? was thinking about glueing some flowrite material to the inside of the bellypan then duct taping it to the inside of the hood .(so you could remove the hood if needed).and the mod to the mount wasn't on the a-arm but on the bulkhead mount(installed shocks body down until I ground the brackets back)the float body diameter is big enough to make it hit hard on the inner part of the mount..ended up grinding it back almost a 1/4 in. as marked in the first pic...

I'll look at your pic again but my mount clears the shock...just barely. Very close with ski hanging free, maybe 1/8", good clearances under compression. Hope I haven't missed something!
The hole between the bumpers will likely scoop some snow into the nose but my hood (nose) uses the space during opening/closing. If it's an issue looks like building a dam with aluminum or a piece of pet screen farther back might work?
Edit-Mike forgot to thank you for sending all the storms our way. Moisture yesterday, today and all week in the forcast. Given the right temps looks like a go for Idaho.

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I'll look at your pic again but my mount clears the shock...just barely. Very close with ski hanging free, maybe 1/8", good clearances under compression. Hope I haven't missed something!
The hole between the bumpers will likely scoop some snow into the nose but my hood (nose) uses the space during opening/closing. If it's an issue looks like building a dam with aluminum or a piece of pet screen farther back might work?

I think looking at your pics that the 09's have more space ron...with the suspension hanging I couldnt even get the top bolt started with the body up...I figured I would try it in deep snow and if it fills the nose with snow I will figure out something...so you havent gotten to ride yet either? looking forward to hearing how great it all works togeather...

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
We got a decent dump, maybe 15" and lots of sleds out on the logging roads. It's killing me but I'm gonna wait just a little longer.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
We got a decent dump, maybe 15" and lots of sleds out on the logging roads. It's killing me but I'm gonna wait just a little longer.

LOL,I know exactly what you mean about it killing you..was figuring to ride P-ville today(descent snow-2 hr drive).but my son is sick as a dog so am playing dad nurse today..will most likely ride next weekend and forcast looks like more snow coming....

skyman

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2008
Thanks for the info aksnowrider I just got my 09 bumper upgrade but I still waiting on the bumper from skins I will post some pics when I ge mine done:beer;

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Mike-I think I figured it out:light::light::light:. I ran Floats last year without grinding the mounts & no apparent contact with the mount. Without the sway bar your arms can drop lower maybe causing the clearance issue. Something for those removing the swaybar to think about.,,,everytime you get air your shock is going to hit on the mounting bracket.

Premium Features