• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Camping in the snowy range

A
Oct 9, 2014
Has anyone here ever pulled a camper to the snowy range and done any camping? Looking at pulling the camper out and finding a dispersed camping area to pull off on and camp for a couple days. Wondering if anyone had suggestions of what areas would be best to find a spot.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I knew a guy who pulled a huge 5th wheel toy hauler and camped at rob roy.

We pulled an atv trailer up by rob roy and unloaded in the big open meadow which is just northeast of there. Many campers on the edge of that meadow.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
We were up there last weekend and there were quite a few campers in the Rob Roy area. There was still a few patches of snow in the trees, but the roads were all dry and everything is accessible. We stayed at my parents cabin and rode ATVs around all weekend.

There are some good spots along Elk Creek and other areas around the reservoir, but if you want to get away from everyone you may want to camp a little further away from the lake. There are good dispersed areas along many of the forest service roads, so you could go up, drop an ATV and go look for a spot too.

There were a ton of moose and elk around last weekend and we saw a bald eagle Sunday morning. Two bears were also checking out some of the cabins in the Rambler Sunday morning (tore apart a tunnel bad on a snowmobile that was sitting outside) so plan & bear proof as needed.

TMK

A
Oct 9, 2014
Thanks tmk50. If Im coming from Laramie and drive past Albany and take that gravel road up the mountain where would you suggest going? Does that road take you to Rob Roy? If so where do I go past Rob Roy to get to a good spot. We won't have atvs with. It will be a family trip. Pickup pulling a medium to small size camper is all. I did some research and made some calls and it sounds like I have to camp 100 foot off the road but no more than 300 foot. Is it hard to find a nice spot to pull a camper off the road 200 to 300 feet? I'm a little concerned about being able to find a decent spot.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Yes - The road out of albany is FS 500 and takes you to Rob Roy (follow the signs), if you take that up the area I am talking about is at Rob Roy where T trail intersects it going north toward Libby Flats. That is where Elk Creek flows into Rob Roy. Take a right onto "T" trail and then take your first left on the FS road that parallels Elk Creek. You will see a bunch of spots there (get there early).

The other area that Coldfinger pointed out is the first point on the road that goes over Rob Roy (before the "official" Rob Roy campground and boat ramp). Turn right on that road and it will take you towards Cinnabar Park (the big open area where a you can camp as well).

You will find lots of spots, I don't know how often the 100' rule is enforced, there are some spots that seem to be within 100' that I see people use all the time.

If you want to play it completely safe - I think there are some good spots in the Rob Roy campground. You will have to pay the fee, but there are outhouses and trash dumpsters in that campground, but lots of traffic and boats going in and out of the lake during the day.

Don't sweat it too much, you will find a spot, and probably see a dozen more that you will want to try in the future. Holiday weekends get crowded, but on a normal weekend if you get up there in a reasonable time on Friday afternoon you should be able to find a spot that you like.

Premium Features