• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo kit 2015 assault

T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
Start off with I live in MN and want a turbo kit for my assault. I have read that many like the Silber setup and that many don't.. I'm looking for advice from you guys if its even worth having a turboed sled in MN? I go to Wyoming once a year for a week as well. I don't want to buy the wrong setup nor do I want to waste my money if you think its not worth it to have one in MN. I am a adrenaline junkie and would love more power. I have no experience with a turbo on a sled so the easiest kit to get I assume is the Silber setup? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to make the wrong choice.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I am not going to tell you if you need one or not.

If you do plan on changing reeds out every 500-1000 miles, We have seen about 700 miles.

Silber kit with the ECU flash will be the easiest. No cutting, just bolt on.

Kenny B

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2008
Corner Brook, Newfoundland
You might have clearance issues with the silber billet boots with secondary injectors, mine fouled on the tunnel/Bulkhead cooler. Well the injector clips fouled. If yours has one it might not work, if it doesn't then no worries. Other then that, everyone needs boost if you can handle the increased maintenance, parts, fuel. fustrations from time to time...

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
You might have clearance issues with the silber billet boots with secondary injectors, mine fouled on the tunnel/Bulkhead cooler. Well the injector clips fouled. If yours has one it might not work, if it doesn't then no worries. Other then that, everyone needs boost if you can handle the increased maintenance, parts, fuel. fustrations from time to time...

No secondary injectors with the ECU flash. Much more room and much cleaner!

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
No secondary injectors with the ECU flash. Much more room and much cleaner!
Once Silber has a complete system with a proven track record you might consider it.
Every year he comes out with a bigger better system that is supposed to be the end all be all.
So this year lets try a re flash, maybe it works maybe it doesn't
Ask yourself? "Do you feel lucky"
I had Silber kit in the past. Its basic with cheap components. Not what you want for a turbo snowmobile. IMO.....

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
Once Silber has a complete system with a proven track record you might consider it.
Every year he comes out with a bigger better system that is supposed to be the end all be all.
So this year lets try a re flash, maybe it works maybe it doesn't
Ask yourself? "Do you feel lucky"
I had Silber kit in the past. Its basic with cheap components. Not what you want for a turbo snowmobile. IMO.....

They've been running flawlessly for over a year with the reflash, and even before the reflash, if set up properly, they ran great.

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
Start off with I live in MN and want a turbo kit for my assault. I have read that many like the Silber setup and that many don't.. I'm looking for advice from you guys if its even worth having a turboed sled in MN? I go to Wyoming once a year for a week as well. I don't want to buy the wrong setup nor do I want to waste my money if you think its not worth it to have one in MN. I am a adrenaline junkie and would love more power. I have no experience with a turbo on a sled so the easiest kit to get I assume is the Silber setup? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to make the wrong choice.

Its not worth it in MN to have a turbo PERIOD. Been there done that It's a Pain in the A$$. Rode my M7 turbo here for many yrs, alawys watching egt,afr, and coolant temp!!!

You will have to run less then 5psi to keep the motor alive and you better make sure you can get atleast 91oct where ever you ride.

The only way I would do a turbo sled for the midwest is a 4-stroke. I rode my turbo nytro 1100 miles 2yrs ago her in MN not a single issue. Could never do that with a 2-stroke.

Mike

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
They've been running flawlessly for over a year with the reflash, and even before the reflash, if set up properly, they ran great.
Go back and read the Bullydog thread 9 months ago.
Go back and read the numerous Dobeck threads.
Or look at the cheap blowoff valve.
Or the the oil tank with the gravity drain running uphill. What kind of idiot thinks the oil will run uphill. The oil mess from that design is awful.
Read how many Slober owners, want to buy the self lubricating Turbo. Some of the other systems with a properly designed oil system don't seem to be a problem.I have another manufactures turbo system with a oil tank, ran it all last year no problem. After a year with Silbers, I certainly was leary. A year of that nonsense ,and I have a bad taste in my mouth. IMO. Spend a bit more money and look elsewhere.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Done 5 silber reflash kits among our local riding crew. Some internally gated, some externally gated. ALL run amazingly, they are the cleanest kits I have ever been around for install and no hacking up your stock sled.

We were up testing some things in cooke yesterday and had a DOO go down. Took a '13 silber reflashed pro and dragged it out. Steady throttle midrange for 15 miles towing, no issues. On the hill before that, crisp and cleaner then some stockers I have ridden. Not the first time we have used a reflashed silber pro to drag something out with NO issues with mile after mile in the midrange at steady throttle. They get treated like a stocker. Fresh 91 and maybe some av depending on boost and elevation and ride it like ya stole it.

I rode the original mapping for the reflash and it was nothing to brag about. But the mapping they got dialed in last winter that come out and is on all this years stuff runs flawlessly for me from 4-11k in -10* to 65*F Not saying it doesn't work out of those ranges, just where I have personally rode them.

Most all concerns being brought up are from older kits in which the components have been either upgraded or eliminated (extra injector fitament issue, etc)

As for why guys want the self lube kit. It drops over 5# off the sled, eliminates oil pump draw(major plus on a pro) and cleans up the install to a point where it looks less cluttered under the hood then stock. Not many other kits can say that!

Last edited:
E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
I think if you were considering turboing a sled in the Midwest and primarily riding at sealevel, consider something with Vipec. Coming from Iowa, I know a lot of ppl who drive hours and are disappointed by the end of their trip because they tinkered all day.

The Vipec is an awesome solution for that. Give Bryce at Turbo Performance a call. Or Push Turbo's is in MN also.

Good Luck!

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Go back and read the Bullydog thread 9 months ago.
Go back and read the numerous Dobeck threads.
Or look at the cheap blowoff valve.
Or the the oil tank with the gravity drain running uphill. What kind of idiot thinks the oil will run uphill. The oil mess from that design is awful.
Read how many Slober owners, want to buy the self lubricating Turbo. Some of the other systems with a properly designed oil system don't seem to be a problem.I have another manufactures turbo system with a oil tank, ran it all last year no problem. After a year with Silbers, I certainly was leary. A year of that nonsense ,and I have a bad taste in my mouth. IMO. Spend a bit more money and look elsewhere.

Love how these always have someone bashing Silber.

What year kit did you have.

Does not everything get better with time? Do things not change?

Yes there has been issues in the past and that is to be expected with aftermarket parts in this industry. We had all kinds of issues with the 11 BD kit, hitting DET, tuning was hard to get and a few other issues.

BD has a good kit but is harder to install (requires cutting your tunnel). We have a 13 BD kit as well. Had heck getting it tuned with no support from BD. Running pretty good now. Oil tank leaks every time it is rolled.

I love my Silber kit, oil tank and all. The ECU flash with larger injectors is working spot on. No tuning just pull and go.

The OP is looking for info on ease of setup. Maybe give info based on that?:noidea:

Kenny B

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2008
edavis is right, if your going to run at sealevel, your going to need more tune capability, and some serious intercooling. I have had my kit for 3 years now, started out as Boondocker kit, all the bells and whistles, this was before they even offered a low elevation kit, well clutching anyway. In two years I burned 11 drums(52 Gallon) of 116 race gas and put on 5600 miles(last year I rode 14kms due to workng :face-icon-small-dis).... for low elevation, no matter what the Seller says, they need work, low compression heads, LOTS of octane (for my boost level anyway). 4.5 to 6 is all your getting with charge temps that are low, like really low, and some heads for 91(reliably). Is it possible, yes, is it costly... yes. I tried 1 year ago to set the sled up on 91 with the box that came with it, 4.5#'s, -3 timing box, got 50kms and it det'd and killed the motor,then spit parts out thru the turbo. Tune was good, just inconsistent charge temps in the trees(Low Air flow even with vent kits that were on the panels as supplied by kit seller/manufacture) and inconsistent fuel. Look at a kit with at least the Vipec(or something like it), and a water to air intercooler and some heads. Build in safety margins.

Kenny B

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2008
Your right AKFULLTHROTTLE, everything should get better with time. :) Everything has growing pains, I can recall just about every kit manufacture having a thread or two on here somewhere where this didn't work or that. And nothing is prefect, sure if Ford, Chev or Dodge can't get it right 100% of the time, then how can some guys building kits on a small scale get it right 100% of the time. It just not statisticaly possible. I have heard good things about the reflash, and large injectors, I even had a thread on here asking about the value of upgrading my setup to a single set of 1000cc Injectors. As I'm the only person in NL with a turbo PRO that I know or heard about, then my brand kit experience is low. I can only talk about my experiences and what works or doesn't work for me. Water to Air intercooler - Works, dropped from 100+ degs C to 40ish on average, Heads - worked, Vipec - worked flawless. I built a IQR 800cfi Turbo for a guy last year, basically a boondocker kit, pitched the box and put on a Vipec. Worked Awesome on pump, 4.5#'s. But I could see the Intake temps creep in the trees, that why I recommend the Water to Air, just for that consistency. Heads is that safety margin, with the fuel quality in my parts being shady, its insurrance. But so is a few gallons of race gas.... :) I'm sure what ever kit the man gets, it'll work out, so long as he doesn't go pushing the boost level higher then his octane can support.

Last edited:
E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
edavis is right, if your going to run at sealevel, your going to need more tune capability, and some serious intercooling. I have had my kit for 3 years now, started out as Boondocker kit, all the bells and whistles, this was before they even offered a low elevation kit, well clutching anyway. In two years I burned 11 drums(52 Gallon) of 116 race gas and put on 5600 miles(last year I rode 14kms due to workng :face-icon-small-dis).... for low elevation, no matter what the Seller says, they need work, low compression heads, LOTS of octane (for my boost level anyway). 4.5 to 6 is all your getting with charge temps that are low, like really low, and some heads for 91(reliably). Is it possible, yes, is it costly... yes. I tried 1 year ago to set the sled up on 91 with the box that came with it, 4.5#'s, -3 timing box, got 50kms and it det'd and killed the motor,then spit parts out thru the turbo. Tune was good, just inconsistent charge temps in the trees(Low Air flow even with vent kits that were on the panels as supplied by kit seller/manufacture) and inconsistent fuel. Look at a kit with at least the Vipec(or something like it), and a water to air intercooler and some heads. Build in safety margins.

Thanks Kenny! The advantages Vipec has over ANY other fuel programmer is that is compensates for elevation and you don't have to worry about changing clutching, fuel, domes, mixing fuel, or any other BS...

91 pump at sea level on 8lbs will be a hand full if you ask me! The guys who have the Vipecs on their sleds and selling the kits know the advantages of everything it has to offer.

Don't forget Shane at HM Turbos up in Montana, I THINK he has dealers in northern Iowa as well.

and PS...not ALL sea level is the same when it comes to air density and tuning...FYI

T
Jun 14, 2014
Coon Rapids Mn
Wow tons of info! It sounds like there's a lot more to this than I had expected. I understand tuning somewhat, but this may be over my head. I will have to look into vipec as I don't know what it does or how it works. Well I got a idea what it does anyways.. In your guys opinion maybe I should just do a big bore instead of a turbo? I don't know how reliable they are tho either. A lot of good info from you all I appreciate it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Wow tons of info! It sounds like there's a lot more to this than I had expected. I understand tuning somewhat, but this may be over my head. I will have to look into vipec as I don't know what it does or how it works. Well I got a idea what it does anyways.. In your guys opinion maybe I should just do a big bore instead of a turbo? I don't know how reliable they are tho either. A lot of good info from you all I appreciate it.
Call Justin Silber and talk with him, he lives, rides and does plenty of tuning in MN, as well as his constant treks to the mountains.

He can answer your questions regarding current kits better then any forum ranting will.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Anyone that tells you 2 stroke turbos are no good down low don't know what they are talking about. I am on my 2nd turbo and live at 800ft have 3,000 miles at least around here running 8+ psi with not one issue. You do need a couple of things..1. someone that knows how to set it up for low elevation!(MOST IMPORTANT!!) 2. Good fuel (ran mostly 100LL till last year I ran 91 with a vipec at 8 psi).

I don't take it on all day poker runs but I do take it on 50-100 mile loops with my buddies just as long as I know I can get somewhere with good fuel. I run cat 800 but don't think that matters.

Premium Features